Evernote Reminder Icon is simply missing

***Solved***

A couple weeks back the reminder icon from my windows client simply disappeared.

No, it's not listed under Tools > Customize Toolbar.  It used to be there, now it's not.

Yes, I did do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the windows client recently, same issue.  

I've been using the webapp to set reminders in the mean time, however it would be nice to have this functionality again in the windows client.

Evernote for windows note with reminder.PNG

Evernote for Windows customize toolbar.PNG

Edited by Jackson.Jeff
Removed system info. & solved.
  • Level 5*

New releases of EN are simply replacing the icons in the toolbar with the share icon, it's been reported numerous times.  Workaround is to add the reminder icon back to the toolbar and remove the share icon, and add any other icons you want to have. 

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Jackson.Jeff said:

Turns out I just need to read my email.  They moved it.

Well, sort of. Cal's right: this is a bug that wipes out the way you have the note editing toolbar configuration on new version installation. You need to reconfigure to the way you like it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, jefito said:

Well, sort of. Cal's right: this is a bug that wipes out the way you have the note editing toolbar configuration on new version installation. You need to reconfigure to the way you like it.

I follow the bug reports (in the publicly released versions!) fairly closely here, for which reason I plan never to update Evernote again, unless they stop this sort of thing. This one, though, just drops my jaw. Why in heaven's name would they release a version knowing that it would do this? I'm serious. Anyone with any inside knowledge, please let us know the use-case for this.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Why in heaven's name would they release a version knowing that it would do this?

Successive versions to be precise.  Rhetorical question I suppose, but focus and priorities, just not getting at the niggling issues in support of the greater mission???  Don't want to touch the possible negative perspectives. 

Really don't get it myself either.  At some point one needs to clear the noise.  :(  Beginning to wonder what kind of churn they have in development/management.

• Level 5
1 minute ago, CalS said:

Really don't get it myself either.  At some point one needs to clear the noise.  :(  Beginning to wonder what kind of churn they have in development/management.

Honestly, not very charitable, but I wonder if they don't need a little more churn, perhaps somewhere near the top of the Windows dev team.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Honestly, not very charitable, but I wonder if they don't need a little more churn, perhaps somewhere near the top of the Windows dev team.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the knowledge loss and attendant issues churn generates.  Of course, still doesn't mean you can't focus and fix the issues.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, CalS said:

Rhetorical question I suppose, but focus and priorities, just not getting at the niggling issues in support of the greater mission???

That would be my guess (for what that's worth) -- it can be a case of perceived bang for the buck. Seemingly smaller issues can go by the wayside, hopefully only temporarily.

5 hours ago, CalS said:

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the knowledge loss and attendant issues churn generates.  Of course, still doesn't mean you can't focus and fix the issues.

Yes, that can definitely be a thing, and Peter K, for example (and who left), was certainly a longtime and visible presence out here in public, and (I suspect, but can only guess) was a large part of how the Windows application was architected. Focusing is all well and good, but when you don't have an intimate sense of how everything hangs together, then fixing one thing can lead to regressions elsewhere.  Takes time to grow into a large code base, and sometimes breaking things is the only way to suss out hidden connections and pitfalls (we really try to keep such problems out of the hands of the public), and maybe (hopefully) to fix the latter...

6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

No, not very charitable at all. Are you that well informed that you could choose who you'd fire? But then, oh yeah, they need to be replaced, causing more knowledge loss and churn...

Look, software is hard, hard to build, to support, and to test (Don't believe me? If Evernote is so bad, then it ought to have been easily blown out of the water by its competitors. Heck, MS is giving OneNote away). I'm not trying to defend anyone here, and not downplaying the annoying bugs that exist and aren't fixed immediately and drive people to distraction, or to quit Evernote, but I just don't know what's going on behind the green door to make any guesses / insinuations about competence of the dev team, good or bad. It just wouldn't be fair.  And particularly when on the whole, Evernote does what I need it to do to a large degree, better than other products I've seen out there so far (and I do look, sometimes).

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

Focusing is all well and good, but when you don't have an intimate sense of how everything hangs together, then fixing one thing can lead to regressions elsewhere.  Takes time to grow into a large code base, and sometimes breaking things is the only way to suss out hidden connections and pitfalls (we really try to keep such problems out of the hands of the public), and maybe (hopefully) to fix the latter...

I think we are pretty much on the same page here.  ;)  Focus to me means deciding what you want to do and making sure that capabilities and needs align, and if not, adjusting the resources or target .  What we see in the output of EN is the result of that focus, what to create and how much to fix.

Unfortunately warts are mostly what comes up in the forums, and EN owns whatever warts and successes of the last few years.  We (or at least I) are/am in the cheap seats, guessing as to why the warts continue to exist.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, CalS said:

Unfortunately warts are mostly what comes up in the forums, and EN owns whatever warts and successes of the last few years.  We (or at least I) are/am in the cheap seats, guessing as to why the warts continue to exist.

Not to forget that warts are what are discussed more often in the forums here. It's a lot more rare for people pop in just to post about how much they like new feature X than to complain about something wrong with feature Y.

I know I'm right there in the cheap seats along with you, btw...

• Level 5
18 hours ago, jefito said:
21 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

No, not very charitable at all. Are you that well informed that you could choose who you'd fire? But then, oh yeah, they need to be replaced, causing more knowledge loss and churn...

Look, software is hard, hard to build, to support, and to test (Don't believe me? If Evernote is so bad, then it ought to have been easily blown out of the water by its competitors. Heck, MS is giving OneNote away). I'm not trying to defend anyone here, and not downplaying the annoying bugs that exist and aren't fixed immediately and drive people to distraction, or to quit Evernote, but I just don't know what's going on behind the green door to make any guesses / insinuations about competence of the dev team, good or bad. It just wouldn't be fair.  And particularly when on the whole, Evernote does what I need it to do to a large degree, better than other products I've seen out there so far (and I do look, sometimes).

Fair enough, Jeff. But I do know that software, especially something as complex as Evernote, and especially across platforms, is very hard to make. Nor do I expect bugs to be fixed immediately, or feature suggestions to be implemented immediately. I'm not asking for wonders, I don't think. It's when several updates in a row break things that were working fine without any explanation that I think something is wrong.

This has been the case with the Windows program in recent months. It happened in the Android app too, WRT the clipping feature. In that forum, some sort of explanation was eventually given, showing how things EN had no responsibility for played a role; and the clipping feature has been coming back in the last couple of updates. But in the Windows program, things break without notice, let alone explanation, and they don't seem to get fixed.

No, we don't know what's going on behind the green door. They don't tell us. There are good reasons for that a lot of the time; but when you release an update to beta, get responses about what's not working, and then release it to the public with stuff still broken--why not at least give the users a heads-up? There are people who get paid to make things sound pretty; find one and let them work on the release notes, even if just to say, "Something went wrong in this release, but things A, B, C are improved, and we'll fix the broken thing in the next release." Now, if someone in a responsible role thinks that's a waste of time, and thinks that breaking stuff and letting it stay broken for no reason you care to share with your customers seems like a good idea, that person needs a performance review.

It's impossible to make things perfect; it's hard to make them good; it's pretty easy to say, "Oops, sorry about that, we'll get it fixed."

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
54 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It's impossible to make things perfect; it's hard to make them good; it's pretty easy to say, "Oops, sorry about that, we'll get it fixed."

Just to be clear, I don't disagree with that.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, jefito said:

Not to forget that warts are what are discussed more often in the forums here.

Yeah, hence the unfortunately.

• Evernote Employee
On 3/30/2018 at 1:41 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Why in heaven's name would they release a version knowing that it would do this? I'm serious

We didn't know it would. We don't know why it is. It is definitely an open bug in our tracking system.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, dconnet said:

We didn't know it would. We don't know why it is. It is definitely an open bug in our tracking system.

@dconnet, thanks for this. I want to apologize for the churlish tone of some of my posts here. I guess part of my frustration is that I like to keep programs up to date, and to try out new features. But every update of Evernote for Windows in recent months has caused significant problems, generally without any warning or explanation at all. (See, e.g., these threads: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112666-inserting-rule-only-works-once/;  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112594-all-print-functions-have-failed/https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/111758-notes-appearing-blank-in-windows-desktop-client/https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112660-pdf-disappears-after-update-evernote-for-windows/). I'm afraid I'll never be able to update again without having it break something I need, and I just find that frustrating.

I'll try not to speculate any more on why this is happening. I will say, though, that it didn't used to happen. I think the bork-fest began with the version that introduced the new table features, and gave every note unwanted extra margin width. I skipped that upgrade, and have skipped every one since, as the reports here have grown consistently more depressing. I certainly get that forums like this inevitably show only the problems. But again, this level of problems with every update only seems to have started relatively recently; and the level of communication about features and fixes has not improved correspondingly.

At any rate, I'll try to pry my foul-spirited curmudgeon hat off my head (it's not the one I'm wearing in my avatar, of course), figure I've made my point (if any), and offer more positive contributions in future.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Employee

For people who are seeing this, can you please let me know:
- the version being upgraded and the new version being installed
- every upgrade?
- Are you switching between versions?
- Is there more than one setting in the registry for `NoteInfoToolbarConfig5`  (meaning ending in a different digit)

The installer does not touch this registry setting on upgrade, so the only way I can see it failing is if you actually uninstall first. Or there's an old setting in there - which would be very odd because we delete that after migrating the setting.

I've seen this on my own machine once - but have never seen it again, or been able to reproduce it...

• Level 5*

@dconnet

I've seen this in every beta version recently (I haven't skipped any in a while). I can't tell you when it started, but I've needed to redo my toolbar icons at least 8 times (or 4 times for each of my two machines, both of which are Windows 10). I only ever do beta/GA updates, and I don't uninstall first.

I don't have a "NoteInfoToolbarConfig<x>" registry entry. I *do* have a "NoteFrameToolbarConfig<x>", whose value is "Reminder;Present;Print;ShareNoteV", which is curious because I only have the note info and reminder icons enabled (even avter sutting Evernote down and restarting)

• Evernote Employee

I think I may have found the issue (sorry, too late to make it to GA). If the program doesn't exit cleanly or have time to write the registry data, the setting is lost. (@jefito, if you looked while EN was running, that's why you didn't see anything - and exactly what the problem is.)

To work around this, rather than clicking 'Install' when prompted to upgrade, close EN completely. Then start the upgrade independently of the program.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, dconnet said:

@jefito, if you looked while EN was running, that's why you didn't see anything - and exactly what the problem is.

Hmmm, curious. It's possible I shut down Evernote and didn't refresh the registry before I reported (if so, sorry about that). But there's a  "NoteInfoToolbarConfig5" entry there now (after cycling through another shutdown), and it contains the right stuff. Is "NoteFrameToolbarConfig<x>" obsolete?

23 minutes ago, dconnet said:

To work around this, rather than clicking 'Install' when prompted to upgrade, close EN completely. Then start the upgrade independently of the program.

I'll just wait for the post-GA beta comes out.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

If the program doesn't exit cleanly or have time to write the registry data, the setting is lost.

Don't know if it helps, but pretty sure I have File - Exit'ed multiple times when running a Beta, rebooted my PC for other reasons and still had the issue when a new beta/GA arrived.

EDIT:  Just upgraded to 6.11GA and the note toolbar stayed as is.  Go figure.  The above comment still stands though.

Edited by CalS
  • Level 5*

Edit to the above post.  Tried to change the number of columns in thumbnail view and EN crashed.  When I restarted EN the notebook toolbar had been reset to the share icon.

EDIT:  Fixed the toolbar reference.

Edited by CalS
  • Evernote Employee
On 4/3/2018 at 10:32 AM, CalS said:

Edit to the above post.  Tried to change the number of columns in thumbnail view and EN crashed.  When I restarted EN the notebook toolbar had been reset to the share icon.

Yes. That's the underlying bug... The regval is deleted when the program starts and only rewritten (usually) when the program flushes it's data back to the registry.

• Thanks 1