BUG apostrophe and note taking

Hi!

I'm not sure this is the right place to report a bug but well, I've tried sending a ticket and it was a never ending loop that got me nowhere so here I am.

I've noticed that as soon as I write a word with an apostrophe (I'm writing in French, there are a lot of apostrophes in French) and press space at the end of my word, it takes me back to after the apostrophe.

For example, if I'm writing "l'existence" and then press space, it'll take me back to " l' " and it's very annoying because if I don't immediately notice it, it'll write the end of my sentence between the apostrophe and the word.

Would there be a way of fixing this issue ? I'm using up-to-date version 7.1.

Thanks in advance.

Lise

• Level 5*

Hi.  You can also send a comment to https://twitter.com/evernotehelps, though Evernote doesn't respond to bug reports unless they want more information.  It's also possible to comment in the release thread for your version,  where developers will be watching for issues - though I've not heard of this one before..

About the only work-around you could try would be to type your text in a word processor and then copy / paste into Evernote as one block.  I don't know of any settings that might be causing that behaviour.  :)

• Level 5*
On 2018-04-18 at 7:55 AM, esilnorak said:

For example, if I'm writing "l'existence" and then press space, it'll take me back to " l' " and it's very annoying because if I don't immediately notice it, it'll write the end of my sentence between the apostrophe and the word.

That would be anoying.

My setting is English but I'm unable to duplicate the bug.  I suggest you try troubleshooting like rebooting, reinstalling, ...

At worse, downgrade to a previous version.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same error. I have Evernote (7.1) on my Macbook Pro (2012, OS 10.13.4), and whenever I type a contraction (which I use very often in my writing) I have the same bug happen, which is very annoying. It doesn't happen when I'm typing on a webpage, like this one. It exclusively happens in evernote. I'll type the word "can't", hit space, and then my next word will begin typing between the apostrophe, and the "t".

Hi @esilnorak,

Out of curiosity,:
Are you using a french keyboard?
Do you have a auto correct and smart quotes enabled in macOS ? Check System Preferences > Keyboard > Text and verify if "Correct Spelling Automatically" and "smart quotes and dashes" are turned on. If it is, turn it off and try reproducing the issue. 

5 hours ago, esilnorak said:

Hi @nicolml

I'm using a Swiss keyboard (QWERTZ).

I've tried changing the settings as you advised and it seems to be working!

Thank you!

That's great to hear, and thanks for conforming. Do you know if the issue stopped occurring when you tuned off auto correct or auto quotes? or both?

3 minutes ago, nicolml said:

That's great to hear, and thanks for conforming. Do you know if the issue stopped occurring when you tuned off auto correct or auto quotes? or both?

it happens when "smart quotes and dashes" is turned on. whether or not "Correct Spelling Automatically" is turned on doesn't seem to affect it.

7 minutes ago, esilnorak said:

it happens when "smart quotes and dashes" is turned on. whether or not "Correct Spelling Automatically" is turned on doesn't seem to affect it.

Awesome. Thanks for letting me know. I'll relay this info to our developers. 

Archived