Black screen in the note panel

Hi,

I just upgraded Evernote to the latest version on my laptop (Win10): evernote 6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829).

Now the note panel is black, impossible to read any note, but they appear in the middle panel (note list).

I still can access my notes on my iphone, but what's wrong !!!

I tried to uninstall and install again, still ko

As suggested in another post, the checkbox "allow beta version" doesn't change the behavior.

Please help,

regards

• Level 5*

Hi - you say you "tried" to uninstall / reinstall;  did you in fact succeed?  If not,  I'd suggest another go - and if it doesn't reinstall correctly,  what error messages do you see - what works,  and what doesn't.  On a desktop you should still be able to log into your account via a browser at Evernote.com - just check to see what your notes look like there...

If you can see the note in the browser / on your phone - what happens if you add another note from that end and sync it to your desktop?

On 08/04/2018 at 4:25 PM, gazumped said:

Hi - you say you "tried" to uninstall / reinstall;  did you in fact succeed?  If not,  I'd suggest another go - and if it doesn't reinstall correctly,  what error messages do you see - what works,  and what doesn't.  On a desktop you should still be able to log into your account via a browser at Evernote.com - just check to see what your notes look like there...

If you can see the note in the browser / on your phone - what happens if you add another note from that end and sync it to your desktop?

Hi thank you for your help, my answers below :

uninstall/reinstall : no success, same behavior.

I don't have any error message.

As I can read/write/create any note on my laptop, I would say that evernote is note working (impossible to use it) but sync.

While using evernote with a brower, I can read my notes.

Creating a new note with an iphone + sync on the laptop, the new note appears... in black, just like all other notes.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:26 AM, Austin G said:

Click on the second "Evernote folder" so that a list of Values displays on the right

When I expand the Evernote folder, there is no "second" Evernote folder. All I see in the right panel is "(Default)      REG_SZ        (value not set)"

image.png.31e7086184f02eb5abf6c68147810a5b.png

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!

-letton

That appears either your registry hive was deleted, or you've never installed and/or run Evernote.exe. (Or it was uninstalled - can't remember how much of the registry is deleted on uninstall.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Dear Austin, 

Thank you so much for fixing my issue. I also see the note is black after my evernote update to 6.17.4.8270. 

actually, login in and out, reinstall is still the same issue. iphone and ios device or mac is ok, the web browser is ok when login in. 

I think maybe the new version has a general setting to lead in this issue. 

Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 4:56 AM, Austin G said:

Thanks for this report. Please try these steps to fix this issue: 

1.  Select File > Exit to close Evernote
  2.  Open the task manager to confirm Evernote is not running as a background process (select "Evernote and End task")
  3.  Open 'regedit' (Windows key + R, then type regedit)
  4. Expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder
  5.  Expand the "Software" folder
  6.  Expand the Evernote Folder
  7. Click on the second "Evernote folder" so that a list of Values displays on the right
  8.  Right-Click "EnableHardwareAcceleration"
  9.  Select "Modify"
  10.  Set Hexidecimal Value to "0"
  11.  Select File>Exit to exit the Registry Editor
  12. Reopen Evernote

Please let me know if the issue continues after completing the steps above. Thanks!

Hi Austin G

Your solution totally worked. 

Already saved your answer in my evernote for future use...

Big thanks for the solution.

I'm experiencing the same problem with the black note screen right now after updating to  6.17.5.8273.

I have:

1. signed out and signed in

2. uninstalled and installed and restarted the computer

3. Set Hexidecimal Value to "0"  - signed out and signed back into Evernote

None of these have worked. Luckily I have Evernote installed on my laptop as well which I will not be updating until I can get this issue resolved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, dconnet said:

New CEF releases (which I'm pretty sure we had when this problem became more prevalent) are always fun. Especially since the hardware we have doesn't exhibit the issues all of you see...

Anyone thinking about creating a lab which mirrors the majority of your users?  Small investment one would think to offset some of the G&A that can be caused.

• Level 5*
On 2/5/2019 at 5:03 PM, dconnet said:

Especially since the hardware we have doesn't exhibit the issues all of you see...

Adding some known problem hardware to the test bed would benefit us all.

• Level 5*

Matrix of different types of machines (laptops, desktops) * combinations of problematic devices (touchscreens, hard drives vs SSD, mice, graphics adaptors) * set of OS releases... starts to get a little combinatorial after awhile.

Fortunately for my work -- though it may not sound it -- stuff often breaks on  our company president's machine. If we were really smart, every time he gets a new machine we should just get two identical machines and give one to QA. Would probably cover half out hardware problems (it's a laptop, and our 3D can break on limited RAM and/or under-powered integrated graphics cards).

• Level 5*

One obviously cannot test every combination of variables so a test matrix is a balance between trying to cover everything and letting some corner cases escape, but with what has been slipping through lately, I would suggest that Evernote needs to improve the balance.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:26 AM, Austin G said:

2.  Open the task manager to confirm Evernote is not running as a background process (select "Evernote and End task")
  7. Click on the second "Evernote folder" so that a list of Values displays on the right
  9.  Select "Modify"
  12. Reopen Evernote

Please let me know if the issue continues after completing the steps above. Thanks!

Worked for me. Many thanks!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 8:34 AM, letton said:

When I expand the Evernote folder, there is no "second" Evernote folder. All I see in the right panel is "(Default)      REG_SZ        (value not set)"

image.png.31e7086184f02eb5abf6c68147810a5b.png

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!

-letton

I was facing the same issue and the suggested registry entries were missing on my machine the same as shown in your screenshot. Reinstalling didn't work either. So I tried with Tools > Options > General and unchecked the enable hardware acceleration checkbox from within the application and it worked.

If there are no entries in the registry, you're running the Windows Store version of Evernote, not the direct download version. The store isolates the registry, so there is no way to directly edit registry entries applicable to the store version.

• 2 weeks later...

There are no entries in the registry if Evernote was installed for only one user.

So, I use 2 users in my Win7: for administrative and user rights.

Entries in the registry appear after Reinstalling for all users .

Problem of Black screen in the note panel is solved with Options dialog (Evernote version: 6.17.6.82927)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have this issue with Evernote android app - chromebook and windows app are are ok

Please see attached screenshot.

I've searched for a setting or option to revert this back to white, but I can't find any.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Philip

screenshot_black-note_evernote.png

On 3/30/2019 at 8:31 PM, M_Jammy said:

a blackout in my notes section of Evernote.

Use the Options dialog and disable hardware acceleration. There's no need to directly edit the registry for that anymore.

• Level 5
On 3/29/2019 at 4:53 PM, Philip Blakemore said:

Hi

I have this issue with Evernote android app - chromebook and windows app are are ok

Please see attached screenshot.

I've searched for a setting or option to revert this back to white, but I can't find any.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Philip

Philip, please take a look at this thread in the Android help forum:

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

This has been reported a number of times, e.g., in this thread:

The workaround for the problem is to disable Hardware Acceleration in the Evernote program options: Tools  > Options > General > [ ] Enable Hardware Acceleration.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 2:52 AM, ychanco said:

Worked for me. Many thanks!!

On 4/11/2018 at 1:26 AM, Austin G said:

9.  Select "Modify"
  12. Reopen Evernote

WORKED!!!!

• Level 5*
On 4/23/2019 at 11:45 AM, Zoli71 said:
On 4/10/2018 at 7:26 PM, Austin G said:

9.  Select "Modify"
  12. Reopen Evernote

WORKED!!!!

Or you could have just used:

On 4/1/2019 at 1:53 PM, dconnet said:

Use the Options dialog and disable hardware acceleration. There's no need to directly edit the registry for that anymore.

from this thread...

On 4/11/2018 at 12:26 AM, Austin G said:

9.  Select "Modify"
  12. Reopen Evernote

thank you sooo much. i have the same issue but it was resolved going through this process.

• 3 months later...

9.  Select "Modify"
  12. Reopen Evernote

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks much! It really works, screenshot attached. 

Evernote - update.PNG

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...