security upgrade needed NOW!

dsj123

Idea

I rely on Evernote heavily; ALL my passwords are stored in one note, for example.

There's currently no option to log out on quit, meaning that when I fire up Evernote, dollars to doughnuts it launches and displays the page showing the passwords. 

Since I have several Macs, including a laptop and 3 desktops with several backup drives, I'm worried. Should I have a break-in, on booting the volumes the burglar may have complete access to my digital life unless I've taken pains to ALWAYS log out of Evernote before quitting it.

Evernote staff noted that this is on purpose so that data is available when not connected to the internet, and suggested I bring it to the forum. I very much would like at least the option to log out automatically.

Thoughts?

David in Minnesota

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You might think about adding security to your devices.
A password to start up the device.  A timeout password.

Of course Evernote has a login password, but as you noted logging out means you can't log back in without an internet connection

btw  If I was storing passwords in Evernote, I would use encryption.

• Level 5*

Evernote is not, nor does it claim to be, a security app. They take great pains to secure your data on their servers, but securing your machine is your responsibility. Your hard drive should be encrypted and your user profile should be behind a secure login. Most of Evernote's content is in pretty much plain text on your computer's hard drive, so even if you log off of Evernote and uninstall it, someone could still read much of your content by looking at the database files.

You should be using a product like LastPass for passwords.

• Level 5*
On 3/21/2018 at 6:14 PM, dsj123 said:

I rely on Evernote heavily; ALL my passwords are stored in one note, for example.

Sorry to be blunt, but that is very dangerous and risky.  Evernote never has been, nor is likely to be, a highly secure tool.

I highly recommend 1Password for top security and ease of use.  I can sync securely to all of your devices, works very well with web sites, local apps, and more.  And it is very inexpensive.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry to be blunt, but that is very dangerous and risky.  Evernote never has been, nor is likely to be, a highly secure tool.

I highly recommend 1Password for top security and ease of use.  I can sync securely to all of your devices, works very well with web sites, local apps, and more.  And it is very inexpensive.

He's right.

Wow! I've never seen four EN Guru's all reply and when they are all unanimous,  That sound scream, "you're doing it wrong." I do keep some logins saved, but they are not banking or anything, and they have all of the login information encrypted. How does EN's encryption quality compare to the other recommended services? 

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

How does EN's encryption quality compare to the other recommended services? 

Evernote's current encryption quality is high; AES with a 128 bit key
More information at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314128-What-type-of-encryption-does-Evernote-use-

However its a very limited feature - only selected text within a note (Mac/Win).
My needs are more extensive so I use externally encrypted attachments.

Archived