Notebook Sections

joshualore

Idea

I would be surprised if this hasn't been brought up and discussed before, but I would love if Evernote would add a notebook "sections" feature, much like OneNote, under which individual notes or pages can be created and kept.

I love OneNote for that reason -- it adds one more layer of organization that makes a huge difference when using the program for writing and research. But I would much rather use Evernote: the lack of this is the main reason I find myself having to jump back and forth without fully committing to either program. The Web Clipper is without question the best out there, which is great for keeping track of web pages; and the integration with Liner makes highlighting and organizing a pleasure. But without notebook sections, it really doesn't provide the organizational opportunities it easily could.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, joshualore said:

I would be surprised if this hasn't been brought up and discussed before, but I would love if Evernote would add a notebook "sections" feature, much like OneNote, under which individual notes or pages can be created and kept.

I think that it's more likely that the new Evernote Spaces feature will turn out to be close to what you're requesting; you should be able to have notebooks and individual notes all living together. It's currently available in the Business product, but it's expected to be added to the personal product eventually.

See:

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-23 at 10:51 AM, joshualore said:

add a notebook "sections" feature

If you're looking at Evernote for organizing your notes, you should be aware notes have two attributes (Notebooks and Tags)
It seems like you're asking for a single organization level, sub-notebook called Sections, with Notes assigned to a Section, Sections assigned to a Notebook.

Currently

• Stacks/Spaces
    • Spaces are used to indicate private/shared

• Notebooks
    • no hierarchy, but notebooks can be organized into Stacks/Spaces
    • notebooks are used to indicate sync/local, private/shared, offline

• Tags
    • unlimited hierarchy (Mac/Win/Web)
      Tag
           subTag
                     subTag
                                subTag
On 23.3.2018 at 6:51 PM, joshualore said:

I love OneNote for that reason -- it adds one more layer of organization that makes a huge difference when using the program for writing and research. But I would much rather use Evernote: the lack of this is the main reason I find myself having to jump back and forth without fully committing to either program. The Web Clipper is without question the best out there, which is great for keeping track of web pages; and the integration with Liner makes highlighting and organizing a pleasure. But without notebook sections, it really doesn't provide the organizational opportunities it easily could.

just use another Tag if you want to organize something. Unlimited. Flexible. Set the Tag as a Favorite (OneNote doesn‘t support favorites btw) and it‘s just one click/tap to reach that new area/section/group/subset/folder/level/paragraph... :-)

I appreciate the suggestions everyone. It's just a learning and adaptation curve I suppose, but I'm figuring out an effective way to utilize tags and stacks for the purpose, and it's working well. I appreciate the input and advice!

Archived