Limiting Search

I use Evernote for my receipts backup.  I import via email or drag/drop, creating individual notes for receipts in the Inbox.  I then move them to a RECEIPTS Notebook. 

A Couple of Questions: 

1) Is there a way to automate this (I am on a Mac) so I don't need to tag or drag the receipts note into the folder?

2) When searching, I have key notebooks I look at, but I don't want to have results from the receipts notebook come up when I do a general search.  I know I can do saved searches, but is there a way to do a search that EXCLUDES certain notebooks or tags?

• Level 5*
On 2018-04-26 at 9:14 AM, Loomis said:

Is there a way to automate this (I am on a Mac)

My favourite automation tool is scripting on my Mac.  
Mail and Evernote have a built in scripting layer.  I posted info at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112316-scripting-on-a-mac-applescript/

I use a Process-Inbox script to process notes in my inbox notebook: assigning tags/notebook, reminder, title, calendar ...

>>is there a way to do a search that EXCLUDES certain notebooks or tags?

Not for notebooks, but you can include    -tag:aaaaaaa
Search documentation at  Evernote Search Grammar

This works for me because I would be assigning tag:Receipts instead of notebook:Receipts

Unfortunately no excluding notebooks as DTLow mentioned. You can bulk-add a tag to the entire notebook (go to the notebook, select all notes in the list-- easiest to do in one of the list views-- and then add tags in the bulk actions thing in the middle) and exclude the tag. It's an extra step, but currently the only way to do this. Or you could just use the tag and not put them in a notebook.

17 hours ago, rezecib said:

Unfortunately no excluding notebooks as DTLow mentioned. You can bulk-add a tag to the entire notebook (go to the notebook, select all notes in the list-- easiest to do in one of the list views-- and then add tags in the bulk actions thing in the middle) and exclude the tag. It's an extra step, but currently the only way to do this. Or you could just use the tag and not put them in a notebook.

I would go with the tag option vs. the notebook in this case. 

-notebook:"xxx" would be really nice by the way similar to the -tag:"xxx" search ;) This has been requested by some in the forums.

For my receipts and invoices I get in email, I just save the image/pdf to my downloads\receipts folder (or print the email to PDF, using Chrome in my case), which I've set as an Evernote import folder, and you can pick which database notebook you automatically import into.  And an easy way to exclude databases from search would be to have a stack of notebooks that you search and a stack that you don't search, so when you are searching you first pick the notebook stack you are searching within. 

Another benefit of this is it can come from any source (ie, saving the PDF from my online banking, evernote imports it automatically.  Or I have a google drive/dropbox folder that does the same so I can do this from anywhere), and it even supports drag and drop as you could drag and drop into the import folder, and it automatically ends up in the desired database.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, CraigZ said:

you can pick which database you automatically import into

Notebook?

We can also set up import folders on Macs.  
Its a little more setup because we use a script to control the import process, however we have more control; assigning titles, notebooks, tags, ...

• Level 5*
On 4/26/2018 at 9:14 AM, Loomis said:

I use Evernote for my receipts backup.  I import via email or drag/drop, creating individual notes for receipts in the Inbox.  I then move them to a RECEIPTS Notebook. 

A Couple of Questions: 

1) Is there a way to automate this (I am on a Mac) so I don't need to tag or drag the receipts note into the folder?

2) When searching, I have key notebooks I look at, but I don't want to have results from the receipts notebook come up when I do a general search.  I know I can do saved searches, but is there a way to do a search that EXCLUDES certain notebooks or tags?

1) You can forward the emails to your EN account with the notebook and tags at the end of the subject, @notebook #tag1 #tag2.  You can also set focus in your RECEIPTS notebook and drag the attachment to the note list.  This will create a note in the RECEIPTS notebook.

2) Add the tag Receipt to all the receipt notes and add -tag:Receipt to your search.  Or as mentioned above create a stack with all but the RECEIPTS notebook in it. 

Archived