Evernote for Windows 6.11 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks, 

Thanks for the feedback on the 6.11 Beta, this version is now generally available. You can download it here and we'll be rolling out to all users and to the App Store over the next couple of weeks. Special thanks to our dogfooders who helped us spot the issue with PDFs not being displayed correctly - we've addressed the issue for the GA. 

Please stay tuned for our next Beta. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows Team. 

-------------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.11

Note: Versions 6.11 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved:

• Improved drag and drop support for lists, to-dos, and tables
  • Added incremental zoom control in the image gallery mode
  • Added support for hundreds of emojis using typebehind including ??????
  • Improved the performance of note loading

Fixed:

• An issue where some clipped content is not visible in notes
  • An issue where words added to the dictionary aren't remembered between app launches
  • An issue where some notebooks are not listed when moving a note from a joined notebook
  • An issue where attached PDFs and Images are sometimes not searchable
  • An intermittent issue where new users can sometimes see no content after first launch
  • An issue where a new note is created in the default notebook when a stack is selected instead of the first notebook in the stack
  • An issue where rotating an image or annotating it results in the size of the image getting reset
  • An issue where Google drive links cannot be opened when the enable descriptive links is checked
  • Several workchat issues including one where a user is taken back to the "All Notes" view after a sync is performed
  • Several top crashes

On 15/04/2018 at 6:53 PM, hij said:

Thanks @fredhammersmith! I'm trying it out now. I set up SlickRun commands to block and unblock Evernote, rather than using the timer to automatically unblock it. So far, Evernote is snappy again.  (The short explanation is that blocking Evernote via a Windows Firewall rule prevents the freezes. When you want to sink, you can unblock Evernote.)

UPDATE: Even with Evernote's network access blocked, I'm still seeing significant lag when opening a note, when first starting to edit it, and when Alt-Tabbing back to it to resume editing.

Hi. Curious about SlickRun, but I am not very command-literate, and I would need to dig in and do a lot of reading to do it right. Would you be kind enough to share what command I should put to block Evernote access with it?

I finally just gave up on 6.11 GA.   The previous release was awful as I do a lot of copy / paste from Outlook to Evernote.   Paste would go to the bottom of the page and not where the curser was, Typing would do the same...   I finally uninstalled and went back to 5.8.5.7193 that I had on my laptop.  It does what I need.  

I will chime in with the others, I hate the new PDF view.   I love the view in 5.8.5.   If the viewer is the issue as I have read mentioned, why not just allow the PDF to be opened by the installed PDF viewer on the PC?

I miss some of the features in 6.11, but not enough to suffer thru the things that make my work more difficult.

23 hours ago, Roger I said:

I finally just gave up on 6.11 GA.   The previous release was awful as I do a lot of copy / paste from Outlook to Evernote.   Paste would go to the bottom of the page and not where the curser was, Typing would do the same..

I don't recall noticing 6.11 GA doing that, but for me, 6.12 beta 2 doesn't do that, and since I have a home page note that I edit almost every day, I am reasonably confident I pasted and edited at the cursor location with 6.11 GA with no difficulty.

Having said that, I did notice random cursor location jumps similar to what you mention, with no rhyme or reason, not easily reproduced, but more often noted in connection with tables.

• Level 5*
On 4/26/2018 at 6:44 PM, Roger I said:

I finally just gave up on 6.11 GA.   The previous release was awful as I do a lot of copy / paste from Outlook to Evernote.   Paste would go to the bottom of the page and not where the curser was, Typing would do the same...   I finally uninstalled and went back to 5.8.5.7193 that I had on my laptop.  It does what I need.  

You might consider 6.5 GA - it's a fairly popular version among EN Windows users who have decided to roll back from newer versions. 

Hi Evernote Team.

Currently, I'm running the 6.11 version that rolled out a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to let you know there is a bug where Evernote won´t allow text content (it happened to me with Microsoft Word) to be pasted into notes. This is quite frustrating, so could you please look into it.

Thank you for your attention.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:40 AM, chirmer said:

Hi Nick,

Can we get any information on the status for the PDF viewer in Evernote? Everyone hates it. Features were removed, including drag and drop, and people have been expressing disdain and regret over this for months in the forum. Can we get an answer from someone at Evernote that we're even being heard? Will we get that functionality back? Can we opt-out of the Chrome PDF viewer you've decided to use?

I have personally chosen to stop using Evernote and move to a different product because of this. Not just the complete breaking of a useful feature of your product, but because of Evernote staff's lack of response in addressing our concerns. I have lost faith in the company, in addition to the product. A direct answer from staff, for once, would make a big difference.

Thank you.

I hadn't been following this forum much lately, in part because I was hoping the quality problems with Evernote would have leveled off and I could focus on using it again. But after the last update I started noticing some weird things: a different PDF viewer, weird behavior when I used the Evernote Web Clipper for Chrome to create bookmarks of web sites, a lot of lag, a cursor that jumps around for no reason messing up input, and more. I don't use Evernote as heavily as some people. I only have about 1,800 notes. So it took a little while for the glitches to build to a "critical mass" for me. I wondered if it was just me and my machine. Having seen this thread, I realize I'm not just crazy (or if I am, it's a separate issue ?).

A while back when Evernote botched the roll-out of v8.x of the iOS client (with bugs that literally destroyed some people's note content including mine), I wondered publicly whether we'd go through similar pain the next time the company decided to make major changes to the Windows client. Well, I now know the answer. Spoiler alert: it's "yes."

I suspect we're shouting into the void here. It's not like customers haven't complained. A lot of us have. Pointedly. Evernote has had egregious quality problems for the last year or two, and they've had plenty of opportunity to listen to customer feedback and improve quality. For whatever reason, the quality issues remain. I suspect we either have to grin and bear it, or walk away. Complaining hasn't resulted in any positive changes.

So I'm just about where @chirmer is now. I think it's time to leave. And it's a shame, really. Evernote was a great idea, but the organization is headed in the wrong direction. I've seen this sort of thing before, and it usually indicates a company is in a death spiral.

Archived