My Evernote for Vaio Is Not Working

I have the latest version of Evernote for Vaio on Win 7. It had been working fine for a couple of years ever since I joined in until a couple of days ago, when a green refresh circle would appear whenever I tried to initiate a new action, and it woudn't go away. If I closed the app and got back in, the same thing happened. I uninstalled and reinstalled - no success. Please help.

• Level 5*

Hi.  IIRC Evernote for Vaio is/ was a bespoke package for that OS.  Not sure what updating / reinstalling would have done.  Normally I'd suggest using something like Revo Uninstaller (which reaches the parts other reinstallers don't get to) to completely nuke your current installation and do a clean reinstall... but I don't know what that will do to your set-up.  It shouldn't be a problem;  a Vaio will run normal Windows software,  and Evernote certainly qualifies as such;  but it's entirely your decision whether or not to try it.  If you do,  find and backup your Databases folder or copy it to a safe location before you start.  Again,  nothing should affect it - and you can rebuild synced notes from the server if necessary - but it's better to be safe...

The persistent refresh sounds like Evernote is having problems accessing its server:  have your online conditions changed recently?  New router / firewall / ISP / more local users / 'smart' TV's?  Check under the Help menu and take a look at your Activity Log to see if it's complaining about something.

• Level 5*

and to add to @gazumped the feature introduced on Evernote for Vaio, webcam notes, are available in Windows for Evernote, so there is really no reason not to uninstall and download the latest version from Evernote. 

I'd guess at some point EN stopped supporting the EN for Vaio and that is what you are seeing.

Thanks, guys, for responding quickly. My online conditions haven't changed one bit. Everything else on my computer works A-OK. As I mentioned in my previous post, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Vaio EN without losing data and somehow stumbled onto EN for Windows, remembering that option from before. I'm using it now, but it seems clunkier than the Vaio version, i.e., it often requires more clicks to perform certain functions. That's why I liked EN for Vaio better and wanted to get it back.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, biglarry5 said:

Thanks, guys, for responding quickly. My online conditions haven't changed one bit. Everything else on my computer works A-OK. As I mentioned in my previous post, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Vaio EN without losing data and somehow stumbled onto EN for Windows, remembering that option from before. I'm using it now, but it seems clunkier than the Vaio version, i.e., it often requires more clicks to perform certain functions. That's why I liked EN for Vaio better and wanted to get it back.

Evernote for Viao was released in 2010, and I'm not sure how long Evernote actively supported it after that. It could be it quit working because it no longer works with the Evernote service. Sony itself dropped the Vaio line in 2014 and I am sure whatever cross-licensing/promotion that was going on between Evernote and Sony at the time was discontinued then as well, if not a few years before.

So I suspect the only solution is to use the latest version of Evernote for Windows, and forget about the custom Vaio version. There have been a TON of updates to the Evernote service since then, including moving to Google cloud servers for the backend, two factor authentication, and possibly other under-the-hood changes like dropping TLS 1.0 and 1.1 in favor of 1.2, which is what most companies are doing now, including Microsoft and Google.

Cannot expect software designed in 2010 as a cloud service to continue working forever.

Archived