Fonts Don't Match

pikov

I have evernote on both my Windows 10 PC and my Android devices.  The Android devices show a slightly different font for some lines in some notes from the PC version which has  the same font for all lines in all notes.

How do I sync these? How do I chage font in the Andoid version?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

If you use a specific font; I would expect a common display between devices.  
Otherwise we see the default device font.

For my iPad; there's no font selection and the default font is San Francisco.
My Mac, I can set the default font.

Not sure what you mean. I can set the font on the PC to whatever I want. I expect the android version to use rhe same font if it has it, or the default font. But what do I do about different size fonts in an Anoid note?

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, pikov said:

I can set the font on the PC to whatever I want

You can set the default device font.  You can also set specific fonts within the note content.

>>I expect the android version to use rhe same font if it has it, or the default font.

This would only apply to specific fonts within the note content,
otherwise, the note carries no font specification.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pikov said:

What is a device font?

I don't understand your second comment. How would I set the font on an Android?

Hi.  A device font is whatever standard typeface that device uses when there's no other specified - the default font setting.  You can't directly make a choice on Android - I don't know enough about how fonts work to know how they scale,  but I'd imagine 12pt text on a mobile screen would take up a lot of space,  whereas it would look fairly normal on a desktop monitor.  It is possible to specify a font setting for notes in the Desktop version,  and if you choose a specific font,  that's what should be shown on any device - although again I'd imagine,  in different sizes depending on the device screen size.

OK. You say Device font where I would say Windows font. :-)

Interesting as this is, it doesn't answer this question:

When I look at a note on my Android device, some of the characters are a different font and/or size from the others in that note. Since all the characters in that note in Windows are the same -- font and size --, how did the Android ones get to be different?

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, pikov said:

When I look at a note on my Android device, some of the characters are a different font and/or size from the others in that note. Since all the characters in that note in Windows are the same -- font and size --, how did the Android ones get to be different?

I'd have to look at the html code behind the note.

By default, there wii be no font specification whatsoever.  All characters will  be displayed the same at the default font.

If you're seeing something different, I'm guessing there's specific fonts specified in the code.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, pikov said:

Simple answer is that font management across platforms for EN needs work.  One would think if you create a note in default font on one device it would appear as default font on the other device.  EN does not always work that way.  I haven't found all the rhyme or reason to it, but I think it happens when you make changes not on the creating device, including  things like adding bullets or numbered lists.  I found that dragging default font text from one note to another on Windows created not default font on my iDevices.  Copy/pasting the text resulted in default font text on the iDevices.  ?????

Anyway, the EN editors on different devices don't seem to decode default formatting the same way.  Morale of the story, try not to make format changes on the initial device if you want to avoid the mismatched fonts.

• Level 5
On 4/22/2018 at 4:57 PM, pikov said:

This sounds like a classic case of what happens in the Android app when text is copied or cut and pasted elsewhere in a note. It may be that app's best-known and most-despised bug.

• 5 months later...

This has been bugging me for a while, and I finally found a solution! On the macOS version of Evernote, there is an option under the "Format" menu called "Simplify Formatting," which seems to remove the different font sizes / styles you get when pasting into notes. I assume this might remove other custom formatting, so it might not always be an option, but if you just want plain text, this is a life saver.

Archived