Client became slower and slower in last updates

See screencast http://recordit.co/irjaescyyN

Last update made things even worse, now it takes couple of seconds to display note content (starts that evernotesubprocess.exe) on changing notes in main window, making it completely annoying and unuseful. Looks like ugly workaround for hiding memory leaks...

At least in few previous updates those delays were on opening note in a new window only.

Missing those times when there were no delays at all anywhere...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, sky2k said:

Last update made things even worse, now it takes couple of seconds to display note content (starts that evernotesubprocess.exe) on changing notes in main window, making it completely annoying and unuseful.

See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112298-evernote-for-windows-610-ga/#comment-498419 and https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/wiki/GeneralUsage#markdown-header-processes for more info on the subprocesses

3 hours ago, sky2k said:

Looks like ugly workaround for hiding memory leaks...

It's not clear that this is the case.

3 hours ago, sky2k said:

Missing those times when there were no delays at all anywhere...

Sure, I think that we all are.

• Level 5*

If these note display lags are indeed due to this chromium platform, me wonders if this is the best platform for a productivity app.  Ditto the current PDF display tech. 

EDIT:  Apologies, couldn't help myself, added a screen clip from the EN sign in web page.  ;)

ScreenClip.png.af9d6ee3660e0626876b9b481f1b23a6.png

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, CalS said:

If these note display lags are indeed due to this chromium platform, me wonders if this is the best platform for a productivity app.  Ditto the current PDF display tech. 

I'm not saying whether any lag is due to the CEF subprocesses, because I don't know that for a fact. The stated reason they've moved to the CEF -- and it makes a certain amount of sense -- is because it's (theoretically) a common solution to rendering and editing notes across multiple OS platforms, replacing the old way, which had separate (and home-grown, I think) edit/display engines for each of the separate OS's, and which lead to a different class problems. It would be interesting to know whether this same lag occurs on the other OS's, or if this is a Windows-only phenomenon. If so, it may just be that there are better techniques for managing the subprocesses that perform better that Evernote hasn't discoverd / implemented.

As it is, I don't seem to experience much if any lag for my use case at work, which is mainly pretty simple notes, some with tables: weekly journals, problem notes, meeting notes, todo's, and relatively little binary content, the occasional screen shot, plus clipped web pages for research, etc. Any productivity lapses are probably more down to the ones in my own (aging) brain processes... :) 

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, jefito said:

I'm not saying whether any lag is due to the CEF subprocesses

Me either.  Just saying an app which intends to provide productivity should do it in all aspects of usage.  Things that slow the experience down should be closely monitored.  Sometimes that means custom is needed over off-the-shelf, with the attendant issues that multi platform will most likely bring.  One should err to developer impact not user impact, IMO.  If it becomes untenable to maintain, I get it, but that should be a tall hurdle and the baseline for the change should be no worse than the previous version.

The reason I bring it up is because productivity in physical usage of EN has degraded across the last year on Windows.  At least it has for me where I keep literally everything in EN, from tasks to paperless.  Search and the like are still great.  IOS speed has improved in the last year in my experience, kudos to that group.  But I spend most of my editing/working in Windows.  And speaking of that, for all the work, editing/rendering in some areas may be worse than it was a year ago.  :(

• Level 5

I've seen a noticeable slowdown in just viewing my 1-page PDFs.  Searches are fine, but viewing the PDF's are a problem.

Scenario #1.) I can't open the second window until I wait a couple seconds for the PDF to first appear.

Then I need to wait a couple more seconds for the PDF to appear in the 2nd window.

Scenario #2.) And it is more frustrating when clicking through the titles in the Note List panel of a search. Click and wait, click and wait, click and wait.

I've gone through normal support. They suggested reinstalling. Done that but no joy, so I requested assistance from a higher up tech.

"I'm transferring this ticket to our technical support team who will continue to assist you. Please know that they are working on your case and will reply after they've had the opportunity to review the information you've provided."

On 3/23/2018 at 7:04 PM, jefito said:

Thanks for explanation.

Just a note that screencast I took was using standalone app. Recently found that Win10 store app (same version ATM) works a bit faster, time decreased from ~3s to ~1s, but still annoying.

The latest version is lagging in showing the content of notes, even pdfs, when I asked their CSR to help solve this problem, they came up with a generic response which didn't help remedy the problem. I don't understand what large companies are doing these days? Evernote could so easily be having features like recurring reminders, location based reminders, excel table like sorting and formulas (may its too much to ask), first two features are a must and easily implementable. Maybe they should outsource their development to our company NewSoftwares.net we're so much better in listening to customers. Anyways here's the generic response I got:

Greetings! 

This is Mark D, Evernote Expert and member of the community of Evernote users. 
I am happy to assist in resolving your concern. 
Sorry for the inconvenience. Here are a few basic troubleshooting techniques to start with (and please let me know which you have already tried): 

1) Sign out of Evernote. Sign back in. Retry using Evernote. 

2) If that doesn't work sign out of Evernote again, then uninstall and reinstall Evernote, then log in with the same account login credentials. Now, retry using Evernote. 

You may read few helpful guide here regarding item #2 through the link below: 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208... 

3) Finally, reboot your computer, and restart Evernote. Afterward, retry using Evernote. 

- Always back up notes. 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209... 

Let me know how it went. If this still persists, let me know. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thank you! 

Regards, 
Mark D. 
Evernote Expert

Notes used to load faster i.e. clicking a note would immediately display it's content on the right side. Now it takes 1 or 2 seconds for the note content to appear in the right side regardless the size of the note. This is what the new version brought. I removed the new version and installed the old version back. Please fix it, it can spoil Evernote users.

It's so frustrating!  The forums for years complained about the gradual slowdown in the Windows version of EN.  Finally (was it v6, perhaps?), the app became usable again yet now, when I thought the developers had a handle at least on this aspect, all those gains feel like they have been lost.

Sorry, I've been trying to work productively today and these temporary freezes are getting to me...

Archived