Web clipper freezes large webpage due to its intensive JavaScript operations

fireattack

1. Open a long page such as https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animelo_Summer_Live

2. When it opens, the page is freezing and you can't click any link until 10s later if not longer.

The cause of this is the web clipper extension, apparently its JS script is very recourse consuming on any large web page:

performance.png.a0e5c6d631db6ce47983b3a2dbf6b7de.png

It's not a problem before.

I don't have ANY other extension and tested with a clean profile.

Same issue here.  Noticed a week or so ago that big pages were freezing after the DOM loads for 10 or 20 seconds.  Cursor doesn't change when mousing in and out, controls like dropdowns can't be used, page can't be scrolled, etc.

Finally got round to disabling all my Chrome extensions, and enabling them one by one to find the culprit.  It's definitely the Evernote Clipper.  Re-enabled Evernote and ran a performance check, and most of the time is in Evernote's content.js.  Over 15s in the two pages I tested on.  With Evernote disabled, everything is fine.

Sucks, but I'm going to have to keep it disabled till this is fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm somewhat concerned that nobody of Evernote cares to comment let alone fix this issue. It seem about time that Chrome implements a quick enable/disable feature for misbehaving plugins (performance and privacy wise).

Patrick

• 2 months later...

Been having this problem for months - I see that Evernote doesn't care. Why increase the price of the service if you can't delivery the service?  I've been a paying customer for 10 years and have to choose between not being able to use Chrome (or a chromebook) or not use the web clipper. Inexcusable. 

Archived