Evernote PDF bug in windows 7 app. Unclickable inline window

Hi All,

I've got an issue with the newer version of Evernote, I installed the latest version onto windows 7 (64bit).   

The app appears broken when it comes to displaying PDFs.

When a PDF is displayed inline, I cannot click on the PDF window or any of the controls. I.e the inline window receives no focus for mouse input I can't scroll in the subscroll bar or use the zoom/pan or select any text.

HOWEVER:

If I have two PDF'S on a note, then the 2nd PDF display inline window is fully operational.

I also tried updating to the latest BETA 6.12 to see if that resolved it, no luck, I updated acrobat on my machine, no luck, I updated Chrome, no luck.

I can't be the only person on the planet with this issue. PDF's work fine on my machine, chromium PDF viewer works fine in my browser.

Can anyone shed any light on why it's doing this on my machine?

On a side note, why on earth is an app the size of evernote using a chrome plugin to display PDF's? 

I've downgraded to Evernote 6.7 with it's own PDF viewer, it works so much better than the inline chrome plugin, when you resize the note the pdf in 6.7 would resize with it, clicking the PDF gives you adobe acrobat.  Why not give users the choice between the older viewer and the chrome pdf viewer, it also gives you a fall back incase of chrome PDF bugs such at the existing one and stops all the frustration over the PDF issues and bugs.

Many thanks,

Groov

• Level 5*

Hi.  This is a -manly- user-supported forum,  so our response times tend to be variable.  It is known that the new PDF viewer is not universally popular,  and some people are having issues with it.  Stepping back to a previous version of Evernote is the only option (AFAIK) at the present time,  but Evernote are working on v6.12 so hopefully they will include some fixes for these issues in the preceding betas and for that general release.

Hi Gazumped, 

Thanks for the reply, I realise this is a user supported forum however I couldn't find any posts relating to the specific issue I've been having where the inline PDF window just doesn't work at all, there's no response to the mouse clicks so can't be scrolled, zoomed or scrolled making it 100% useless along with making evernote unusable.  

Even without this bug, having come from a software background myself I'm actually amazed the new PDF reader integration got past the testing phase and into general release it fails on so many levels on windows. It seems evernote quality assurance and testing is seriously lacking judging from the threads on this forum.  It's actually putting me off using evernote in any big way even though I really like everything about it.  Issues like this don't instill faith in new or existing users :(

Any idea what the best way of contacting technical support for evernote on this one?

• Level 5*

Evernote get pulled in many different directions - somewhere in the history of all this,  we Windows users were jealous of the Mac viewer,  which did allow users to scroll through a whole PDF without having to open it in a separate browser.  That viewer used some old code that was conflicting (or potentially so) with future upgrades,  so Evernote opted for a more up to date version that used a newer code base and (ta-da) included scrolling pages.  Windows users (or at least the ones that post here...) pretty much universally hated it.  ^_^

To pursue this with Support - try https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if that doesn't work,  or you're not.  

Let us know how you get on!  :)

Archived