evernote v 6.75 msi cannot be found

error messages when attempting open evernote

--unavailable network resource

-evernote 'msi not found

fatal error during install

windows 10 op system

reading the posts, lots of complaints of lack of response, no direct support available. a very difficult support page to navigate for the non-techie customer

help -- I am a fish out of water-- is help on the way?

thanks

morry fealy

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you receive the error "MSI missing", when uninstalling or updating,  check the folder C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate for a copy of the original installation file for your current version of Evernote*.  Re-run that executable to fix the MSI file.  Then retry the update,  or download the new version manually from Evernote.com,  and install.

* If you are missing the installation file,  try reinstalling from a downloaded copy of the older version.  There's a comprehensive listing from a third-party site here - http://filehippo.com/download_evernote/history

thanks for the update info--but

I am a novice at all this-- I entered the file name in windows 10 search, received the response, file not found. -----I am dead in the water!!

I tried the second suggestion, download from filehippo and got linked to several zip files that appeared to have nothing to do with Evernote Msi didn't attempt download

Are my problems unique to v 6.75 as I see an upgrade recommendation on my laptop of a totally different download

suggestions? any help welcome- I see lots of notes commenting on using Evernote support ;can anything be done to encourage a more user friendly environment- thanks for your involvement

morry fealy

• Level 5*

Hi again..  the current 'live' version of Evernote is 6.11.  If you're updating from 6.75,  you've missed a few recent changes - the FileHippo page suggests that was release in September last year.  Your missing MSI file relates to the version of Evernote that you currently have installed,  and one fix for that problem is to refresh / reinstall the old version - hence the link to FileHippo which should give you the link to download the installation file for that version.  I'm not sure where you're finding Zip files from.

You're welcome to try the update recommended by your laptop,  but I assume this is the one that fails when trying to uninstall the current version.

Support are available on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if that doesn't work,  or you're not a subscriber.  

GURU, thanks for the suggestions- my problem just occurred with the misadventure with v 6.75 the past two weeks- any thoughts on how/why evernote became corrupted.  I am a premium user- if we assume I have a corrupted Evernote program, can I erase completely, download and reinstall a v 6.11 and retain existing notes, have a bunch?? I will check the update notice on the laptop, but I don't recall it being 6.11

I tried the filehippo suggestion but I wasn't able to make it work. truly appreciate your help, but why isn't evernote support more directly involved. I am challenged to work through the support page and I find myself in a circular event. Can you give me the 1-2-3 steps to get me with a functional and operating Evernote v  xxx.x   installation

thanks

I just opened the support login--

it asks for device, I don't have android, nor the other to items- this support option doesn't address my problem and I don't have a screen shot to show the activity.  Besides that, if I click on Prtscn, where do I find the image - I really am not a captain of my fate!!!

thanks again

morry

On 4/22/2018 at 6:15 AM, mfealy@easystreet.net said:

any thoughts on how/why evernote became corrupted

The usual thing that happens here is that Windows thinks a file has been changed from what it originally installed. So it tries to repair the installation before continuing (that's just how MSI works). But it's unable to do so. The only way out of this is to use the same installer you did originally and run a full repair. Upgrade should work after that. (Once a Windows Installer (MSI) installation is corrupted, repairing it - even for someone who's written MSIs in a past life - is ... um ... painful.)

thanks for looking into my problem-

getting it solved looks to be a challenge- I believe I downloaded the original program some years back, I do not have hard copy- How do you suggest running a full repair-- can you provide me with the appropriate software??

If I do a reinstall, do I loose all existing files and folders?? What would be a way to retrieve as I cannot open my existing version of Evernote because of the missing msi file

It sounds like I am not alone with this problem. A suggestion from the community was to access hippo(something) and download a link to a v 6.7.5- this led me to 7zip, but that download wanted to install a new web browser, and some other program-- the evernote file would not load. I have been chasing this problem for the better part of two weeks, the update load I received was first released last September, and has subsequently been updated multiple times. my problems started just two weeks ago, with a v. 6.7.5 update that I received out of the blue

can you help me fix this mess -- is direct telephone support available?

thanks,

morry fealy

• Level 5*

Hi again.  Direct telephone support is available - unfortunately to Premium subscribers and Business users only - via https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

The Filehippo link I gave you works for me - I scanned down the list of versions,  clicked the correct line and got this option to download an install file.  Ignore any other options you see along the way...

Clipboard-1.jpg.ded73dae98bebb3f27d85830f8dfde29.jpg

Once you have the executable file downloaded,  all you should need to do is click it to (re)install your current version.

You could also download that version from Evernote directly - http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.7.5.5825.exe

- there's more details about that release in this post.

@dconnet did point out that repairing the original MSI file is not something that an experienced programmer would want to try.  It isn't something you could do over the phone...

• 4 months later...

I have a very similar issue; the installer for version "6.15.3.7881" (i.e. the current version at time of writing) fails because it can't find "Evernote.msi". Having read the above I've established that:

• "C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote" is empty, and is the only thing in the parent directory.
  • Downloading the installer for the version I currently have (6.13.13.7425) gives me an error: "Newer version is already installed"
  • I can't uninstall to start from scratch, using the uninstaller, because it's corrupt and keeps asking for a valid source of "Evernote.msi"

I'd be inclined to manually remove everything and start again, but I don't know what I need to delete? Presumably some settings and registry keys some where? Is that a good path to go down?

• Level 5*
On 9/23/2018 at 7:43 PM, themodge said:

I'd be inclined to manually remove everything and start again, but I don't know what I need to delete? Presumably some settings and registry keys some where? Is that a good path to go down?

Hi.  Have a look at Revo Uninstaller Free https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html if it can remove the existing application it will do so including any settings and registry entries associated with it.

As you're a premium user however you might want to report this to Evernote support and get their assistance.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:09 PM, jefito said:

I think we just got told. :) 

LOL. I've seen some disk cleaners clean that directory. And random-internet-person recommend 'hey, delete these files for more disk space'. <shakes hand at sky>

I tend to save all installers for every program I put on my system (Love my home NAS) Makes recreating a system on disk failure much easier. (I tend to only back up user data)

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, dconnet said:

LOL. I've seen some disk cleaners clean that directory. And random-internet-person recommend 'hey, delete these files for more disk space'. <shakes hand at sky>

Yah. I don't use such software. Yoda says "Disk space I have, time I do not."

6 minutes ago, dconnet said:

I tend to save all installers for every program I put on my system (Love my home NAS) Makes recreating a system on disk failure much easier. (I tend to only back up user data)

Ditto.

Never mind all of the versions of our software that I keep around in case I need to figure out where something got broken. Sometimes a binary search is the quickest way to isolate a problem...

On 9/24/2018 at 10:25 PM, dconnet said:

You need to download 6.15.3.7881 again and re-run that. That will do a Windows Installer repair. At that point, you should be able to upgrade (or uninstall). And never delete any file in \Windows\Installer\

Hi

I tried re-downloading 6.15.3.7881 (the .exe installer, I didn't look for a .msi?) and it failed with the same message as before. I didn't actually manually delete anything from \Windows\Installer however this machine has recently been upgraded to windows 10, this is quite possibly the first evernote update it's had since the upgrade, I don't know if it managed to loose the something from \Windows\Installer during that process.

• Level 5*

@themodge I'm tempted to suggest Revo again,  but I don't want to incur anyone's wrath... ?  

I'd agree that upgrading to Windows 10 might have lost you some history files which is what's causing the current problem - as you're a Premium subscriber I suggest raising a support ticket to see if the team have any better suggestions.  Include the URL for this discussion in your ticket so they get the background.  You'll get an automatic ticket number which you could post back here so the Admin team and Support can tie the two together...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived