Evernote for Windows 6.11 Beta 1

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks - 

Today we're announcing the availability of version 6.11 Beta 1. You can download it here or check for updates (make sure you've opted in to get Beta updates from Options.) 

This release is focused on driving up quality - we've addressed a number of top reported issues, as well as improved the drag and drop experience for lists, to-dos and table rows and columns. We're especially keen to hear what you think of the improvements to the note experience and other scenarios you'd like to see addressed in the future. Please also let us know if you spot any issues with the Beta. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team

Release Notes for Windows version 6.11

Note: Versions 6.11 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Fixed:

Notable fixes in this release include - 

• An issue where some clipped content is not visible in notes
  • An issue where words added to the dictionary aren't remembered between app launches
  • An issue where some notebooks are not listed when moving a note from a joined notebook
  • An issue where attached PDFs and Images are sometimes not searchable
  • An intermittent issue where new users can sometimes see no content after first launch
  • An issue where a new note is created in the default notebook when a stack is selected instead of the first notebook in the stack
  • An issue where rotating an image or annotating it results in the size of the image getting reset
  • An issue where Google drive links cannot be opened when the enable descriptive links is checked
  • Several workchat issues including one where a user is taken back to the "All Notes" view after a sync is performed
  • Several top crashes

Improved:

• Improved drag and drop support for lists, to-dos, and table rows and columns
  • Added incremental zoom control in the image gallery mode
  • Added support for hundreds of emojis using typebehind including :100: :joy: :raised_hands: :flag-us: :+1:
  • Improved the performance of note loading

54 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ej8899 said:

For anyone interested.. I've got a note with these emoji's.. feel free to copy it to your own notebooks.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AJBYsTxwXkBMkoC5tATFsqcZbFrw9htH2d4/

Thanks for the list.  Out of interest, in a quick test the icons I tried appear in black and white in the desktop version of EN.  Checked the web and they appear to be in color there in the test notes.  Even the emojis within the summary note are black and white in the desktop version though in color when viewed in the browser.  Is there a setting anywhere that controls how they appear in the desktop that you are aware of? 

Not much value in B/W emojis, to me anyway.  Color emojis in note titles would work better than the tag colors I use today for notes created based upon templates (things like phone calls).  Red phone for example.  Hopefully a setting of which I am unaware.

8 minutes ago, CalS said:

Thanks for the list.  Out of interest, in a quick test the icons I tried appear in black and white in the desktop version of EN.  Checked the web and they appear to be in color there in the test notes.  Even the emojis within the summary note are black and white in the desktop version though in color when viewed in the browser.  Is there a setting anywhere that controls how they appear in the desktop that you are aware of? 

Not much value in B/W emojis, to me anyway.  Color emojis in note titles would work better than the tag colors I use today for notes created based upon templates (things like phone calls).  Red phone for example.  Hopefully a setting of which I am unaware.

I get everything I try in color which is quite odd if you're not.   

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, ej8899 said:

I get everything I try in color which is quite odd if you're not.   

Yeah, I googled and am running a system file check based upon some of the results, system file corruption or some such possibility.  I am running Win10 Pro if that is different from you?

6.11.1 bug report.

Can't capture screens when the options dialog is open. 

It isn't just limited to an Evernote screen, but if that Evernote options dialog is open, and I switch to another application, I can't capture the screen there either.  I'm fairly certain it used to work as I've screen captured the options dialog previously. 

5abd7a0884e98_evernotebug-cantcapturescreen.thumb.png.ec7d628ec9e8b8e9d61ea8d454178a4f.png

• Level 5

The list of Fixed and Improved bullet points in the original post does not mention any improvement in viewing PDF files.

3 days ago Austin G. in support sent a message to my request #2428824 indicated the PDF lag would be solved. 

"We're currently aware of this issue and working on a fix that is scheduled to be included in the next release (version 6.11). Evernote for Windows Desktop version 6.11 is scheduled to be released within the next 1-2 weeks."

• Ex Employees
4 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

The list of Fixed and Improved bullet points in the original post does not mention any improvement in viewing PDF files.

3 days ago Austin G. in support sent a message to my request #2428824 indicated the PDF lag would be solved. 

"We're currently aware of this issue and working on a fix that is scheduled to be included in the next release (version 6.11). Evernote for Windows Desktop version 6.11 is scheduled to be released within the next 1-2 weeks."

Hi John. Yes. I assumed you were reporting the same lag that others were seeing when opening notes, which you should no longer see. This change is called out under the "Improved" section:

• Improved the performance of note loading

This applies to all notes and includes notes that contain PDFs, so we did not list a fix that specifically calls out PDF loading performance.

Others have mentioned that they're not seeing the same lag: 

7 hours ago, CalS said:

he note lag is much faster than 6.10, but not the same as before the lag was introduced with 6.10.

Have you tried updating to see if the issue is still occurring? 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Austin G said:

Yes, see post above with the videos.  The lag is greatly reduced but now there is a blink in the note window, goes quickly black in mine.  Still more lag than pre 6.10. So on a scale of 1 to 10, give a 1 to pre 6.10, give 6.10 a 10 and give 6.11 a 2 (based upon the black splash).  Totally unscientific, but my impression.

• Ex Employees
34 minutes ago, CalS said:

Yes, see post above with the videos.  The lag is greatly reduced but now there is a blink in the note window, goes quickly black in mine.  Still more lag than pre 6.10. So on a scale of 1 to 10, give a 1 to pre 6.10, give 6.10 a 10 and give 6.11 a 2 (based upon the black splash).  Totally unscientific, but my impression.

Sorry Cal, I was addressing jbenson2. I wanted to highlight your report of improved note loading performance from 6.10 to 6.11.

I did watch your videos and do see the differences between 6.11 and 6.7.5. The blinking is a symptom of a deeper note reload we now trigger when switching notes. This was recently implemented as part of a bug fix.  We're still tweaking the implementation for improvements, but I do not expect it to go back to the pre-6.8 behavior due to how we now reload the note panel. 

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Austin G said:

Sorry Cal, I was addressing jbenson2. I wanted to highlight your report of improved note loading performance from 6.10 to 6.11.

I did watch your videos and do see the differences between 6.11 and 6.7.5. The blinking is a symptom of a deeper note reload we now trigger when switching notes. This was recently implemented as part of a bug fix.  We're still tweaking the implementation for improvements, but I do not expect it to go back to the pre-6.8 behavior due to how we now reload the note panel. 

I watched @CalS' videos. That blinking black note panel is even more distracting/annoying than the longer note panel load time in 6.10. 

You mentioned Evernote is still tweaking the note loading - hopefully you will get rid of the black? As long as the panel is white (or whatever the panel's "normal" color is) while loading the note, it will be less distracting because there won't be that "flash" of color change that draws the eyes.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Austin G said:

Thank you for responding. I thought it was just a PDF lag.

No, I have not updated. Betas are too risky for me. I'm up to 49,800 notes (in 2 accounts) so I am very cautious.

I prefer to wait on the sidelines for a few weeks after a general release to see what the overall reaction is.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Austin G said:

No problem, my bad.  

Not sure I can fully agree with the results of the bug fix.  I hope at some point your engineers adopt a mantra of do no harm.  Unfair I suppose not knowing what the bug was, but note loading has been working just fine for me for the last eight years.  ;)

It’s a productivity app, they need to find a better way to do a deeper note reload.  

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, tavor said:

Thanks. I may have to move from 6.10 to 6.11b for this. My recent notes list is littered with empty notes with titles consisting of fragments of "intitle:" searches. It's been driving me nuts. Does anyone recall if this bug was introduced in 6.10 or 6.9?

You are welcome.  Introduced in 6.10 I think.  PDF viewing is a PITA in the 6.11 beta at the moment, just so’s ya know.  All else same as AFAIK.  

• Level 5*
On 3/29/2018 at 1:10 PM, CalS said:

Fix confirmed.

Starting search with intitle: or created: does not pause and create a note with the beginnings of the search value.  Thanks for that.  :D

I moved to 6.11b for this fix, but turns out it's not fixed as far as I can tell.

Setup: Win 7, EN 6.11b

Issue: Intitle: searches pause while typing and create new note with note title consisting of characters typed after the pause.

Are any EN employees here able to reproduce this?

Separately, I am seeing the issue where the reminder icon, if already on the note toolbar, is removed after upgrading.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, tavor said:

I moved to 6.11b for this fix, but turns out it's not fixed as far as I can tell.

Setup: Win 7, EN 6.11b

Issue: Intitle: searches pause while typing and create new note with note title consisting of characters typed after the pause.

Separately, I am seeing the issue where the reminder icon, if already on the note toolbar, is removed after upgrading.

Sorry to hear that.  I had the same error in 6.10, but intitle and create searches are working fine for me in 6.11b.  Win10 Pro, though I don't know what difference that would make.

• Ex Employees
7 hours ago, tavor said:

We are looking into this, but I have not been able to reproduce the issue myself The other user I'm working with confirmed that the issue occurs far less frequently on 6.11, but they were still able to make it happen after 5-7 successful searches in a row. Did you notice any decrease in the frequency of this issue after updating? 

• Under this build saving attachments no longer overwrites (or prompts to overwrite) files with an existing name
  • Stack names are no longer displayed in the search toolbar - just an icon representing a stack

c.png

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Austin G said:

We are looking into this, but I have not been able to reproduce the issue myself The other user I'm working with confirmed that the issue occurs far less frequently on 6.11, but they were still able to make it happen after 5-7 successful searches in a row. Did you notice any decrease in the frequency of this issue after updating? 

No, I haven't noticed any decrease in frequency of the issue, but I've only been using 6.11b for one day.

If I perform a regular search, the cursor stays in the search box throughout the search and is there after the search. When I perform an intitle: search, the focus/cursor moves away from the search box after several characters are typed in. This is the root issue and the new notes being created with titles consisting of fragments of my search term(s) is downstream of that.

My version is 6.11.2.7027 (307027) and the lagging in the display of a selected note is still there (up to 3 seconds)

Some notes respond fast, others lag too long. It's not the size of the note that matters, since some small text notes can also lag...

Did a quick browse and not seeing this issue reported. Installed 6.11.2.7027 (307027) on two machines and had the same issue on both. (I've rolled the one I use the most back to 6.10.3.6921 due to this.) Escape no longer removes focus from the Note pane back to the Note List pane (which allows updates to sync). Very annoying to me.

Hi Evernote people -  Could you post the file size of updates when you announce them? My home desktop runs on a throttled satellite connection, and I have to download large files (more than about 25 MB) in the middle of the night. Thanks!

• Level 5*
On 4/12/2018 at 9:39 AM, bcook75 said:

Did a quick browse and not seeing this issue reported. Installed 6.11.2.7027 (307027) on two machines and had the same issue on both. (I've rolled the one I use the most back to 6.10.3.6921 due to this.) Escape no longer removes focus from the Note pane back to the Note List pane (which allows updates to sync). Very annoying to me.

I thought that (escape does NOT move focus from note pane to note list) was the case for a long time. Did 6.10 introduce this, or was it an earlier version? 

For quite some time I've been using F2 to go from note pane to note title and then SHIFT+TAB to go from note title to note list. One keystroke to jump from note pane to note list would be handy.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, WTP said:

Hi Evernote people -  Could you post the file size of updates when you announce them? My home desktop runs on a throttled satellite connection, and I have to download large files (more than about 25 MB) in the middle of the night. Thanks!

I would say it can be guaranteed that the update will be greater than 100MB.  The approximate file size went from 102MB to 130MB last October and has been there for each release since.

36 minutes ago, CalS said:

I would say it can be guaranteed that the update will be greater than 100MB.  The approximate file size went from 102MB to 130MB last October and has been there for each release since.

Thanks - looks like a job for task manager...  Just need to set it up.

• Level 5*

Moved this from the 6.10 thread to get it in the right place.

PDF rendering in the note panel is FUBAR.  A few display as you would expect, but the majority just have a line, no matter the view.  Ugh.

• Level 5*

I've experiencing some data loss in this version when I copy+paste.

After revisiting newly created notes with pasted text, some are empty.

I am also still annoyed that selecting a word by double tapping it on a touch screen is still recognized as a right click.

Various Bugs - as posted in the 6.10 GA thread, but pertaining to 6.11.1 beta:

1) inline PDF viewing in notes is broken unless you open the note in a new window (new bug in this release)

2) ordered lists are broken if you remove a list item the list doesn't 'renumber' - it starts numbering over again (new bug in this release)

3) note toolbar still gets reset  (still exists from previous versions)

4) invisible tags persist (still exists from previous versions)

5) instant sync of notes in the options is removed (at least I think there was something there for it) - is this a  change in core function of Evernote?

testing continues today.. crossing my fingers no additional problems show!

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, jefito said:

Bug (feature???): Ctrl+click on the Sync toolbar button clears the note list.

* Start with viewing all notes.

* Ctrl+click on the Sync toolbar button.

Result:

What does CTRL-CLICK do vs CLICK? (besides clear the note list?)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Bug (feature???): Ctrl+click on the Sync toolbar button clears the note list.

* Start with viewing all notes.

* Ctrl+click on the Sync toolbar button.

Result:

image.png.432f3df95276933f2dd2794d550ecdf6.png

In the past Ctrl-Click the sync button was used to identify notes that weren't syncing if a red exclamation was on the sync icon.

• Ex Employees
7 minutes ago, CalS said:

In the past Ctrl-Click the sync button was used to identify notes that weren't syncing if a red exclamation was on the sync icon.

That's correct. A clear note list after selecting the CTRL+ sync is a good thing. :)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

What does CTRL-CLICK do vs CLICK? (besides clear the note list?)

Clicking on the Sync toolbar button... causes a Sync operation...

Ctrl-clicking on the Sync toolbar button does not do a sync operation, but surprisingly -- hence the report here -- clears the note list.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jefito said:

Clicking on the Sync toolbar button... causes a Sync operation...

Ctrl-clicking on the Sync toolbar button does not do a sync operation, but surprisingly -- hence the report here -- clears the note list.

Just says you didn't have any notes with sync issues, grasshopper.  ;)

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Austin G said:

That's correct. A clear note list after selecting the CTRL+ sync is a good thing. :)

Ah, OK, I guess. Still a bit of a user *Surprise!!* for that result. Ctrl+click on a toolbar button would usually be a 'secret option", unless shown it the hover tooltip (which it isn't).  

I think that in the case of all notes being fine, a pop-up indicating that fact would be more appropriate, or some textual indication of the result, rather than, "hey my notes just disappeared, even though the search info says something like "Viewing 8000 notes in [All Notrebooks]. Or specifically in the case where the Ctrl+click happens when the Sync button isn't indicating any sync problems: just do nothing.

But thanks, @Austin G, @CalS, and @EdH.

• Level 5*

Moved this from the 6.10 thread to get it in the right place.

The note lag is much faster than 6.10, but not the same as before the lag was introduced with 6.10.  With 6.11 beta 1, though it is definitely quicker, there is a black blink in the note panel when switching notes.  With the version prior to 6.10 there wasn't a blink. 

The reason I noticed this is due to how I record workout notes.  The first line of my high rep workouts is "All 5x20" (no parentheses).  Pre 6.10 I could arrow down in the note list and there was no perceptible change in the first line of the note as I switched notes, no blinking at all.  I just verified this with 6.7 on my backup laptop.

So the lag in this beta is much improved, but not as good as it once was.  No snark here, just the facts as I see them.  Screen videos included.  This black blink may actually be more annoying than actual lag.  :unsure:

6.11 Beta.mp4

6.7.5.mp4

EDIT:  If the black blink was a default note background blink it would be less noticeable, though no blink would be best.

• Level 5*

OK -- here's a different issue, just a UI glitch: 

When resizing a vertical note list (Snippet, Card, Thumbnail, Side) to a wider extent, the new size indicator disappears under the note editor in the note panel, and also under some of the other elements in the top panel, like the notebook and tag labels.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, jefito said:

Ah, OK, I guess. Still a bit of a user *Surprise!!* for that result. Ctrl+click on a toolbar button would usually be a 'secret option", unless shown it the hover tooltip (which it isn't).  

You are welcome - and perhaps it would be better placed under Ctrl-Help.  :D

• Ex Employees
3 hours ago, jefito said:

I'm guessing it's supposed to work like the Markdownish / table creation stuff, type in ":joy" and then a space, and the emoji should appear. But I'm not seeing it...

Try ":joy:" (colons on both sides). 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, CalS said:

You are welcome= and perhaps it would be better placed under Ctrl-Help.  :D

Ha-ha -- another semi-hidden feature.

Don't get me wrong -- it's a nice feature, just hidden and a little opaque. Since syncing is a huge part of Evernote's raison d'etre, sync errors are kinda frightening, and the process of resolving them should be clear and obvious.

• Ex Employees
3 hours ago, ej8899 said:

Various Bugs - as posted in the 6.10 GA thread, but pertaining to 6.11.1 beta:

1) inline PDF viewing in notes is broken unless you open the note in a new window (new bug in this release)

2) ordered lists are broken if you remove a list item the list doesn't 'renumber' - it starts numbering over again (new bug in this release)

3) note toolbar still gets reset  (still exists from previous versions)

4) invisible tags persist (still exists from previous versions)

5) instant sync of notes in the options is removed (at least I think there was something there for it) - is this a  change in core function of Evernote?

testing continues today.. crossing my fingers no additional problems show!

Thanks for these reports. We're working on them.

For #5, you should see no change in functionality if Synchronization is set to "Automatically". Let us know if that's not the case. We will add this info to the next release notes. 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Austin G said:

For #5, you should see no change in functionality if Synchronization is set to "Automatically". Let us know if that's not the case. We will add this info to the next release notes. 

@Austin G

Thanks a whole bunch for this tidbit!!!!   ;)

You may want to mention it in the release notes since my sync interval didn't change to Automatic though I had instant sync set, if it was supposed to IAC. 

• Level 5*

Fix confirmed.

Starting search with intitle: or created: does not pause and create a note with the beginnings of the search value.  Thanks for that.  :D

• Level 5*

Just updated.  Arrgh!!  Where'd all my PDF attachments go!!  All my notes with attachments (of the dozen or so I looked at) are this:

5abd1dfed65fc_ScreenClip2.png.cbb0aac8adf6bf02aff1d140fffd081d.png

- and I can just imagine the next 60+ posts in the forums...   :blink:

Edit:  thanks @ej8899 for the separate window tip - that works for me for the moment...

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Added support for hundreds of emojis using typebehind including :100: :joy: :raised_hands: :flag-us: :+1:

How does this work?

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, CalS said:

How does this work?

I'm guessing it's supposed to work like the Markdownish / table creation stuff, type in ":joy" and then a space, and the emoji should appear. But I'm not seeing it...

• Level 5*

Positive improvements.  AFAICT

1. The note cursor stays visible when in the note window now, not sure about notes with PDFs since I can't do that at the moment.
  2. The occasional lag (for me anyway) when typing seems to have been fixed.
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

Fix confirmed.

Thanks. I may have to move from 6.10 to 6.11b for this. My recent notes list is littered with empty notes with titles consisting of fragments of "intitle:" searches. It's been driving me nuts. Does anyone recall if this bug was introduced in 6.10 or 6.9?

Archived