Open to Notebooks view rather than notes

JmeC

Idea

Hello!,

I just wanted to give some feedback on something that I would like to see. It is not a huge deal, but it would be kinda cool if there was an option to open Evernote to the notebooks view rather that just a giant list of notes, Or maybe even to open to a specific notebook of your choosing. I know it is just a minor inconvenience but I appreciate you taking the time to read my suggestion!

JmeC

8 replies to this idea

On 4/27/2018 at 12:08 PM, JmeC said:

Hello!,

I just wanted to give some feedback on something that I would like to see. It is not a huge deal, but it would be kinda cool if there was an option to open Evernote to the notebooks view rather that just a giant list of notes, Or maybe even to open to a specific notebook of your choosing. I know it is just a minor inconvenience but I appreciate you taking the time to read my suggestion!

JmeC

I think any feedback should be welcomed especially if it has not been covered anywhere else. I am not sure if I have seen this suggestion. 

• Level 5*
On 4/27/2018 at 9:08 AM, JmeC said:

Hello!,

JmeC

Can't always open to the notebook view at this point. 

You can open to a notebook of your choice however.  Just select the notebook you want when you open EN and do a File - Exit.  From that point on that will be the active notebook when you start EN.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JmeC said:

Thanks for the tip and listening to suggestion! I personally prefer this product to other similar ones. Thanks for that!

You are welcome.

The other thing you might try is a combination of ENScript.exe and StandaloneStack. The ENScript.exe is a utility that comes installed with the Evernote. The ENScript lets you set up shortcuts to the Evernote saved searches, including notebooks, on your desktop. The StandaloneStack is used to make accessing those shortcuts easier from the desktop. Here is the complication of all the information I have about ENScript: ENScript.exe Usage Public Table of Contents Note. The information to get you started is contained in Make Evernote More Approachable with Custom Windows 7 Integration note. If you want to see how I use ENScript and StandaloneStack, you might want to check  How I Create and Organize Evernote Saved Searches on the Desktop using ENScript.exe. The steps contained in the "Steps involved in creating shortcut" after step 5 are my personal preference. Whatever icon you choose, the shortcut will work. I did not dive too deep into StandaloneStack options, I only went to screens deep. The negative aspect of using ENScript is that when the search is executed through it, it does not adhere to the View preferences set up previously in the Evernote. At least for the saved searches. It does so for the notebooks. I hope you will find information about ENScript.exe useful.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, keisoko said:

The other thing you might try is a combination of ENScript.exe and StandaloneStack.

You don't need a 3rd-party tool like StandaloneStack to do this sort of thing. You can make easily make your own taskbar toolbars that reference a folder of shortcuts, and they can display as toolbars or as popup menus. I use these for tons of stuff, though not for Evernote.

3 hours ago, jefito said:

You don't need a 3rd-party tool like StandaloneStack to do this sort of thing. You can make easily make your own taskbar toolbars that reference a folder of shortcuts, and they can display as toolbars or as popup menus. I use these for tons of stuff, though not for Evernote.

You are right. I do not need to use StandaloneStack in principal to achieve the same thing. However, I prefer it. It is also free to use as toolbars would be, it requires no installation as it a zip file: just unzip an use.  When using Stack, all I have to do is set it up, create a shortcut and then pin it to the taskbar. Yes, the toolbar will let me do the same thing, but unlike toolbar, it is just an icon. So it does not take much space. The other difference between them is that when employing Stack everything is right there. I have 95 items in my Evernote Saved Searches folder and if I use the toolbar I have to do a lot of scrolling. With Stack, all I need to do is to click on stack icon, the grid will come up and everything is right there. I like it that way. I did use your suggestion to achieve something that I wanted to do for the long time, but was not able to do with StandaloneStack. Thank you. Except for this one thing, StandaloneStack works for me.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, keisoko said:

Yes, the toolbar will let me do the same thing, but unlike toolbar, it is just an icon. So it does not take much space. The other difference between them is that when employing Stack everything is right there. I have 95 items in my Evernote Saved Searches folder and if I use the toolbar I have to do a lot of scrolling. With Stack, all I need to do is to click on stack icon, the grid will come up and everything is right there.

Sure, whatever floats your boat -- I was pointing out an easy alternative. 95 icons sounds like a lot to keep straight for me -- the toolbar method allows you to make subfolders that act just like little submenus (hey, hierarchically organized saved searches!!), and it's pretty easy to set up. I keep one for my Desktop and one that has frequently used applications, organized in subfolders, plus an actual toolbar with icons. Simple, free, and works for me...

Archived