Ability to zoom in on images to full resolution without double clicking them

The big Discovery

Idea

I take keep many screenshots in Evernote. Currently there exists a limit to how much I can zoom in on images using ctrl+mousewheel (or any other way) without double clicking the image (and when I do double click, ctrl+mousewheel does not work).

Oddly enough, things work as expected if its writing (as in character font). However if there is font and images in a note, zooming in with ctrl+mousewheel will zoom in on the font, but not the image (in fact, sometimes the image actually gets smaller somehow...)

I recall that Evernote used to zoom in on images as expected, but hasn't for quite some time.

Thanks.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote changed their editor software some while ago,  so that might have been the cause of images being handled differently.  I take photographs and rapidly discovered that Evernote isn't a great place to store pictures - its generally good at storing and finding information including pictures;  but image quality and resolution isn't (forinstance) a strong point.  Don't really know what to suggest,  other than maybe getting your screen shots with an external app like Scannable or Adobe Scan which should be able to OCR the screen and -maybe- make it more accessible as text,  or storing your high-res pictures somewhere like Google Photos and linking from your note.

Maybe someone else solved this issue and can suggest a better option.  :)

23 hours ago, The big Discovery said:

I recall that Evernote used to zoom in on images as expected, but hasn't for quite some time.

One of the updates introduced the magnifying glass icon and started to open the image in full screen. I want to say that was 6 months or so ago and with that the ability to zoom into the image as much as you wanted went away. I was not a big fan of it either as I was able to zoom in with the CTRL + mouse wheel to a greater detail.

Not sure what the latest windows version is doing as I am on v6.7 at this time. 

Nonetheless, if I need to zoom in with further detail, I generally open the image (right click on image...open with) in a photo viewer app like Windows photo viewer, Chrome Picassa etc. and zoom in there. Additional step but it works for me at this time.

Hope this helps.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:25 AM, The big Discovery said:

I take keep many screenshots in Evernote. Currently there exists a limit to how much I can zoom in on images using ctrl+mousewheel (or any other way) without double clicking the image (and when I do double click, ctrl+mousewheel does not work).

Oddly enough, things work as expected if its writing (as in character font). However if there is font and images in a note, zooming in with ctrl+mousewheel will zoom in on the font, but not the image (in fact, sometimes the image actually gets smaller somehow...)

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions gazumped. I just looked that these apps and they are essentially for mobile. My main use of images is screenshots rather than scans. Do you have any suggestions for programs that would offer something similar to thumbnail view in evernote? 

• Level 5*
On 10/04/2018 at 7:00 PM, The big Discovery said:

Do you have any suggestions for programs that would offer something similar to thumbnail view in evernote? 

When on desktop I process my screenshots in XNView which is a (free) multi-purpose image convertor/ editor.  I can right-click and Open an image there to process from Evernote and hovering over that image I can zoom it from 7% to 1600% which is adequate(!) for my purposes...

If you set up a table in your note and paste pictures into the table,  that would keep them as small illustrations (NB the maximum note size for your subscription level) and right-clicking will open them in XNView* to as big as the window you create plus zoom size,  which may help.

* you'd need to set that as the default image viewer

https://www.xnview.com/en/ - "photo viewer, image resizer, batch image converter and more"

On 4/15/2018 at 4:14 AM, gazumped said:

When on desktop I process my screenshots in XNView which is a (free) multi-purpose image convertor/ editor.  I can right-click and Open an image there to process from Evernote and hovering over that image I can zoom it from 7% to 1600% which is adequate(!) for my purposes...

If you set up a table in your note and paste pictures into the table,  that would keep them as small illustrations (NB the maximum note size for your subscription level) and right-clicking will open them in XNView* to as big as the window you create plus zoom size,  which may help.

* you'd need to set that as the default image viewer

https://www.xnview.com/en/ - "photo viewer, image resizer, batch image converter and more"

Cool! will check out / trial  this program when I'm back  at my workstation. May be quite helpful.

Side note - any other similar type programs you have found for organizing files (ie pdfs, word docs, text files, etc)? I assume XnView doesn't support those.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, The big Discovery said:

Side note - any other similar type programs you have found for organizing files (ie pdfs, word docs, text files, etc)? I assume XnView doesn't support those.

I think it might look at PDF files (because they're basically image files unless saved as searchable) but I tend to use the obvious choices - MSWord / Acrobat / Notepad++ for editing any other files.

Archived