Multiple Open Notes (Tabs)

AdamE

Idea

Hello!

First off, I love Evernote. Thank you for everything you do. 

One (huge) pain point I have while using Evernote is working around only being able to have one note open at a time. On web, it's easy enough to work around by opening Evernote in multiple browser tabs, but on a desktop client, there's not even a workaround. 

I don't know anyone, including myself, who sits on one note at a time while doing serious work. Currently, with no back button and no option to view more than one note at a time, I find myself often avoiding even going back into Evernote to look for something, or navigate within it. 

This would be a game changer! 

Thanks,

Adam

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I'm using a Mac and have back<>forward arrows.
- customize the toolbar if they're missing5ad114f7af1ce_ScreenShot2018-04-13at13_33_22.png.ee00f343cef0c6b1a7ffc3b49df33796.png

I can open multiple notes, each in their own window, or under tabs in a single window

5ad1172a761e4_ScreenShot2018-04-13at13_45_59.png.2cf20c83670be6a624553558fccc39bb.png

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, AdamE said:

Hello!

First off, I love Evernote. Thank you for everything you do. 

One (huge) pain point I have while using Evernote is working around only being able to have one note open at a time. On web, it's easy enough to work around by opening Evernote in multiple browser tabs, but on a desktop client, there's not even a workaround. 

I don't know anyone, including myself, who sits on one note at a time while doing serious work. Currently, with no back button and no option to view more than one note at a time, I find myself often avoiding even going back into Evernote to look for something, or navigate within it. 

This would be a game changer! 

Thanks,

Adam

In Windows you can double click on a note to open it in its own window. 

Right click on the EN toolbar and you can customize the toolbar and add the forward and backward icons.

ScreenClip.png.81d444e414ac60a3320e44028848f8ad.png

• Level 5*

As far as I know, EN Win does not have note tabs as EN Mac appears to have (pretty cool!).

I use the 2 features described below:

16 hours ago, CalS said:

In Windows you can double click on a note to open it in its own window. 

Right click on the EN toolbar and you can customize the toolbar and add the forward and backward icons.

ScreenClip.png.81d444e414ac60a3320e44028848f8ad.png

In addition, if you have a mouse with forward and back buttons, you can configure those to activate the forward and back icons in EN. If you have note links connecting related notes, this makes it very quick and easy to navigate through the notes using the mouse's forward/back buttons.

Over the past 10+ years productivity applications have focused on "unified" user interfaces which sometimes means the use of tabs. If you're as old as I am there used to be a time where every productivity application experience revolved around floating windows. For example a lot of music applications switched to a unified user interface around 2010.

Anyway, Evernote should consider tabs. I use a Windows application that allows for the ability to make tabs.

I think it's worth considering.

evernote-tab1.png

evernote-tab2.png

• Level 5*

I merged your post with other requests for this feature

To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

On 4/14/2018 at 6:37 AM, tavor said:

As far as I know, EN Win does not have note tabs as EN Mac appears to have (pretty cool!).

I use the 2 features described below:

In addition, if you have a mouse with forward and back buttons, you can configure those to activate the forward and back icons in EN. If you have note links connecting related notes, this makes it very quick and easy to navigate through the notes using the mouse's forward/back buttons.

Yeah I don't think Windows has it. I completely forgot Mac has it.