Adding Time stamps to my notes

@gratibunda I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to produce the keystrokes-- are you using a different keyboard? Are you on the Windows / Mac clients (that is, not in the web client on those operating systems)? I just checked with the Mac client and the hotkeys they showed worked. They were also in the menus under Format > Insert Date and Insert Time.

• Level 5*

I can verify that the keyboard commands for the Windows client are also correct:

* Hold down the Ctrl key, and press the ';' (semicolon) key

* Hold down the Alt and Shift keys, and press the 'D' key

There are no menu commands to do this in Windows, as far as I know

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gratibunda said:

does it mean I need to have the desktop app to use this feature?

Yes, the keystrokes are an Evernote desktop feature; also IOS (with an external keyboard)

There are alternative methods to generate time stamps; various scripting utilities, Applescript on Macs, ...

• Level 5*

Got it. I need to upgrade my plan again...

You don't need to upgrade your plan to use the desktop application.

does it mean I need to have the desktop app to use this feature?

Not necessarily. If your computer supports some sort of third-party tool that lets you insert text strings into any text edit context (I'm thinking of AutoHotkey or Phrase Express in Windows; I'm sure that there's a similar facility available on the Mac), then you can use that to inject a time stamp into the web client's note editor as well.

There is a Chrome Extension called "Evernote Shortcuts" that I used for a short period of time when I had to delete the Windows app. It was very useful for the Web App especially if you like keyboard shortcuts.

You might want to check that out to see if there is a shortcut for the time stamp.

I'm on a MAC and would love to have the keystrokes work as mentioned. I'll check out the suggestions. I'm assuming I need to upgrade my plan to enjoy the keystrokes if I don't find success with the other suggestions made...

Thanks!

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, gratibunda said:

I'm on a MAC and would love to have the keystrokes work as mentioned. I'll check out the suggestions. I'm assuming I need to upgrade my plan to enjoy the keystrokes if I don't find success with the other suggestions made...

It's not a "plan" thing.  The keystrokes work on the Mac platform with  all account levels.

Documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313358-Keyboard-shortcuts-in-Evernote-for-Mac

⇧ ⌘ D Insert Date
⌥ ⇧ ⌘ D Insert Time
  • Level 5*
44 minutes ago, gratibunda said:

Still can't use the Shift - Option - D keystrokes successfully in the browser. What the? Just want to add timestamps as I enter text into a single note.

You need to be specific when you identify the platform you're using.  On my Mac computer, I can run Mac Platform, Windows Platform, Web Platform (browser).

When we report on keyboard shortcuts on the Mac Platform, this is Evernote's Mac desktop software.

Archived