(Archived) Evernote Not Working - Google Access To Personal Data???

Why is Evernote not working when we do not allow javascript for Google sites? (who are KNOWN to violate privacy by collating personal information!)

Does this mean that Evernote sanctions Google to index and collect all our information we store on this site?? :shock:

I'm not sure what you mean. When you say "Evernote not working", which version of Evernote, on which operating system (and browser?), etc.

We don't send any of your data to Google or to anyone else. A few of the pages on our web sites have a little Javascript widget for "Google Analytics" that lets us count the number of times that page was viewed on the web from different geographic regions. (http://www.google.com/analytics/)

But Google absolutely doesn't have access to your data, and Evernote itself shouldn't stop working.

I'm not sure what you mean. When you say "Evernote not working", which version of Evernote, on which operating system (and browser?), etc.

I refer to your website (browser operation), as I have just signed up.

We don't send any of your data to Google or to anyone else. A few of the pages on our web sites have a little Javascript widget for "Google Analytics" that lets us count the number of times that page was viewed on the web from different geographic regions. (http://www.google.com/analytics/)

But Google absolutely doesn't have access to your data, and Evernote itself shouldn't stop working.

Precisely - why should we allow Google access to our navigation once we have logged in?

I fail to understand this.

The fact that you allow Google access to Javascripting when we are actioning/administrating our private area is not acceptable.

We use Google Analytics to determine the number and origin of people viewing different web pages on our site. Some of those pages don't require a login (like our home page) and others are shown after you log in. None of these send any of your data to Google.

What part of our web interface fails to work when you disable URLs from Google? I.e. can you view and browse your notes?

That page uses a very common Javascript library from Google Code called JSAPI:

http://code.google.com/apis/ajax/documentation/

We tell your browser to download this Javascript via a standard URL at Google (https://www.google.com/jsapi) rather than serving that from evernote.com. This makes it more likely that you will already have a copy of the library in your browser from one of the other sites that uses this, so the page will load more quickly.

This is, however, just your own browser retrieving some Javascript code from Google. This doesn't send any data about your account to Google.

That page uses a very common Javascript library from Google Code called JSAPI:

http://code.google.com/apis/ajax/documentation/

We tell your browser to download this Javascript via a standard URL at Google (https://www.google.com/jsapi) rather than serving that from evernote.com. This makes it more likely that you will already have a copy of the library in your browser from one of the other sites that uses this, so the page will load more quickly.

This is, however, just your own browser retrieving some Javascript code from Google. This doesn't send any data about your account to Google.

Well, I am blocking it, period.

Advise how to proceed without allowing this Google code! (Which you are actively sanctioning on your site)

If part of Evernote's web service is distributed from Google's content distribution network, and you block your browser from retrieving that part, then Evernote's web site may not work correctly.

You can feel free to use our desktop or mobile clients, however. These don't use Javascript.

If part of Evernote's web service is distributed from Google's content distribution network, and you block your browser from retrieving that part, then Evernote's web site may not work correctly.

You can feel free to use our desktop or mobile clients, however. These don't use Javascript.

I would suggest you change this policy, in order to secure the privacy of your customers.

That is, *if* indeed you seriously and truly wish to block Google from accessing personal information of customers!

Thanks for the suggestion. So far, you're the first of our 3.7 million users to ever mention this, so it's news to me that someone would block their browser from retrieving standard static web resources from Google. But thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the suggestion. So far, you're the first of our 3.7 million users to ever mention this, so it's news to me that someone would block their browser from retrieving standard static web resources from Google. But thanks for the feedback.

Well, not all of them would bother to waste their time voicing an opinion here, especially with the registration requirement.

I was only trying to sample your product - and have to block certain entities that only are regulated by their own internal policies, as per my own security requirements.

PS: Google is not the all-encompassing Being that requires a default acceptance of same! :)

• Level 5
SuperFlyBoy comments:

Google... who are KNOWN to violate privacy by collating personal information!

Does this mean that Evernote sanctions Google to index and collect all our information we store on this site??

Why should we allow Google access to our navigation once we have logged in?

I fail to understand this.

The fact that you allow Google access to Javascripting when we are actioning/administrating our private area is not acceptable.

Well, I am blocking it, period.

you are actively sanctioning [Google] on your site

I would suggest you change this policy, in order to secure the privacy of your customers.

That is, *if* indeed you seriously and truly wish to block Google from accessing personal information of customers!

I was only trying to sample your product - and have to block certain entities that only are regulated by their own internal policies, as per my own security requirements.

Google is not the all-encompassing Being that requires a default acceptance of same!

Whew!

Actually some of the Evenote users use the forum and do not consider it a waste of time.

My opinion: It is obvious that you have no desire to use Evernote; just the forum as a pulpit to express your personal frustrations with Google. Now that you have "sampled" Evernote, and side-stepped all the positive suggestions, it is time to move on to a new forum. Perhaps a pen and paper snail-mail system would be the safest method for your security requirements. That will avoid the nasty Big Brother Google (for a while).

Archived