Upgrading to new version worthwhile?

After getting burned a while back because I upgraded to a virtually non-functional EN version, I now try to wait a few weeks for things to settle down & see how the new version has been received. After 6.10.x, the feedback was fairly horrible - easy version to skip. I'm now trying to evaluate feedback for 6.11.x & am getting a similar vibe. Although it appears to be 'better' than 6.10.x, what true advantages does it have over older versions?

Since my current version (6.4.2.3788) is perfectly functional for everything I do, the risk/reward for upgrading doesn't appear to have a good return. Am I missing something? In reading various threads, I've learned a new term: rightgrading - one that I would have hoped 1) didn't exist & 2) that EN, the company, should abhor...

Ron

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm permanently on the Beta track,  which can lead to an exciting life sometimes;  happily I'm in a position to be able to handle that if/ when it happens.  If you're less relaxed,  the process should still be fairly straightforward.

1. Download whatever version of Evernote you are currently happy with from Evernote's release posts in the forum,  or from http://filehippo.com/download_evernote/history.  Keep it somewhere very safe.
  2. Always take a backup of your database folder before updating,  and a security backup every few days (ideally every day) after that.
  3. Don't jump on a release post and download the update immediately,  or even when the app itself prompts you to download.  Check the forums for comments on the release post to see what reception its getting.
  4. If and when the posts seem to be mainly favorable,  go ahead and update.
  5. Use the app cautiously for a day or two.  If you can carry on your normal operations,  stick with the backups but relax.  If it all goes wrong,  uninstall the new update and downdate back to your favored version.
  6. Wait for the next update...

Easy!  ;) 

..But "never be first with new software" is on a par with "keep your powder dry"

• Level 5*

Folks seem to be happy with the last version in 6.5.  You might upgrade there and continue watching to see what happens when 7.0 arrives.  Don't know when but it is probably around the corner.

• Level 5*

Unless emoji support is critical to your workflow, I'd hold off. I cannot think of any new features in 6.11 or 6.12 that are worthwhile, and I don't know that many bugs have been fixed, and some new ones are certainly here.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, EdH said:

Unless emoji support is critical to your workflow, I'd hold off. I cannot think of any new features in 6.11 or 6.12 that are worthwhile, and I don't know that many bugs have been fixed, and some new ones are certainly here.

Agreed,  It's been dicey on improvements vs bugs since 6.7 in my view anyway.

• Level 5*

I've regretted installing most of the versions after tables were introduced. If tables were introduced before Paste and Match Style was broken, I'd stick with that version!

Paste and Match Style was fixed ~2 'dot' versions later, but it came with new bugs as has every 'dot' version since.

I'm trying to think of features introduced after tables (tables is very useful feature, IMHO) that more than offset the new bugs, and I'm coming  up empty . . . 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, CalS said:

You might upgrade there and continue watching to see what happens when 7.0 arrives.  Don't know when but it is probably around the corner.

A "big number" version - I don't know about the rest of you guys, but given all the bugs in the recent "dot" versions, I'd be slightly terrified of 7.0. But y'all go first, and give the rest of us reports from the front. ;)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tavor said:

A "big number" version - I don't know about the rest of you guys, but given all the bugs in the recent "dot" versions, I'd be slightly terrified of 7.0. But y'all go first, and give the rest of us reports from the front. ;)

Thinking more in terms of will there be enough functional enrichment to justify the journey.  If not, I may find myself back on 6.7 if some of the current issues that affect me aren't addressed, if nothing else.  

I normally upgrade right away and I always find it exciting until my 6.8 experience. Besides the horrible PDF viewer, I was losing contents of notes. Images were disappearing the next day, content of a note was being overwritten by a content of a different note.

That's when I realized that the integrity of the notes and my confidence in my whole database being intact were too valuable. I could have let the PDF viewer style issue go but when the notes I was updating was changing the next day without my even touching them, that was a major issue. 

Therefore, I stayed with the old version and it works for me. As suggested above, if your current version is working, I would recommend sitting out the next couple of updates. :) That's what I am doing, maybe until V7.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TK0047 said:

if your current version is working, I would recommend sitting out the next couple of updates.

Also, If the version is not working for you, I recommend you consider downgrading to a previous version

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I would recommend sitting out the next couple of updates. :) That's what I am doing, maybe until V7.

I which I could. I’m on Betas right now and feel like I am on a step that is crumbling nand have to jump to the next step as soon as available. I’ve seen good things about the 6.5 series and may drop back to that. ☹️

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

I which I could. I’m on Betas right now and feel like I am on a step that is crumbling nand have to jump to the next step as soon as available. I’ve seen good things about the 6.5 series and may drop back to that. ☹️

I've felt the same way since 6.6, which is when Paste and Match Style broke. It was fixed later, but other items were broken, so I felt I had to keep updating.

As for rolling back to a prior version, I'm trying to catalog the changes and breaks:

Archived