2 *MUST HAVE* features: Multi-select text and Format Painter

Steve Escott

Idea

Hi,

While Evernote is great and I can't live without it, I find that missing these two features negatively impacts my Evernote experience:

1) Ability to multi-select non-consecutive note content by hitting ctrl+select, etc..., as one can do in Word and most other windows apps

2) Some form of format copy, or format painter. Without this, it is painstakingly hard to format notes after a class for better organization.

I have gotten over this shortcoming by pasting into word, reformatting there, and pasting back into Evernote, but one should not have to do this.

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Seems like these features aren't a major 'must have' for most users - or at least whatever consensus Evernote consults to choose its next major feature hasn't prioritised these up to now;  and they have been requested in the Forums.  There's more than one voting thread around here for the format painter at least - including

You might attract more attention for multi-select by changing this request to be just that so folks can vote on it,  and adding your own vote to one of the earlier 'painter' ones...

As you will know by now,  new features are entirely at Evernote's discretion and on their terms so all we can do is express a view and wait to see what happens...  :mellow:

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Steve Escott said:

as one can do in Word and most other windows apps

One of the Evernote features is that you can use any editor and add the document as a note attachment.
I use the Evernote editor for basic notes, and switch to a word processing editor when I need extended features.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Steve Escott said:

1) Ability to multi-select non-consecutive note content by hitting ctrl+select, etc..., as one can do in Word and most other windows apps

2) Some form of format copy, or format painter. Without this, it is painstakingly hard to format notes after a class for better organization.

Those are all fine, but I'd settle for standard (and potentially user-defined) formatting styles.

Across all Evernote clients, of course.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, jefito said:

Those are all fine, but I'd settle for standard (and potentially user-defined) formatting styles.

Across all Evernote clients, of course.

I think the user defined is important. Not just the font size, but the line/paragraph spacing too. I know that is getting to be like a word processor, but to me those features are very basic so should be included.

On 3/23/2018 at 6:36 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Seems like these features aren't a major 'must have' for most users - or at least whatever consensus Evernote consults to choose its next major feature hasn't prioritised these up to now;  and they have been requested in the Forums.  There's more than one voting thread around here for the format painter at least - including

You might attract more attention for multi-select by changing this request to be just that so folks can vote on it,  and adding your own vote to one of the earlier 'painter' ones...

As you will know by now,  new features are entirely at Evernote's discretion and on their terms so all we can do is express a view and wait to see what happens...  :mellow:

Thanks for your advice!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, MikeTurd said:

I just subscribed to EN and this is one thing I wanted. 

So you bought into an app that doesn't provide the one service you require? And you're blaming the developers for being lazy?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, MikeTurd said:

This is a "must have."  Only thing I can think of is lazy programmers. 

I don't know anything about lazy programmers but I suspect they do the work that's assigned to them.

I also don't know the development priorities at Evernote; you're welcome to indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

• Level 5*
On 9/28/2018 at 3:35 PM, gazumped said:

So you bought into an app that doesn't provide the one service you require? And you're blaming the developers for being lazy?

Dunno about you, but I spend all day in Visual Studio just multi-selecting some stuff, then deselecting it, and multi-selecting some more stuff over and over, maybe in multiple files even, on a productive day. I'm pretty fast at is, and I can do it in C, C++, Java, Python and most any other language you can name, even FORTRAN. Yeah, I'm old school. Sometimes I do write code, but I know it's just gonna wind up with bugs and tears, and who wants that?

Multi-select text within a note is something I hope happens. Also, quicker ability to format or highlight text in colors, especially on mobile.   I agree that one shouldn't have to go outside of Evernote and bring a note back in for these things. I start many notes outside of Evernote, but many notes aren't in a final state and iterating on them with simple features like these allows a person to stay in one train of thought better.

Archived