Any way to use install Evernote once on a windows computer so two different computer user accounts access the same database

Hello forum members;

First of all I searched for an answer to this before posting and found nothing that fits exactly.  My situation is this: I have one computer running Windows10 Education, and two user accounts, an Admin account and a standard user account for security, 95% of my work is done on the standard user account.  I'm a college student and I use Evernote (Premium) for everything.  The other 5 % done of my work is done on the Admin account and I need to access Evernote from that account also.  Short of downloading a second copy of Evernote, is there a way to install the program once so both user accounts have access to the program from the start menu, and the same database is loaded in each instance.  I do not use fast user switching, I use ctrl=alt+del to sign out so the database will not have simultaneous access attempts.   

Any ideas or help would be deeply appreciated.

Respectfully,

Robert Williamson

• Level 5*

I'm not a windows user but I understand you have the option to relocate the database.  Possibly use this to direct both accounts to the same location.

Resetting the first account is easy - you can do it in the Options dialog. When you do this with the 2nd instance, it will have an issue because the database is already there - for that, you'll need to directly edit the registry and change the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote6\EvernotePath setting (before running EN).

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not a windows user but I understand you have the option to relocate the database.  Possibly use this to direct both accounts to the same location.

The option is at Tools / Options / General / [Evernote local files] / Change...

I don't think that this will help here, though. This is used to safely move the Evernote database to a new location, rather than pointing Evernote to an existing database.

• Level 5*

If I understood the question correctly,  it's more about how you install Evernote in Windows.  If you use the Admin account to install the app,  it should be available to every user on that device.  If you used the standard user account,  it may only be available to that user and would not start up from the Admin profile.  All of which is a Windows question,  not an Evernote issue.  The same is true of most apps.

If you hit the Windows key from the Admin profile and type "Evernote",  and get 'no results found' you may need to reinstall the app.  If you do get an Evernote icon,  just click on it to start the app,  and log in as you normally would.

If you need to install another copy,  @dconnet just did the rest...!  ;)

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, dconnet said:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote6\EvernotePath

Hmm, no 'Evernote6' or 'EvernotePath' entry in my registry. Evidently Evernote works via PFM on my computer... :) 

11 hours ago, oldcollegeguy said:

I do not use fast user switching, I use ctrl=alt+del to sign out so the database will not have simultaneous access attempts.   

If it were me, I'd still probably use two separate installations/databases, just in case I forgot and did a fast switch. Of course, another alternative would be just to use the Evernote web application for your Admin case, which is fine for light usage, though not as fully features as the native Evernote app.

Sorry - regedit was opening to the last path... Evernote6 is where it goes for our internal builds (to keep it separate from production).
`HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote\EvernotePath` is the correct path

Thank you all for the responses. Gazumped I agree with you that EN should have been available to all users, but it is not.  I did install it from the standard user account but had to provide the Admin password to do so.  When I signed into the Admin account the EN folder was there with a dead shortcut to the EN executable.  I thought it would be more like Microsoft Office, available to all users but it does not appear to be so and I haven't had time to research it yet.

So my chosen solution is: 1 Install EN in the Admin account.  2. Sign into my regular EN premium account and download/sync all notes.  3.While still in the Admin account, move the EN database to a second drive in the same computer.  4.Log out of the Admin account.  5. Log into the Standard user account, this is the EN DB that has all of the working documents in it.  6.Used EN to move the standard user account DB to the same location as the Admin DB and allowed the standard DB to overwrite the Admin account DB.  I have logged on to both accounts and briefly used EN and so far it seems as though both accounts will share the DB without issues.

I plan on doing more research and will post anything I learn here.  Thank you one and all for the help and please post here ( if you like) if you learn anything else.

Respectfully,

Robert Williamson

• 2 years later...

I just bumped into the same problem, here is how I solved it using a somewhat simpler procedure, that does not involve moving the database around :

1/ log in my Standard User account, uninstall EN

2/ log in my Admin account, install EN, sync the database

3/ locate the executable (for me it was in "\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe")

4/ create a shortcut to the executable, place the shortcut in the Public Desktop folder, which will make it accessible from any user's desktop

5/ enable the shortcut to "run as administrator" (tick the box in shortcut advanced properties) 

6/ log in my Standard User account, click on this new shortcut : Voilà ! 

Hope this helps.

PS : this was inspired from the following post:

https://superuser.com/questions/855360/how-to-install-program-to-all-user-accounts-in-windows