cannot add evernote add in for Outlook for Mac

As per this Microsoft post , it is impossible to add add-ins to Outlook for Mac if you are using IMAP accounts.  So I cannot install the Evernote add in. (I have Outlook for Mac latest version 16.11 Office 365 subscription). 

I can forward emails to Evernote using my Evernote email address, but sometimes the formatting is lost/distorted - on some emails from Outlook, not all.  The formatting issue may be related to tables embedded in the email.   The emails become almost useless because of the lost formatting in Evernote. I have raised this issue with Evernote support, but it was never resolved.

I was hoping the Evernote add in might make things work better, but of course, I cannot even install it.  So frustrating, as the same email works perfectly and keeps its formatting when forwarded from Gmail, but loses it when forwarded from Outlook.  So it is definitely some sort of Evernote-Outlook integration issue.

I seem to be up against a wall on this one.

• Level 5*

Hi.  About the only option I can suggest would be to forward the problem emails from Outlook to your Gmail account and clip from there.  (It should be possible to use automation too - an IFTTT script should be able to forward on any emails received in Gmail that are sent/ forwarded from your Outlook address.)  As a related option,  Gmail can import emails from IMAP accounts - you could either check all your emails in Gmail,  or maybe forward your emails-with-tables to another 'holding' account to be sucked into Gmail. 

Some of my colleagues around here are good with Mac scripting - they can maybe suggest some alternatives too...

• Like 1

I appreciate the suggestion.  I'll have to think on this.  Most of the problem emails seem to be invoices or receipts, so I'll have to think about how to create a rule to forward them to my Gmail account - probably ideally to a separate folder, then try setting up an IFTTT script as you suggest.  Kind of a skip and a jump.  A nuisance, but it could work.

In your opinion, do you think the problem formatting would be eradicated if I could install the Evernote add-in in Outlook?  I'm guessing this must be the case otherwise there would surely be other users complaining about this same problem.  My guess is that Mac users who signed up for Evernote before Microsoft removed the Store button (not so long ago) would have been able to install the Evernote add-in for Outlook, and that may explain why they never have this problem.  Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jana B said:

In your opinion, do you think the problem formatting would be eradicated if I could install the Evernote add-in in Outlook?

In my limited experience,  no way to tell I'm afraid;  there may be some other Outlook users in the forums - you may get someone else commenting here...

If you do come up with a work-around,  can you post details back here please?  I imagine there will be more users in your situation in the future.

Oh - and it may be worth contacting Support on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.  Maybe they can suggest an option.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 2:56 PM, Jana B said:

As per this Microsoft post , it is impossible to add add-ins to Outlook for Mac if you are using IMAP accounts.  So I cannot install the Evernote add in. (I have Outlook for Mac latest version 16.11 Office 365 subscription). 

If this were true, why do other add-ins work with Outlook for Mac? I use the Asana add-in with IMAP and it works perfectly. 

I recently downloaded and installed on my Mac the latest version of Outlook for Mac 16.18. Unfortunately, there are only limited add-ins which none are for Evernote. I use IMAP but many of the add-ins from the store work perfectly. One in particular, that seems to work great is the Asana add-in. Why there's an add-in for Asana and not Evernote is beyond me. In my mind, the Evernote add-in would work similar to the Asana add-in, so there really shouldn't be a reason that it isn't already in the Office Store except that Evernote has not prioritized this feature. Well, I think it's time to get this add-in in the store. It is available in the online version of Outlook and the Windows version of Outlook, just not the Mac version. Please let's make this a reality. 

• 4 years later...
  • Level 5*
On 2/5/2023 at 11:27 AM, CSD69 said:

This appears to also be true for IMAP accounts on Outlook Desktop app for Windows?

The "Get add-ins "button does not show up in the ribbon no matter what you do...

Any movement on this?

Hi.  It's 4 years later,  there are new versions of Evernote and Outlook,  and you're raising a Windows query in a Mac thread.  Things have moved on a bit...

I use Evernote Legacy on my Windows laptop,  which also has Outlook and the Email Clipper extension.  I also use a Win 11 desktop and Outlook 365,  where this (I think) is the relevant help page - How to use Evernote for Outlook – Evernote Help & Learning