Logical keyword search

Manish Ballav

Idea

As of now, I know of two ways to search my notes if I have more than one keyword. For example: If I need notes that have the word "apples" OR the word "grapes", I would simply type "apples grapes" without quotes in the search box. If I need notes that have both the words "apples grapes" together inside, I would type in "apples grapes with QUOTES in the search box. BUT, I do not see the option of searching for notes with both the words inside the note not necessarily together. That is, I need to do the search with a logical AND. If Evernote provided a simple query language with logical connectors like AND, OR, NOT, etc., the search would become very powerful!

I have over 3000 notes and many times, I cannot find the note I am looking for because of this limitation.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

See this page. It isn't a full query language with the normal operators, etc, but with quote marks and the minus sign (the NOT operator), you can do some of what you show above

By default, every search is an AND search. Quotes force it to be literal, and the minus sign gives you NOT. I don't know of way to do an OR though.

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-24 at 12:19 AM, Manish Ballav said:

If I need notes that have the word "apples" OR the word "grapes"

Search     any:,apples,grapes5ab956ed72724_ScreenShot2018-03-26at13_22_56.png.249fc9171d9cb21795cf5e6b56cdac92.png

>>searching for notes with both the words inside the note not necessarily together.

Search     apples,grapes

Search      apples,-grapes     Returns notes that have apples, but excludes those also with grapes5ab957f0ee187_ScreenShot2018-03-26at13_27_46.png.89ffc49890bbe4fc2bb3b249fb0baf0d.png

Search documentation at       Evernote Search Grammar

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, EdH said:

I don't know of way to do an OR though.

DTLow to the rescue!

Making mixed AND/OR queries is not allowed, but wildcards can be used for certain situations, say if you have a system where related tags use common prefixes or something like that. E.g.the following is more or less a mixed AND/OR: notebook:A tag:todo-*

In notebook A AND is tagged with any tags beginning with "todo-". Pretty contrived, but could be useful to have in your Evernote swiss army knife...

Well, all suggestions considered, there is still no apples AND bananas search possible. That is, Evernote should return all notes that have in them both the words 'apples' and 'bananas' wherever in the note they are. This should not be a big fix at all and must be considered as this need arises frequently.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Manish Ballav said:

Well, all suggestions considered, there is still no apples AND bananas search possible. That is, Evernote should return all notes that have in them both the words 'apples' and 'bananas' wherever in the note they are. This should not be a big fix at all and must be considered as this need arises frequently.

I showed           searching for notes with both the words inside the note not necessarily together. 
                            Search    apples, grapes
you can also      Search    apples, bananas, pears, peach

AND is assumed by default.  You can change this to OR with the :any parameter

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Manish Ballav said:

Well, all suggestions considered, there is still no apples AND bananas search possible.

Yes, there is. A search of: apples bananas will return all notes containing both the terms "apples" and "bananas".

Archived