Evernote for Mac 7.1 GA (UPDATE: 7.1.1 hot fix)

Jason Creadore

Idea

Update:

We have identified the root cause of a text flow issue. The 7.1.1 release can be found here. This fix was also included in the 7.2 Beta 1 release. Thank you for the community feedback.

7.1.1 Release Notes:

- We took care of an issue with lists sometime having text flow vertically instead of horizontally.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Community, 

We are releasing version 7.1 GA to provide a way to hide recent notes from shortcuts and to improve quality with 10+ bug fixes, including three for Work Chat and stability improvements reducing crash rates.  You can download it here , or check for updates in the app to get the latest. 

Thanks!

Jason and the Mac Team

Evernote for Mac 7.1 GA Release Notes

New

• A way to hide and display recent notes from the shortcuts section of the sidebar

Improved

• Fixed an intermittent issue where an individual item in recent notes displays multiple times

• Fixed an intermittent issue with Note Snippets flashing while typing

• Fixed an issue where Assisted Search would have a false positive, indicating a note was found

• Fixed an intermittent issue where a notebook joined from Work Chat would not load notes

• Fixed a Work Chat issue where text in the share screen would not appear

• Fixed a Work Chat issue where users do not receive an invitation message with a shared note

• Fixed an intermittent crash resulting from Work Chat usage

• Fixed an intermittent issue where visual artifacts appear when launching Mission Control

• Fixed a visual issue with reordering shortcuts

• Fixed an intermittent issue where expanding and collapsing items would not work every time

• Fixed an issue where Plus users could not dismiss a PDF annotation pop over window

• Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to jump to tag did not open the filter tag menu

• Fixed an issue with the cursor not changing to provide affordance of clickability of Note breadcrumb

• Fixed an issue with images that have been resized or rotated then undone

50 replies to this idea

On 4/24/2018 at 7:58 AM, RMS6 said:

I'm experiencing formatting issues with Webclipper using Chrome and Mac 7.1 (an issue that has probably been noted already). When clipping a simplified article I end up with a fixed line length (does not re-adjust when I resize windows) and severe limitations on subsequent editing of the note. For example, the font size of the title (within the note, not the title of the note) is exceedingly large, but I am unable to reduce it. If I cut the title altogether, any subsequent text entered at the start of the note reverts back to the original title font, size and format. Will you restore the functionality of previous versions?

Thanks

I'm having the same problems with Chrome on Windows 10. The article title is presented in PT Serif 62 which is ridiculously huge (see screen snap). I don't recall exactly when this started happening, but I think it was in early March of this year.

Evernote simplified note title font is too large.jpg

After the update to 7.1, numbered lists do not renumber properly when a single item is deleted. Numbering restarts after the deleted item (see screenshots below). Is this an intentional change or a bug? This is definitely not how lists previously behaved. Thanks!

5ad8e10aa7d69_ScreenShot2018-04-18at12_32_24.thumb.png.93f01870e58ba774627d67590aff8532.png5ad8e10da1464_ScreenShot2018-04-18at12_33_57.thumb.png.a4d83ca8a7b1a4713153359a3449bf77.png

• Ex Employees
23 hours ago, nschoepp said:

After the update to 7.1, numbered lists do not renumber properly when a single item is deleted. Numbering restarts after the deleted item (see screenshots below). Is this an intentional change or a bug? This is definitely not how lists previously behaved. Thanks!

5ad8e10aa7d69_ScreenShot2018-04-18at12_32_24.thumb.png.93f01870e58ba774627d67590aff8532.png5ad8e10da1464_ScreenShot2018-04-18at12_33_57.thumb.png.a4d83ca8a7b1a4713153359a3449bf77.png

Thanks for mentioning this. Our developers are aware of it, and the fix should be available in a future update (no eta on when to expect it).

Hi here,

Need to let you know that after latest update I've got some issues with the search.
Search works only for some notes. For most of the notes search feature can't find any match. Neither for title, neither for content.
I've noticed that during upgrade there was some kind of migration happening. May be issue is caused by migration or indexing.

Fact: search works for new notes, created after update.

I will appreciate any hints to resolve this issue.

I use Evernote 7.1 for Mac, along with Evernote Clipper for Mac Chrome 7.1.0. Since migrating to these new versions (last week? - can't recall), I've experienced several annoying issues:

1. When clipping articles from my browser, I'm unable to type in part of a tag that brings up all tags with that word. The tags that appear are only those that begin with the sequence of letters I type in, but this is much less user-friendly when you can't recall exactly how the tag name begins (a great many are sub-sorted with different lead words). Previous versions of Clipper did allow that, and it was vastly better.

2. When using the Evernote application itself, all new clipped articles have a weird formatting that does not correspond to my preferences. For example, my default text is Arial, but the text appears in PT Serif font (I hate serif fonts!). Moreover, the headlines are in 83 point font, which is far too large. And finally, the margins of the clipped article are very narrow - what happened to the wider margins of previous versions?

3. All of this means I have to go in and manually reformat the text to a smaller Arial font.

I hope Evernote is aware of these bugs (at least I hope they recognize them as such) and will correct these in future updates.

On 4/21/2018 at 6:57 AM, ILLIA said:

Hi here,

Need to let you know that after latest update I've got some issues with the search.
Search works only for some notes. For most of the notes search feature can't find any match. Neither for title, neither for content.
I've noticed that during upgrade there was some kind of migration happening. May be issue is caused by migration or indexing.

Fact: search works for new notes, created after update.

I will appreciate any hints to resolve this issue.

Have you tried kicking off a reindex?

In Evernote, hold down the Option key on keyboard, select “Help”, then “Troubleshooting”, then “Recreate Spotlight Search Index”:Help.thumb.png.25ddcf82de200e05f2c3a1013f71064c.png

On 4/9/2018 at 3:25 PM, JMichaelTX said:

@Jason Creadore, many thanks for a release that is focused on bug fixes.  Please keep doing this until all of the material bugs are fixed.

Other than the two outstanding bugs listed above, can you tell us if there are any other material bugs not fixed, that have been reported since Ver 6.11.1 (the last good version, IMO).

Thanks.

Thank you for the feedback and the kind words. We're balancing feature development with bug fixes and technical spikes. In regards to other material bugs, we have good detection in place so the list is numerous. I am aware of the complications this can create and am allocating some additional resources and developing new strategies for making a more meaningful impact to the bug backlog. 

21 minutes ago, Jason Creadore said:

Thank you for the feedback and the kind words. We're balancing feature development with bug fixes and technical spikes. In regards to other material bugs, we have good detection in place so the list is numerous. I am aware of the complications this can create and am allocating some additional resources and developing new strategies for making a more meaningful impact to the bug backlog. 

The note list has been broken for over 2 months now. How is this not a top priority on the list of outstanding bugs? 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, janstet said:

How is this not a top priority on the list of outstanding bugs? 

Of course you should be in charge of setting development priorities.  
I uderstand the invisible note issue has been resolved and planned for the next release.  
See the post at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112708-evernote-for-mac-71-ga/?do=findComment&comment=502673

We're aiming for Evernote for Mac 7.2 Beta 1. 
Most likely within the first week of May, but no promises.

56 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Of course you should be in charge of setting development priorities.  I uderstand the invisible note issue has been resolved and planned for the next release.  See the post at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112708-evernote-for-mac-71-ga/?do=findComment&comment=502673

Did you even bother to read this thread?

"Most likely within the first week of May, but no promises. It really depends in a number of factors from implementing fixes, features and getting QA sign off."

That is not a confirmation that the issue has been fixed. For over 2 months now this bug has been a work in progress. Maybe next time you should try reading the thread before posting and trying to be sarcastic.

I'm experiencing formatting issues with Webclipper using Chrome and Mac 7.1 (an issue that has probably been noted already). When clipping a simplified article I end up with a fixed line length (does not re-adjust when I resize windows) and severe limitations on subsequent editing of the note. For example, the font size of the title (within the note, not the title of the note) is exceedingly large, but I am unable to reduce it. If I cut the title altogether, any subsequent text entered at the start of the note reverts back to the original title font, size and format. Will you restore the functionality of previous versions?

Thanks

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Jason Creadore said:

I have said it before and I'll say it again. I wish you (Evernote) would put a hold on any new features until this backlog of bugs is substantially reduced. And this goes double for the WIndows side.

I am thrilled to see the issue is recognized, but until it is given top priority, it is going to be an ongoing problem.

On 4/24/2018 at 2:58 AM, RMS6 said:

Thanks

I have exactly the same issue. It's a bug that appeared when 7.1 came out. And I agree that it is super annoying. 

39 minutes ago, mode1 said:

I have exactly the same issue. It's a bug that appeared when 7.1 came out. And I agree that it is super annoying. 

I have run into this bug lately as well. Super annoying. Of course new features take priority over existing bugs so I'm sure a fix will be rolled out in 3+ months. :rolleyes:

Could you please stop adding those features of nonsense such as the mouse controlled list indentation?

With 7.1 release, TAB key works like *****, ordering list indentation became really painful.

You developers do change line indentation through your mouse?? 

I just want that list indentation function work conventionally,  please give us back that once stable and ordinary Evernote!

No more fancy *****, please.

在 2018/4/17 在 AM7點07分, janstet說:

Can we get an update on when a fix will be available for the "blank note list" glitch. Honestly it's very disappointing that the note list has been broken for 2 months now. Version 7.0 was released on Feb. 16th. It's now April 16th and the note list is still broken...

Feel exactly the same, disappointed each time after updating evernote.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:34 PM, macfixer said:

Have you tried kicking off a reindex?

In Evernote, hold down the Option key on keyboard, select “Help”, then “Troubleshooting”, then “Recreate Spotlight Search Index”:

Hi, that did the trick for me. Fixed my search after installing 7.1.

BUT, why are you hiding the option to re-index with a special key?

Is it normal for image files to be missing from clipped articles in 7.1? The images are still present in the web version but missing from 7.1.

• Level 5*
On 4/3/2018 at 1:51 PM, Jason Creadore said:

Update:

We have identified the root cause of a text flow issue. The 7.1.1 release can be found here. This fix was also included in the 7.2 Beta 1 release. Thank you for the community feedback.

7.1.1 Release Notes:

- We took care of an issue with lists sometime having text flow vertically instead of horizontally.

@Jason Creadore, thanks for the update.

However, it would be much better if you would start a new Topic, or at least a NEW post in this topic when making changes.

No one gets a notification when you just change an existing post, so we don't know about the update.

On 4/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, nicolml said:

Can you share a screen recording? Feel free to DM me if anything private. 

Thanks, 

Yes - here is a link to a video of the Chrome Webclipper Bookmark issue. I also show in the video that the issue does not exist with the Firefox webclipper. I hope this helps. You can view the video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12OG2Myntm6Xbi19hMkOf5YVqHtao4XE0/view?usp=sharing

4 hours ago, timnote said:

Yes - here is a link to a video of the Chrome Webclipper Bookmark issue. I also show in the video that the issue does not exist with the Firefox webclipper. I hope this helps. You can view the video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12OG2Myntm6Xbi19hMkOf5YVqHtao4XE0/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!  Did some research and the clipper team already has a bug filed for this. Thanks! 

@EdH and @janstet,

These issues are still not resolved yet.

We're reworking the note list and will slide in these fixes accordingly as soon as they are resolved in our end. Thanks for the patience and for pointing out the bugs. Please keep them coming.  

• Level 5*
On 4/3/2018 at 1:51 PM, Jason Creadore said:

We are releasing version 7.1 GA to provide a way to hide recent notes from shortcuts and to improve quality with 10+ bug fixes, including three for Work Chat and stability improvements reducing crash rates.

@Jason Creadore, many thanks for a release that is focused on bug fixes.  Please keep doing this until all of the material bugs are fixed.

Other than the two outstanding bugs listed above, can you tell us if there are any other material bugs not fixed, that have been reported since Ver 6.11.1 (the last good version, IMO).

Thanks.

This release STILL continues to pop up a notification asking for approval when moving a note from my inbox to a shared notebook. I do this more than 5 times a day and i've been doing it for 9 years, now Evernote insists that i approve every single note i move to a shared notebook. This "feature" is intrusive, counterproductive, and absolutely should have a checkbox (as is normal in MacOS apps) that gives me an option to no longer see this notification requesting my approval. This was added in 7.0 and is the single worst and most intrusive thing to affect my daily work that Evernote has ever done.

1 hour ago, macfixer said:

7.1's got some funky note numbering going on. The note counts don't update unless I click on each notebook:

Inbox_Misnumbered.thumb.jpg.96667ce5df8dd61e74e29a18f381a7e1.jpg

Hey @macfixer,

You're correct. We're tracking some of these note count discrepancies in this version. There's also an issue where when you access a note shared via WorkChat, it adds +1 to your note count, but when you remove that WC thread the count doesn't go down. Just FYI.
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll confirm with the devs if this is an issue we have logged. 

**Update**

This issue was filed on 7.0.3 and is on our radar. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, janstet said:

Any ETA on that release? 

Most likely within the first week of May, but no promises. It really depends in a number of factors from implementing fixes, features and getting QA sign off. In the other hand we really want to get this update in your hands because you are all great in reporting back to us, so we're doing our best to have this ready asap. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, timnote said:

Bookmarks is now doing something weird. 

Then when I went to delete the contents of a normal full page note it responded like it was an iframe???

Can you share a screen recording? Feel free to DM me if anything private. 

Thanks, 

It's the chrome webclipper - If you create a bookmark evernote and then try to add a note of text below it, a new line is as high as the whole bookmark clipping... 

Also large / long images are now being "partially hidden" until you click on them even using the 

8 minutes ago, timnote said:

It's the chrome webclipper - If you create a bookmark evernote and then try to add a note of text below it, a new line is as high as the whole bookmark clipping... 

Also large / long images are now being "partially hidden" until you click on them even using the 

Can you provide the URL and the steps to reproduce? 

• Level 5*

Any chance you can stop pushing Spaces Ads to the Mac client?

I've got a personal account that I pay for and one of the original promises was "pay and no ads" - to my mind that includes Evernote's own stuff.

2 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Any chance you can stop pushing Spaces Ads to the Mac client?

I've got a personal account that I pay for and one of the original promises was "pay and no ads" - to my mind that includes Evernote's own stuff.

I'll forward your feedback to product folks on your behalf. Thanks! 

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, nicolml said:

I'll forward your feedback to product folks on your behalf. Thanks!

Please forward to the Windows product folks as well.  I'm also a premium user and have received numerous emails and am getting the in app notifications too.

Why is there no fix for the issue with Evernote Clipper for Mac?

My understanding from Evernote staff's post was that a fix should have been delivered in v7.1?

When can we expect this fix to be released?

Since I updated Evernote app on my Mac to the latest one, the application is not opened... So, I deleted it, restarted Mac, and re-installed the app, but still I cannot open it.... so frustrated. The Evernote web is not as convenient as the app... Please fix this issue.

On 4/3/2018 at 7:25 PM, nicolml said:

These issues are still not resolved yet.

We're reworking the note list and will slide in these fixes accordingly as soon as they are resolved in our end. Thanks for the patience and for pointing out the bugs. Please keep them coming. 

Can we get an update on when a fix will be available for the "blank note list" glitch. Honestly it's very disappointing that the note list has been broken for 2 months now. Version 7.0 was released on Feb. 16th. It's now April 16th and the note list is still broken...

On 4/16/2018 at 6:07 PM, janstet said:

We're aiming for Evernote for Mac 7.2 Beta 1. 

Archived