HUGE RESOURCE LEAK in EverNote for Windows!

Hi.

It seems there is a HUGE RESOURCE LEAK in EverNote for Windows!
My evernote database file has size = 22Gb! THAT IS OVERKILL!

All my notes are in text format and only 2-3 notes are small PDF files. In total all text takes less than 0.5Gb, so how is it possible that EverNote database allocated 22 Gb?!

I do not need any pictures, sound, whatever multimedia - in all my notes I need only text. So, if by mistake some multimedia content happened in my notes - I need to see that and remove. Unfortunately, EverNote has very poor content diagnostic possibilities, so I cannot control that. :(

I tried to run 'Optimize database', 'Fix Lost Resources' and all other service menu functions available at Ctrl+Help but that did not help. :(

Such huge database file allocates too much system resources, sometimes system bacame deadly slow and Resources Monitor shows that all I/O is used by disk C: operations.

Unfortunately, size diagnostic in EverNote is VERY POOR(!) - I cannot see what notebooks and notes allocated too much space?

I tried to kill history for some notes (export to ENEX, delete note, empty trash, synchronize, import ENEX back). Did that for 40 most big text notes which were written during long time. But that also did not help to decrease size of EverNote database. It is still allocates 22Gb.

Could you please help?
First of all I need to understand - which notebooks and which notes allocated too much space?
If possible please do not suggest to log-off, delete database and login again - I would like to avoid huge traffic operations because of ISP limits (traffic cost money and if I will run out of limit speed will be limited).

Regards,
Dmitry.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I currently have something over 42,000 notes in Evernote,  some of which are pictures,  and others large PDF files,  and your database appears to be bigger in file size than mine.  Can you confirm how many notes you have and whether any of them are in Local Notebooks or hidden in Trash?  And are you on Windows 7 or 10?

AFAIK the correct way to resolve this would be to uninstall Evernote from your system,  renaming the database folder for a backup;  then re-download the entire database from the server.  (You would have to export,  then re-import any notes in local notebooks which are not kept on the server.)

It should be possible to export your entire account to ENEX files,  then uninstall / reinstall and rebuild the database locally,  but that would effectively create conflicts with your existing notes - the UIDs and creation dates of notes would be changed,  and you might wind up duplicating notes,  or generating a huge upload bandwidth as the account tries to sync itself.  The export file itself would,  however tell you approximately what the full file size should be.

I would suggest you raise this with Support (which we're not) on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.  They may be able to tell you what size your database should occupy.

If you select All Notes and the note list view and scroll across,  there is a note size column.  (If you don't see it right-click in the column title row and add that column from the drop-down.)  Click the header to sort the list in size order - click again to sort the other way.  That should show you any very large notes which might be causing the problem.  Select the Trash notebook to see those notes in order.

Edit: While in the Note List you may be able to Ctrl+A to select all and paste into a spreadsheet to capture the data you see - with a bit of manipulation it might be possible to total the note sizes to see whether your visible notes do take up the space allocated.  Haven't tried this myself but it may be worth exploring...  You could deselect other columns to limit the size of the copied clip.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, dmitry_bond said:

All my notes are in text format and only 2-3 notes are small PDF files. In total all text takes less than 0.5Gb, so how is it possible that EverNote database allocated 22 Gb?!

Are you talking about the size of the .exb database file, or the size of the Evernote folder that holds it?

How many notes do you have? If you export all of your notes to Evernote format (.enex), in a single file, how large is that file?

I tried to kill history for some notes (export to ENEX, delete note, empty trash, synchronize, import ENEX back).

Note history is stored on the Evernote servers, not on the local client, so far as I know. Unlikely that this would make any difference.

I do not need any pictures, sound, whatever multimedia - in all my notes I need only text. So, if by mistake some multimedia content happened in my notes - I need to see that and remove. Unfortunately, EverNote has very poor content diagnostic possibilities, so I cannot control that. :(

To find notes that contain attachments, use the search: resource:*

• Level 5*

I cannot see what notebooks and notes allocated too much space?

I use top list view with a size column.  I know exactly which notes use the most space.5acf650be6cd7_ScreenShot2018-04-12at06_52_56.png.d22eedd344fcc654e676a436cb769cbe.png

Thank you for hints and ideas.

Answering questions:

1) OS=Windows 10 Pro X64.

2) Yes, I mean size of one *.EXB file.

3) Trash notebook is empty.

4) I have 620 notes total in 20 notebooks. If select all notes and export all to one *.ENEX file then file takes 160 Mb. So, it is even less than 0.5Gb which I mentioned in original question (first time I did count total size by-eye, very roughly).
Max size of one note is 24Mb (I have only 1 such), then 2 notes of ~7Mb, then 10 notes of ~3Mb and all the rest of notes are smaller than 1Mb...

But if EXB file is 22Gb then I assume there might be some "hidden records". So, that if why I thought summary size of notebook might be useful.

5) I did not know that I can do select all notes + export into one file. So, now I see the total size of all notes (by ENEX file). And I just did sign-off, killed EXB file, sign-in again. 
After synchronization EXB file takes 345Mb. Much better now.

Thank you for help. :)

Of course there is a bug in EverNote. But at least I found a workaround. Total size of all notes can be determined by select all + export to one ENEX file. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dmitry_bond said:

And I just did sign-off, killed EXB file, sign-in again. 
After synchronization EXB file takes 345Mb. Much better now

22GB > 345MB is definitely an indication of a problem.

Good job on resolving it. Just a warning; the rebuild from the server does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, dmitry_bond said:

But if EXB file is 22Gb then I assume there might be some "hidden records". So, that if why I thought summary size of notebook might be useful.

You can (or could have, since you blew it away) spelunk this using the SQLlite Browser. You might have been able to tell what the problem was.

51 minutes ago, dmitry_bond said:

Of course there is a bug in EverNote. But at least I found a workaround. Total size of all notes can be determined by select all + export to one ENEX file. 

Sure, good thing that's the only bug, right? :) In any case, if it's a bug, it must be a pretty rare one; otherwise the forum would be flooded with complaints about this. 

Glad you sorted it out.

Archived