Search within Evernote from wherever

pansovic

Idea

In Options / Shortcut keys I have put F8 in "Find in Evernote". 

Like that, I can press F8 from whatever program, screen and immediately get to the search. So I type F8 and immediately the word that I search for, without having to open Evernote first and place the cursor on Search. 

With Ctrl+q this is not possible however the advantage of Ctrl+q is that it shows the history of previous searches avoiding having to type again the same search string. 

As such it would be great if we can open a Ctrl+q with an F8 for example, as such combining the advantages of both search options 

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 4/3/2018 at 1:13 PM, pansovic said:

In Options / Shortcut keys I have put F8 in "Find in Evernote". 

Like that, I can press F8 from whatever program, screen and immediately get to the search. So I type F8 and immediately the word that I search for, without having to open Evernote first and place the cursor on Search. 

With Ctrl+q this is not possible however the advantage of Ctrl+q is that it shows the history of previous searches avoiding having to type again the same search string. 

As such it would be great if we can open a Ctrl+q with an F8 for example, as such combining the advantages of both search options 

You have to be careful of what shortcut key you use.  F8 may very well be used by the program you are in at the time.  I think the default for EN is Win+Shift+F.

Meanwhile pending EN creating a universal Ctrl+Q hotkey, you can use a text expander tool to create your own hot key which would have two steps, 1) force focus to EN and then 2) execute a Ctrl+Q.

F8 (or Win-Shift-F) + ctrl+q is kind of the same as using a text expander tool, with less hassle

But (Win-Shift-F-Ctrl-Q) is too much of typing work. With F8-Ctrl-Q it's already shortened but of course, the best would be with an F8 getting straight to Ctrl-Q. The number of times you search in EN I think that would be a huge advantage in time efficiency. 

• Level 5*
On 4/3/2018 at 1:49 PM, pansovic said:

F8 (or Win-Shift-F) + ctrl+q is kind of the same as using a text expander tool, with less hassle

I don't know, using PhraseExpress I set Win+Shift+/ to go from anywhere to the Ctrl+Q search in EN.  It combines both of the above commands into a single command, and its keyboard friendlier for me. 

Horses for courses, again pending EN adding a universal Ctrl+Q shortcut.

2 hours ago, CalS said:

I don't know, using PhraseExpress I set Win-Shift-/ to go from anywhere to the Ctrl-Q search in EN.  It combines both of the above commands into a single command, and its keyboard friendlier for me. 

Horses for courses, again pending EN adding a universal Ctrl-Q shortcut.

I am using as well PhraseExpress but I cannot make it happen what you do. Does this forum include guidance on PhraseExpress? 

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, pansovic said:

I am using as well PhraseExpress but I cannot make it happen what you do. Does this forum include guidance on PhraseExpress? 

It is a phrase that replicates the keystrokes with a minimal delay inserted between (unless your computer is faster than mine). 

IAC, the forum doesn’t provide support, but if you PM me about what the issues are, I will see if I can help.  

On 4/3/2018 at 4:27 PM, CalS said:

Meanwhile pending EN creating a universal Ctrl-! hotkey, you can use a text expander tool to create your own hot key which would have two steps, 1) force focus to EN and then 2) execute a Ctrl-Q.

Thanks for the idea! I just created one in Breevy, that switches to Evernote when I type "ens" and thit CTRL (which is my trigger key for Breevy) and does the CTRL+Q. 

Although my windows tool bar is set in a way that I hit WIN+9 I get Evernote or even my mouse is set up that I do the the Gesture+Mouse Pull Down I get Evernote, this can come in handy as well.

Archived