Saving a PDF with the name of the note?

Is there any way - when saving (downloading) a pdf that is attached to a note - to have the filename the same as the note name, rather than the numerical name that EN gave the file when it was scanned? I assume not. It would be useful to be able to do so.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, DavidD said:

rather than the numerical name that EN gave the file when it was scanned?

Not sure how you're doing your scanning.  My experience is that EN is not assigning names.
I'm able to rename attachments on my Mac.  It's a manual process that I'd like to automate.5ac149599acbe_ScreenShot2018-04-01at14_03_18.png.3e5f8b204959b500912177019d56692b.png

When the files are scanned into EN using ScanSnap the notes (and the name of the pdf) get a name like "2017_03_01_19_58_44" related to the date.
I usually change the name of the note to reflect the nature of the scanned document.
If I need to get those files out of EN, using Save As the resultant file name is 2017_03_01_19_58_44.pdf.
It would be great to have the file name take on the note name. 

• Level 5*

Got it; Your issue is with the scanner assigning the pdf name.
I have the same problem with my scanner and scanning app.

I use the Scannable app on my iPad and have the option of changing the pdf name before saving to Evernote.
Do you have the option on your scanner?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DavidD said:

When the files are scanned into EN using ScanSnap the notes (and the name of the pdf) get a name like "2017_03_01_19_58_44" related to the date.
I usually change the name of the note to reflect the nature of the scanned document.
If I need to get those files out of EN, using Save As the resultant file name is 2017_03_01_19_58_44.pdf.
It would be great to have the file name take on the note name. 

Yeah you have to rename the PDF.  My method is to copy the note name, right click and select rename, then paste.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're using a Fujitsu (as opposed to an Evernote Edition) ScanSnap,  the ScanSnap Manager icon on your desktop lets you choose a variety of options for names.  I have my scanning set up to scan to a folder on my had drive,  and SM invites me to edit the assigned name before the file is saved there.  I set the file name to be the title I require for my note,  and the two automatically match when the files from the 'scanned' folder are drag-n-dropped into an Import folder and notes are automatically created from the file names.

I find it useful to have one note which is an alphabetic list of 'master' note titles that includes (forinstance) all the suppliers I use,  and any projects I'm working on.  All I have to do is choose the correct title to match the scanned document and amend the saved details with the current date - which I have set up in Phrase Express - or a different date more appropriate to that document.  Setting a detailed title for my note requires a few keypresses to date and copy it across.

Scanning to folder also allows you to avoid the occasional scanning error and edit where necessary.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, DavidD said:

Thanks gazumped - that's a good system - but I really like CalS's solution; it's pretty quick and works well. Wish I'd figured it out years ago!

I only rename if I will be sharing the PDF, otherwise I leave it be.  Doesn't impact search or the like.  Any PDF I download gets named as I do it.

3 hours ago, CalS said:

I only rename if I will be sharing the PDF, otherwise I leave it be.  Doesn't impact search or the like.  Any PDF I download gets named as I do it.

Yes, that's what I'm gonna do.

Archived