Web Clipper 7.1 Released for Chrome

Chantal Leonard

Hi Folks - 

We wanted to let you know that we've released version 7.1 of the Web Clipper on Chrome. It returns much of the functionality from Clipper 6 users have provided feedback on including highlighting, remarks and creating and searching notebooks. 

• Highlighting: you can highlight content from a clip by selecting text. 
  • Remarks: you can add a note about clipped content using the "Add remark" option in the clip screen 
  • Creating and Searching Notebooks: you can now search or create a new notebook to store content from the Notebooks list under the Organize section of the Clipper screen.  
  • Spaces: if you're an Evernote Business user you can now choose to clip content to a space. 
  • We've included many bug fixes including an issue where the Clipper was redirecting users to the evernote.com site on first launch

You can download the latest Clipper from the Chrome Web Store here

Please let us know if you spot any other issues. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Clipper Team. 

• Level 5*

Hey @Chantal Leonard - I think you just made a lot of people very happy to get this functionality back again.  Thanks for fixing this.  Evernote came in for quite a lot of criticism for replacing the previous stable version with a cut down,  apparently temporary fill-in.  Are you able to give any more background as to why that was necessary?

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Yes, thanks for putting the features back.  FYI, this release reset settings, like 7.0 did I think.

I was wondering about that. Is it going to happen every time? I had a lot of cleaning up to do after I realized it was no longer clipping to my default notebook and was just choosing at random.

Yes, mentioned functions are back (utterly confused why removed in previous version - made no sense at all). 

Now, new issue: why the search notebook function is case sensitive? Majority of people name their notebooks with capitalization judicially or deliberately, but while doing search, it should be a subconscious process - not thinking "do I need to capitalize this word or not" sort of things.

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Yes, thanks for putting the features back.  FYI, this release reset settings, like 7.0 did I think.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hey @Chantal Leonard - I think you just made a lot of people very happy to get this functionality back again.  Thanks for fixing this.  Evernote came in for quite a lot of criticism for replacing the previous stable version with a cut down,  apparently temporary fill-in.  Are you able to give any more background as to why that was necessary?

Really. That's fantastic job - as long as "made a lot of people very happy." This " Clipper Team" really deserves a lot of praise: busy removing widely useful function, busy participating user feedback, and finally busy bringing all back, and made a lot of people very happy. How precious is that!

As much as I love using Evernote, often mutiple times a day, I won't be surprise this app will be gone or obsolete in  a few years. So many fronts of Evernote are so incompetent and nobody is accountable for such moronic actions. 

And of course, nobody is able to read this - except for forum censors. Seriously? Need to be approved just for a forum post? I strongly suggest employees start looking for another job, if not yet - even YOU - forum censors. 

On 4/13/2018 at 9:58 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Hi Folks - 

We wanted to let you know that we've released version 7.1 of the Web Clipper on Chrome. It returns much of the functionality from Clipper 6 users have provided feedback on including highlighting, remarks and creating and searching notebooks. 

• Remarks: you can add a note about clipped content using the "Add remark" option in the clip screen 
  • Creating and Searching Notebooks: you can now search or create a new notebook to store content from the Notebooks list under the Organize section of the Clipper screen.  
  • Spaces: if you're an Evernote Business user you can now choose to clip content to a space. 
  • We've included many bug fixes including an issue where the Clipper was redirecting users to the evernote.com site on first launch

You can download the latest Clipper from the Chrome Web Store here

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Clipper Team. 

Thanks for the update, Chantal.  Understandably, there has been a lot of bad feelings about the previous, crippled release.  Wondering if you can provide more details about the differenced between 7.1 and 6.13.2?  Meaning, what 7.1 includes over 6.13.2...and also what 7.1 still lacks? 

Also, if you have any insights why logging into your account at evenote.com using Chrome Mac loads your desktop so sloooooow, and very often the page doesn't render at all.  This does not happen when accessing an account via evernote.com using Safari, Firefox or Opera.  Only when using Chrome.  Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.  

Hi Evernote Team,

I am facing a new problem with this version of Web Clipper in Chrome on Mac, where the notes are getting tagged as "null". Here is how you can reproduce:

1. I go to options in the webclipper,
  2. Check the tickbox - Always tags with, 
  3. Type the tag- "abcde", and click enter.
  4. I see the small "x" as you can see in the image
  5. Now clip the page. The note synced in the evernote has "null" tag in it.

image.png.a188c0980f2e0b7773755f1e6d8bcfc0.png

Can you please fix this issue :( I am quite dependant on tags - I don't want to manually tag the note later in evernote.

Here is the chrome version I am using:

image.png.1bed785d2c7a36621d7cad062bdbacfc.png

Here is the evernote version:

image.png.13adcb21914ecf33e5032e13291ec8bb.png

Thank you for the update. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I would like to know why the new clipper was introduced in this way. So far, it sounds as if only old features have been restored, not new ones added. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kinshuk4 said:

Can you please fix this issue :( I am quite dependant on tags - I don't want to manually tag the note later in evernote.

Are you trying to create a new tag as you do the clip?  Not sure that EN Clipper has ever been able to do that.  One has to select from the tags that exist.  Could be an enhancement request.

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Etonreve said:

Thank you for the update. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I would like to know why the new clipper was introduced in this way. So far, it sounds as if only old features have been restored, not new ones added. 

The story was apparently that something in Chrome changed, so they needed to scramble and get a rewrite out the door so that you could at least do some web clipping, albeit with some of the old features removed. There was a promise to restore them as soon as possible, which is apparently what's happened (more or less).

25 minutes ago, CalS said:

Are you trying to create a new tag as you do the clip?  Not sure that EN Clipper has ever been able to do that.  One has to select from the tags that exist.  Could be an enhancement request.

Hi CalS, Thanks for the response. It is not working with the existing tags, as well as existing tag.

Also, in the past, I was able to create new tags from EN web clipper. So, that shouldn't be the problem.

13 hours ago, CalS said:

Not true.  You have always been able to apply a default tag, in the way member kinshuk4 says.  See screenshot below...

Evernote.png.08275c1844ebe4fb14cd31a714986177.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, snugla1 said:

Not true.  You have always been able to apply a default tag

I wasn't disputing that.  Just saying I can not create a NEW tag using clipper.

• Level 5*

Firefox has a 7.1 clipper too - and we can create new tags.  I picked a word that I couldn't possibly have used before...

Actually no,  it doesn't.  I opened the clipper (6.13.2) on this page and it copied the title....   Doh. :wacko:

ScreenClip [7].png

17 hours ago, CalS said:

I wasn't disputing that.  Just saying I can not create a NEW tag using clipper.

Gotcha CalS.  He was referencing setting the default tagging option, which he found that the "fixed" 7.1 has a bug doing.  He wasn't referencing creating NEW tags. 

7.0 was generally buggy in several ways.  When the update first applied, I could select existing tags, AND create new ones.  Then that stopped.  I could also do screenshots...then that stopped.

Bottom line for me...I went back to 6.13.2 and have NONE of those problems any more.  I will stay with 6.13.2, and won't update Evernote again until I see convincing reports from this community that they have fixed their programming issues.  I'm still unclear as to why 7.0 was even released since clearly, a Chrome update did not "break" the previous version, as someone insinuated.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, snugla1 said:

He wasn't referencing creating NEW tags. 

Not meaning to be argumentative, it was a bit of both.  I don't remember ever being able to create a new tag via the clipper, doesn't mean it wasn't so, just probably never tried it.  Glad it worked for some at some point.  :)

18 hours ago, kinshuk4 said:

Hi CalS, Thanks for the response. It is not working with the existing tags, as well as existing tag.

Also, in the past, I was able to create new tags from EN web clipper.

IMO, the new clip formatting of Simplified Articles is not conducive to reading. Gone is "simplified." There is far too much white space for a fast, efficient scan of text.  Please revert to the format I have know since 2011. Thanks.

Hi, 

I use the new Web Clipper (7.1.0.318-ce89aa98) and experience rendering issues in conjunction with the Windows and the Mac App. Evernote Web works fine. When I clip a bookmark it looks as following:

Evernote Web

screenshot1523964762@1X.jpg.817dc50604389f7cf30b625f678846a2.jpg

Evernote for Mac

screenshot1523964278@1X.jpg.05bd465a32b56693d6d89b7d62f43f5d.jpg

Evernote for Windows

screenshot1523964296@1X.thumb.jpg.3c3e0d24e55cb13034b612b64b403b22.jpg

Why do images get distorted in the native apps?

On 4/14/2018 at 8:19 PM, jefito said:

The story was apparently that something in Chrome changed, so they needed to scramble and get a rewrite out the door so that you could at least do some web clipping, albeit with some of the old features removed. There was a promise to restore them as soon as possible, which is apparently what's happened (more or less).

That was the story, but it was never officially confirmed. A few users had the impression that this was an unforced error by Evernote. 

Hi all,

I continue to expereince some significant problems with the notebook search in the new version of Web Clipper (running 7.1.318-ce89aa98) for Chrome.  I can see my notebooks on the list, but when I search for them, the clipper can't find it.  I've attached screenshots of the problem with my default notebook (0 - Inbox).

Help!  I've tried clicking "Refresh list" and signing out of Clipper and then signing back in.  Didn't help.

Eric

2018-04-17a.png

2018-04-17 b.jpg

• Level 5*
On 14/04/2018 at 8:22 PM, M31 said:

And of course, nobody is able to read this - except for forum censors

Well - we all can read this now.  The forum is mainly supported by other users,  including me and most of the other posters here.  Every so often some enterprising spammer will join to tell us how great their file undelete app is,  so the moderation period was introduced on new posts to prevent that post getting repeated 10,000 times in one hit and run.  The very occasional spam that does get through the delay gets zapped by us when we see it.  It's not all fun being a guru...

Oh - and the forum censor is a bot owned by the third-party providers of the forum software.  I think its job is safe...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Etonreve said:

A few users had the impression that this was an unforced error by Evernote. 

Imagine my surprise. Surmise either way, I suppose, but I don't find it particularly believable that Evernote would do a complete rebuild for no good reason, so there we are...

• Level 5*

Me now thinks it was a rebuild with intent.  Why else would I now get a little spinning elephant head when clipper is engaged?  Not something one would typically decide to add when responding to an outside influence.  ;)

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, CalS said:

Me now thinks it was a rebuild with intent.

But a rebuild with intent that started with a service downgrade?  Then got replaced a week (or so) later?  - Mind you with Evernote's recent history...  Only time (and maybe Chantal L) will tell....

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

But a rebuild with intent that started with a service downgrade?

It is perfectly clear why the downgrade was required - they wanted to make people happy by bringing back half the functionality they had removed - and hoped people would not notice that the other half was still missing - keyboard shortcuts for example :-)

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, motz said:

It is perfectly clear why the downgrade was required - they wanted to make people happy by bringing back half the functionality they had removed

That's a dark world.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

But a rebuild with intent that started with a service downgrade?  Then got replaced a week (or so) later?  - Mind you with Evernote's recent history...  Only time (and maybe Chantal L) will tell....

Yup. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

But a rebuild with intent that started with a service downgrade?

PDF viewer anyone?  Had to come back to this one sorry.  I'm better now,  ;)

I observe, starting today, that the Evernote extension for Chrome (v7.1.0) has yet again stopped working.  Is this a known problem?

As Evernote for Chrome, of late, frequently stops working for no apparent reason, it would be useful for Evernote staff to maintain a web page at evernote.com that reports the current "Working" or "Broken" status of the Chrome extension.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dean Dei Cas said:

I observe, starting today, that the Evernote extension for Chrome (v7.1.0) has yet again stopped working.

5 hours ago, Maria Sp. said:

Clipper entirely stopped working after the update.

Hi.  Can you define 'stopped working' a little more clearly?  Has the Clipper disappeared,  have the choices been changed,  is it just not clipping pages?  I'll try and herd any other comments to this thread,  but AFAIK you're the first to be reporting major issues.   

Developers -hopefully- will be watching these comments while -presumably- working on further updates for the clipper,  so you may get some feedback here.  This public forum is -mainly- supported by users.  It's read by the developers,  but has no link into other support channels.  The only sure way to get personal feedback is to raise a query with Support who are available on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if that doesn't work,  or you're not a subscriber.  

@Chantal Leonard I am so relieved to have these features back! However, I did notice that the search function (when searching for a notebook with webclipper) seems to be case sensitive now. So, if I want to find folder "ABC" if have to search in all caps. Can we make the search non-case sensitive?

• Level 5*

Bugs in this latest 7.1 Version of Chrome Clipper:

On 4/16/2018 at 11:57 AM, MJB285 said:

IMO, the new clip formatting of Simplified Articles is not conducive to reading. Gone is "simplified." There is far too much white space for a fast, efficient scan of text. 

On 4/14/2018 at 2:07 PM, M31 said:

Now, new issue: why the search notebook function is case sensitive?

On 4/14/2018 at 3:07 PM, snugla1 said:

Also, if you have any insights why logging into your account at evenote.com using Chrome Mac loads your desktop so sloooooow, and very often the page doesn't render at all. 

On 4/14/2018 at 5:35 PM, kinshuk4 said:

I am facing a new problem with this version of Web Clipper in Chrome on Mac, where the notes are getting tagged as "null".

On 4/14/2018 at 7:03 PM, CalS said:

Are you trying to create a new tag as you do the clip?  Not sure that EN Clipper has ever been able to do that. 

On 4/15/2018 at 8:26 AM, snugla1 said:

You have always been able to apply a default tag,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All of the above are bugs or missing features of the latest Ver 7.1.

On 4/15/2018 at 1:03 PM, snugla1 said:

Bottom line for me...I went back to 6.13.2 and have NONE of those problems any more.  I will stay with 6.13.2, and won't update Evernote again until I see convincing reports from this community that they have fixed their programming issues.  I'm still unclear as to why 7.0 was even released since clearly, a Chrome update did not "break" the previous version, as someone insinuated.

I'm with @snugla1, I'm still on 6.13.2 (downgraded same day I got upgraded, without my permission, to 7.0), and, like every other Evernote product, I'll stay on 6.13.2 until no adverse reports are made with the new, and not-so-improved, EN Chrome Clipper.

If many of us are still running 6.13.2 on the latest version of Chrome, what was the urgency to push out a half-baked update?

13 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I'm still on 6.13.2 (downgraded same day I got upgraded, without my permission, to 7.0)

Can you post a link to 6.13.2? I have hunted around but haven't been able to find a download link that actually works. Thanks!

When I say Clipper stopped working, I mean it does nothing. I click on it (the extension) and it is unresponsive. I uninstalled and reinstalled it but again nothing. It works perfect in Firefox but it's still the 6.32 version there, whereas Chrome updated to 7.1 automatically and now I can't clip anything! I chatted with EN Support and they said the technical team will look into it and get back to me. I'll post updates here.

Clipper 7.1 works on my MacBook Pro but not on my wife's. We're both running Chrome 65.0.3325.181 on MacOS 10.12.6. Actually, we just upgraded to Chrome 66.0.3359.117 and nothing has changed.

On her clipper there are errors like this in the log:

2018\4\18 09:34:07 ERR: Channel: Message 'getOptionsStore' failed with error: 
Error: Failed to read large IndexedDB value  
DataError: Failed to read large IndexedDB value
    at G.rejectionMapper (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/background.js:1:561584)
    at X (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/background.js:1:510959)
    at IDBRequest.<anonymous> (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/background.js:1:552419)
    at IDBRequest.<anonymous> (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/background.js:1:512726) 
2018\4\18 09:37:41 ERR: Error in recreateAccounts 
Error: Failed to read large IndexedDB value  
DataError: Failed to read large IndexedDB value
    at G.rejectionMapper (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/background.js:1:561584)
    at X (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/background.js:1:510959)
    at IDBRequest.<anonymous> (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/background.js:1:552419)
    at IDBRequest.<anonymous> (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/background.js:1:512726) 

Edit: Re-installing the clipper seems to have fixed the problem.

I am having big problems with this new Web Clipper. I use Windows 10 and Chrome 65.0.3325.181

I use Any.do task manager. It doesn't connect to Evernote but it is an extension and those tasks also appear on their web.any.do website. I noticed on my home computer that it started sending me from web.any.do to a different website. I asked Any.do why and they said, "Please note that if you're being automatically redirected this means that you have the Evernote Web Clipper installed on your Chrome browser. We've noticed that Evernote's last update made it incompatible with the Web app (and another page also). We're recommending users to contact them in order to request a fix."

A second problem is that it is web clipping some sites I use with really huge text and non-white backgrounds. These are mostly subscription websites that I have clipped with Evernote for a long time. But now the titles are huge and the background isn't always white. And if I try to Simply Formatting in 6.11, it runs all the text together. In 6.7.4, it erases the whole note. First screen (Registration for Medical App Makers) is how it used to be, Second screen (Abbot) is now and I don't like this huge text and the fact that I can't fix it.

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

On 4/17/2018 at 11:36 PM, brsnyder said:

Can you post a link to 6.13.2? I have hunted around but haven't been able to find a download link that actually works. Thanks!

Here's the link to download 6.13.2 --->> https://discussion.evernote.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=24236

Here's the link to my video showing how to install it --->> https://www.useloom.com/share/130d8624b40c4768922c19bc0fbd526f

It takes like 2 minutes replace 7.0 (or7.1).  

Suggest you don't agree to Evernote updates until the community confirms the update is stable.  I learned my lesson...

2 hours ago, snugla1 said:

Suggest you don't agree to Evernote updates until the community confirms the update is stable.  I learned my lesson...

Actually, I don't remember agreeing.  It just happened.  Whatever...

On 4/17/2018 at 11:58 AM, gazumped said:

Well - we all can read this now.  The forum is mainly supported by other users,  including me and most of the other posters here.  Every so often some enterprising spammer will join to tell us how great their file undelete app is,  so the moderation period was introduced on new posts to prevent that post getting repeated 10,000 times in one hit and run.  The very occasional spam that does get through the delay gets zapped by us when we see it.  It's not all fun being a guru...

Oh - and the forum censor is a bot owned by the third-party providers of the forum software.  I think its job is safe...

Glad it got "published." I agree the bot's job is safe - until Evernote as an entity goes under. 

My very first attempted post here was not "approved" overnight,  probably more than 10 hours after submitting - so I deleted it and wrote another post and the post complaining about censorship. 

As far as I can remember, I got things posted right away on Google's platform/forum, and numerous other websites. Heck, I could even post something faster on a Chinese website under the censorship of the Great Firewall of China.

I guess all of those websites have a sort of bots running behind. 

Kudos to you gurus. The way you described sounds very enticing and far superior to others and such measurements supposedly work to help Evernote to be a better product. 

Unfortunately, the user experience does NOT agree. For example, this very Web Clipper fiasco.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, AndreasM said:

This is not true, and, like on many occasions before, you are posting wrong info. Old version of the clipper 6.13.0 worked with the newest version of Chrome, and didn't need to be changed because of the Chrome versions. I know this, because I have been using it in this settings. Your post is just confusing more people, why are you doing this, defending the Evernote when they are messing things up. Are you working for Evernote?

I take it from this post by an Evernote employee: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112796-encryption-option-disappeared/?tab=comments#comment-500676. I'll grant that it's somewhat ambiguous there, so if it doesn't apply to the web clipper, I'll happily retract. On the other hand, the bottom line at this point is not why they made the change*, but that they did, and are aware of the pain caused to customers, and are indeed now addressing the fallout from the rewrite. As to whether I'm working for Evernote, the answer's "no". I'm a longtime user of Evernote, and I like what they do a lot, and think that it would be a fun application to work on, but alas, I am just a poor abused user, just like you are...

*I believe that they did it for some compelling reason, if not the one cited, and as a developer myself, it would be of interest to know more of the details, but I'm not losing any sleep over it

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

I take it from this post by an Evernote employee:

There were additional comments on Twitter specifically linking the Clipper rewrite to the Chrome update,  but I agree - whether that is the correct reason or not,  what's done is done.  We need them to restore the missing features as soon as possible and get normal updates back on track.  'Why this happened' is just something Evernote need to resolve internally so they don't do it again...

On 4/19/2018 at 10:02 AM, snugla1 said:

Here's the link to download 6.13.2 --->> https://discussion.evernote.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=24236

Here's the link to my video showing how to install it --->> https://www.useloom.com/share/130d8624b40c4768922c19bc0fbd526f

Thank you so much!  One comment - on the Extensions page, you have to enable the Developer Mode switch in upper right to see the Load Unpacked option.

I don't think I ever asked to update the extension. It just stopped working and then I found out an update had been released. I stopped being an early adopter long ago. :-)

18 hours ago, AndreasM said:

This is not true, and, like on many occasions before, you are posting wrong info. Old version of the clipper 6.13.0 worked with the newest version of Chrome, and didn't need to be changed because of the Chrome versions. I know this, because I have been using it in this settings. Your post is just confusing more people, why are you doing this, defending the Evernote when they are messing things up. Are you working for Evernote?

I agree with AndreasM here. Instead of some users defending Evernote, for whatever reason, we as a consumer are suffering. It will be good if Evernote hears the consumer complaints, and fixes bugs in the clipper. Whatever is the reason - if people start giving absurd reasons like the rewrite was due to "new version of chrome" and blah, what help it will do to the users? As a user, we don't care why it happened, but it happened. Hope it is resolved soon.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:02 PM, snugla1 said:

Thank you very much for posting this. I am watching your video and doing it now.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:44 AM, notetakeingguy said:

I am having big problems with this new Web Clipper. I use Windows 10 and Chrome 65.0.3325.181

I use Any.do task manager. It doesn't connect to Evernote but it is an extension and those tasks also appear on their web.any.do website. I noticed on my home computer that it started sending me from web.any.do to a different website. I asked Any.do why and they said, "Please note that if you're being automatically redirected this means that you have the Evernote Web Clipper installed on your Chrome browser. We've noticed that Evernote's last update made it incompatible with the Web app (and another page also). We're recommending users to contact them in order to request a fix."

A second problem is that it is web clipping some sites I use with really huge text and non-white backgrounds. These are mostly subscription websites that I have clipped with Evernote for a long time. But now the titles are huge and the background isn't always white. And if I try to Simply Formatting in 6.11, it runs all the text together. In 6.7.4, it erases the whole note. First screen (Registration for Medical App Makers) is how it used to be, Second screen (Abbot) is now and I don't like this huge text and the fact that I can't fix it.

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Thanks for posting this. I get this as well. 83-point font size - very large and very specific. Also very annoying when trying to read posts. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I thought I'd altered a setting inadvertently and have been looking in vain for a way to change it back.  

• Level 5*
On 4/20/2018 at 12:46 PM, gazumped said:

'Why this happened' is just something Evernote need to resolve internally so they don't do it again...

Wrong again, @gazumped!!!  Evernote management and developers need to be held accountable for this huge mistake, whatever the cause.  They need to come clean, be totally honest, fix all of the many issues they have created.  Actually, since Ver 6.13.2 still works just fine, I don't know why they don't just revert to that until they have totally fixed, extensively tested, and verified all bugs are fixed.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Evernote management and developers need to be held accountable for this huge mistake, whatever the cause.  They need to come clean, be totally honest, fix all of the many issues they have created.

Your posts seem to be of the beating a dead horse (and @gazumped) style.

I am a survivor of many Evernote mistakes, issues, bugs and bad decisions.

My experience is that we don't see publicly much evidence of "held accountable" or "come clean".  
Things get resolved and we go on to to the next mistake, issue, bug and bad decision

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, kinshuk4 said:

Instead of some users defending Evernote, for whatever reason, we as a consumer are suffering.

Uh, we all had to suffer through the (thankfully) short time without the full clipper. In the grand scale of suffering in this world, this event was not really all that bad, though. Let's keep thing in perspective here.

If I'm defending anything, it's 1) the right of Evernote to make decisions about the software that they make, and 2) the right of users to use software that works for them.

If the rewrite was indeed necessitated by a conflict with a Chrome update, then what they did to get a partially functioning clipper out seems understandable, and yes, defensible. Could they have communicated the situation better to us? You bet.

3 hours ago, kinshuk4 said:

It will be good if Evernote hears the consumer complaints, and fixes bugs in the clipper.

Well, your wish is granted, as they already have one major update out that restored most of the original functionality. Hopefully they can now focus on the bugs that have shaken out since.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I am a survivor of many Evernote mistakes, issues, bugs and bad decisions.

My experience is that we don't see publicly much evidence of "held accountable" or "come clean".  

Perhaps that is the problem -- no one is holding Evernote accountable.

If you wish to always give Evernote a pass, no matter what they do, then that is on you.

Many others of us choose to do differently.  Maybe you have not noticed -- but in recent days/months, there has been a new sense of holding those in power accountable for their actions (or lack of actions).

• Level 5*
On 4/19/2018 at 8:56 PM, AndreasM said:

Well said, @AndreasM.  I don't understand why 2 or 3 Evernote apologists continue to spread false rumors. 

To All Others:
If you are not sure about your facts, if you can't cite a linkable source, then please don't post.  Doing so only adds to the confusion.

Evernote has long since lost the integrity to give the the benefit of doubt -- quite the opposite, actually.

There is a display issue - the Clipper window appears so low on the page that half of the "Remark" field is cut off and it is also difficult to see scroll for the various notebooks. Running Chromebook, latest version.

Update: I went to take a screenshot and now it displayed OK. So will keep you advised.

Thank you for returning the Remarks section, very helpful.

Edit: I discovered that indeed the bottom section is cut off in that I can't see my notebooks which are low on the list (name of notebook begins with "Y"). However, I will try the option of reducing my screen size (CTRL -) and see if that works. Meantime I setup a workaround ... created a notebook titled "1-WEB CLIPPINGS" and set that as the default notebook where all clippings go. Then I can go there and cut the article to paste to the correct notebook.

I originally mentioned my issue at 

but have been advised to mention it here, too. It seems that I can no longer use a keyboard shortcut to launch the web clipper. When is this feature going to be reinstated, please?

On 4/14/2018 at 3:07 PM, M31 said:

Yes, mentioned functions are back (utterly confused why removed in previous version - made no sense at all). 

Now, new issue: why the search notebook function is case sensitive? Majority of people name their notebooks with capitalization judicially or deliberately, but while doing search, it should be a subconscious process - not thinking "do I need to capitalize this word or not" sort of things.

I concur - I do not like it being case sensitive in the web clipper . 

22 hours ago, timgb said:

Thanks for posting this. I get this as well. 83-point font size - very large and very specific. Also very annoying when trying to read posts. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I thought I'd altered a setting inadvertently and have been looking in vain for a way to change it back.  

As I 've posted elsewhere, I have this problem, too, however it's auto-selecting a different font a at 62 point size.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:19 PM, jefito said:

Thank you for this explanation. Makes sense. I've been using Chrome, and I've had some of the problems discussed here. 

• Level 5*
On 4/14/2018 at 9:33 AM, CalS said:

Yes, and no telling how many notes I've "lost" that went into that unknowable "smart filing" black hole since April 13?

Is there any way to turn off the updating of this extension? I have added 169 notes since then and it will be very difficult to go through all of those to figure out which came from the clipper to ensure proper filing vs which ones I created in other ways.

I don't get this smart filing/smart tagging at all. I clipped an email and it tagged it "Twitter". The email didn't even have the word Twitter in it. And it stuck it in my "Work Related" notebook. IT WAS AN EMAIL FROM MY WIFE ABOUT VACATION I NEEDED TO FOLLOW UP ON.

I shouldn't have to constantly turn this stuff off over and over and over to not lose things. I want EVERYTHING I EVER DO to go into my @Inbox notebook. Always. No Exceptions. Ever. Why do I have to keep fighting Evernote that thinks it knows better?

2018-04-24_13-59-53.png

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, EdH said:

Yes, and no telling how many notes I've "lost" that went into that unknowable "smart filing" black hole since April 13?

Is there any way to turn off the updating of this extension? I have added 169 notes since then and it will be very difficult to go through all of those to figure out which came from the clipper to ensure proper filing vs which ones I created in other ways.

Try source:web* as a search, reverse created sequence.  Might winnow it down a bit.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, CalS said:

Try source:web* as a search, reverse created sequence.  Might winnow it down a bit.

Thanks. it does.

This should not be necessary.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, EdH said:

I shouldn't have to constantly turn this stuff off over and over and over to not lose things. I want EVERYTHING I EVER DO to go into my @Inbox notebook. Always. No Exceptions. Ever. Why do I have to keep fighting Evernote that thinks it knows better?

Doesn't the following from the Web Clipper options work? Does it get clobbered on update?

image.png.0e8e55961c59bc5c3f4ffd4f33595494.png

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, EdH said:

Thanks. it does.

This should not be necessary.

You are welcome.  It should not.

7 minutes ago, jefito said:

Doesn't the following from the Web Clipper options work? Does it get clobbered on update?

They do and it does.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, CalS said:

They do and it does.

Well, the update shouldn't clobber that.

I do see the value of having separate settings for the Windows client and the web clipper default notebooks. I use separate ones myself. Web clippings are generally low-priority items for me.  I'll read them when I get to them.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

Well, the update shouldn't clobber that.

I do see the value of having separate settings for the Windows client and the web clipper default notebooks. I use separate ones myself. Web clippings are generally low-priority items for me.  I'll read them when I get to them.

I'd be ok if it clobbered the update (not really, but sorta) if on first launch of the newly updated clipper it required you to review the settings. But silently deleting them is unacceptable.

Why does the Web Clipper insist on showing me so-called 'Related Notes' after each clipping. It does so regardless of which settings I select in Options.

Why? This annoying feature is useless to me. I have 50.000+ notes. Evernote does not know which ones are 'related' to what I am clipping -- nor do I want to know unless and until I search for them myself. 

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, windpower said:

Why does the Web Clipper insist on showing me so-called 'Related Notes' after each clipping. It does so regardless of which settings I select in Options.

Why? This annoying feature is useless to me. I have 50.000+ notes. Evernote does not know which ones are 'related' to what I am clipping -- nor do I want to know unless and until I search for them myself. 

If you have the below unchecked you should not get related notes, under Options in the Clipper.  Bug report if you do.

ScreenClip.png.58a8733bf38d9833b0a7d4368f2a0d41.png

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, jefito said:

There seems to be a couple of related settings in the 7.1 web clipper:

image.png.13186b08a5eb8beb072ae2a0ae0c93b0.png

With these settings, I still get related notes displayed, however. Seems to be a bug.

Try the settings below.  You should get a flash of related notes before the clipper dialog closes.  Probably still a bug, no need for the flash either.

ScreenClip.png.db4bdede56db9a7d0ecc6b887a123b99.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, CalS said:

Try the settings below.  You should get a flash of related notes before the clipper dialog closes.  Probably still a bug, no need for the flash either.

Thanks. I was actually just curious to see whether it was working or not -- the related notes don't bother me, and I don't think I'd ever turned them off before.

I have discovered a Web Clipper bug and am attaching a screenshot. The options page lacks the ability to scroll to all of the options, the bottom is cut off and you can't scroll further down. Please see screenshot. Running Chromebook, latest version.

Other than this the clipper is now back to normal, thank you.

EDIT: Discovered workaround, just reduce the size of the font (CTRL AND -); just reduce it to 90% and the entire options screen does show.

EVERNOTE.png

Just discovered another bug ... formerly you could download (save) a note in Evernote to your computer - just by using CTRL-S. Now that does not work anymore; it does appear to save, shows up on your computer but when you open it the note is blank. I tested my CTRL-S function with other web pages and it works perfectly but no longer in Evernote.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DreamWeaver2500 said:

I have discovered a Web Clipper bug and am attaching a screenshot. The options page lacks the ability to scroll to all of the options, the bottom is cut off and you can't scroll further down. Please see screenshot. Running Chromebook, latest version.

Working fine for me, Chrome 65.0.3325.181, Win 10

image.png.a445a80f3567e30c7ac4f66feafda983.png

This was mentioned in another thread, but it seems the clipper has lost the ability to increase/decrease the Article selection via the keyboard (up and down arrow keys) as well as change DOM object (left and right arrow keys). I'm hoping that capability returns soon.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:13 PM, DreamWeaver2500 said:

Edit: I discovered that indeed the bottom section is cut off in that I can't see my notebooks which are low on the list (name of notebook begins with "Y"). However, I will try the option of reducing my screen size (CTRL -) and see if that works. Meantime I setup a workaround ... created a notebook titled "1-WEB CLIPPINGS" and set that as the default notebook where all clippings go. Then I can go there and cut the article to paste to the correct notebook.

I had this issue too, but have now gone back to an old version,

My Evernote Premium up for renewal and really thinking about it. I like having 3 devices, and like having more than 60 MB, but maybe I need to think about it, but am frustrated about this and other issues that still have not been resolved (e.g. E-mailing a note doesn't include the URL anymore, Presentation Mode in Windows is worthless).

I work in the field of regulatory affairs for software used in medical devices and pharmaceuticals. When my software developers complain about regulation, and the fact they actually have commit in writing what they are going to do and test that it works, I give Evernote as an example of a software you'd never want connected for your medical needs.

Clipper:  Why did you change the way a notebook is selected for the topic being clipped? Totally useless as is - must scroll through my long list of many notebooks and groups of notebooks. Why did you remove the autocomplete? What were you thinking?

Super annoying that you also removed the "Remark" field.

Workaround: 

1. When clipping, don't waste your time searching the dropdown list.
  2. Just save the item to whatever Notebook EN stupidly suggests.
  3. Go to EN (for me, running on my Mac), sort notes by date, most recent first. 
  4. Refresh / sync if needed to see the note you recently clipped.
  5. Change the notebook there.

2018-04-27_09-42-29.png.d2366fa9b28d663d356000372f9281b9.png

On 4/25/2018 at 8:54 PM, CalS said:

ScreenClip.png.db4bdede56db9a7d0ecc6b887a123b99.png

This is the settings I use. And yes, it is that flash of related notes I referred to. It is unnecessary and annoying.  

14 hours ago, JackGriffin said:

Clipper:  Why did you change the way a notebook is selected for the topic being clipped? Totally useless as is - must scroll through my long list of many notebooks and groups of notebooks. Why did you remove the autocomplete? What were you thinking?

Workaround: 

1. When clipping, don't waste your time searching the dropdown list.
  2. Just save the item to whatever Notebook EN stupidly suggests.
  3. Go to EN (for me, running on my Mac), sort notes by date, most recent first. 
  4. Refresh / sync if needed to see the note you recently clipped.
  5. Change the notebook there.

2018-04-27_09-42-29.png.d2366fa9b28d663d356000372f9281b9.png

My workaround - I created a notebook 1 Web Clippings and set it as the default to clip to. It is at the top of the list of my notebooks. Now I can quickly access my note and transfer it to the proper notebook.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, JackGriffin said:

Autocomplete was added back in the updated clipper (that's what the topic is announcing), but at this time it's case sensitive, as has been noted earlier in this topic.

15 hours ago, JackGriffin said:

...as is the Remark field.

image.png.c082654abf8fd06ac41a7a71abbf6d64.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, AndreasM said:

1. Why autocomplete is case sensitive now???

It's likely an oversight when they pushed out the updated web clipper. I expect that it will be fixed. What did you think was the reason?

2. Why a new tag (created) is not accepted by the clipper????

Ditto.

your are defending the company all the time, it seems you are in good relation with them (if you are not working for them)

I do not work for them. I like the Evernote product a lot, have used it for nearly 10 years. As a software developer myself, I defend their right to make software as they see fit (or are able), and determine their product direction. As a software user, I defend people's right to use software that works for them, and to request changes in software they use. Seems simple to me.

So why you are not asking them all the questions, why all the good features have been removed?

I don't ask those questions because I don't need to know the answers. I note problems when I see them, and that's enough for me, because I believe that they'll be read, and something will hopefully happen to address them. Sometimes I'm curious about what happens behind the scenes (and sometimes I can guess, based on my own development experience), but it's not that big a deal for me, and has no bearing on how I use Evernote. 

Are you going to follow with them and verify that the features will be restored?

Generally I try to keep up, but I don't care about all of the features; mainly just the ones I use. If they claim that a feature's fixed, and it's feasible for me to test it out, I'll give it a whirl and post results if it seems useful. Example: I do a fair amount of web clipping, but I only have a small number of notebooks, and I generally just want to funnel clips to one single notebook for later classification, so case-insensitive notebook matching isn't a big deal for me. But I did check it out when the new release came out, and verified that notebook matching was back, but had the case-sensitivity flaw. I noted it here and moved on. Some people seem to have a burning desire to know whywhywhy? It's just not all that important to me.

Or it will fade away, because people are tired of always bringing back all the bugs, removed features and so on.

People can make their own decisions. I can't predict what people will do. Or Evernote. I like it and it's working for me now. If it stops, I'll find something else.

And, the list is growing with every new release.

That's often the nature of software. Your bug database grows over time. Regressions can happen. You do the best you can. That's the way it is in my development world, too.

• Level 5*

The clipper for Chrome is not working with the new Gmail. The panel seems to work, but the box that comes up with the email info is blank except for "undefined" at the top.

The note that makes it to Evernote is just the Undefined text, not the email clipped.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, EdH said:

The clipper for Chrome is not working with the new Gmail. The panel seems to work, but the box that comes up with the email info is blank except for "undefined" at the top.

The note that makes it to Evernote is just the Undefined text, not the email clipped.

Yup.  Found that yesterday (in Firefox too) - I can still forward emails to Evernote,  but clipping is dead - though it gives every sign of succeeding...  :(

On 4/13/2018 at 8:58 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

'm using Evernote extension on Mac in Chrome. 
In Safari, when I am on a page and click the little elephant to capture a page to EN, I can use the left/right arrows to move the selection on the page around, and use the up/down arrows to grow and shrink the selection. In Chrome, the arrow keys do nothing. I can click the +/- button to grow and shrink the selection, but the arrow keys just operate the page content as usual and are not intercepted by the extension.

This update completely destroyed the notebook search functionality. I would say that it's the most disappointing change to the entire thing. I want to clip something and I want to quickly start typing the first letters of the notebook, and it has zero accuracy. Even if I type the exact name of the Notebook it claims that it doesn't exist. So then I manually scroll through all of my stacks and notebooks and there it is. 

The previous version was perfect in terms of usability on this feature and it got completely destroyed for a power user like me.

As you can see from the attachment I type the word, "Recipe" and it shows nothing. Then in the second attachment I scroll down to show that it recognizes that the Recipe's notebook does in fact exist. 

recipe 1.PNG

Recipe 2.PNG

Hello Everyone,

I don't understand some things, for example: why published the 7 without missing functions? Why was it so important? But, OK. It happened. I would like to notice that I have a missing function yet (and it is important for me): the label autocomplete, not just from beginning of the tag! I have been using a lot of tags, and it is very annoying that I can't find a (multiple words) tag with "inner texts". Forexample, I have tags:

• something 2010
  • something 2014
  • something 2018

Earlier I typed just "so 2018" or "thin 2018" and select first, now I have to type the whole first word. Please, please, please refactor the autocomplete behavior. :-/

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, fchris82 said:

Please, please, please refactor the autocomplete behavior. :-/

Um, they should fix it. Refactoring is something else...

Archived