Can't open notes via widget [Android 8.0]

Hello!

Have an issue - can't open any notes via the widget on my Samsung S8 after updating Android to 8.0. Rest of widget functions (widget scrolling, new note button, etc.) are working fine. On the previous android version, everything was working properly. Help to solve this, please.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue.  Evernote worked perfectly until I upgraded to a new phone with Android 8.0.  No can see all the notes but cannot open, wheel just spins.  I also have trouble creating new notes from the phone.

On 20/03/2018 at 7:07 PM, Vladimir14 said:

Hello!

Have an issue - can't open any notes via the widget on my Samsung S8 after updating Android to 8.0. Rest of widget functions (widget scrolling, new note button, etc.) are working fine. On the previous android version, everything was working properly. Help to solve this, please.

Hi, I own the Galaxy S8 and have been experiencing this issue too. Have used only Oreo so I cannot comment if it's an Android version issue. 

I've locked Evernote in the Recent Apps Screen to prevent it from getting cleared from the RAM during a manual trigger. Yet, usually after a manual RAM cleanup, the widget only supports scrolling and button clicks. Opening notes does not work. I think it's related to RAM management.

One needs to open the EN app and close it back to be able to fully use the widget again.

I'll try putting the app to the 'Unmonitored Apps' list in the 'Device Maintenance' module in settings and check... though this is not an ideal solution.

The issue needs to be addressed since its not normal for EN. It will be good to hear from non-Samsung users, especially the Oreo users. 

I tried adding EN to the list of 'Unmonitored Apps' under Device Maintenance and it didn't help. Rather, disabling Battery Optimization for EN seems to help prevent this issue. 

Settings > Device Maintenance > Battery > Battery Usage > Menu > Optimize Battery Usage > Menu > All Apps > uncheck EN. 

Screenshot_20180408-143528_Settings.thumb.jpg.87f97ef6c0993342abf494c4d0d127b0.jpg

The other discussion: 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, parsh said:

I tried adding EN to the list of 'Unmonitored Apps' under Device Maintenance and it didn't help. Rather, disabling Battery Optimization for EN seems to help prevent this issue. 

Settings > Device Maintenance > Battery > Battery Usage > Menu > Optimize Battery Usage > Menu > All Apps > uncheck EN. 

Screenshot_20180408-143528_Settings.thumb.jpg.87f97ef6c0993342abf494c4d0d127b0.jpg

The other discussion: 

Thanks Parsh. This is what resolved my widget issue after my Samsung Note 8 upgraded to Oreo. Simply adding Evernote and its widget to the list of unmonitored power apps did nothing to help. Much appreciated! 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi, 

I'm bringing this up because I have a similar issue with the new note 10. I can't open single notes from the widget if it shows saved searches or notebooks ; I can open individual notes from the reminder view. The only way to open individual notes from notebook /saved search view is to close evernote with the back button. it won't work if I open evernote and press the home button. I have tried the battery optimization and device management settings, but nothing seems to work. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Alex

• Level 5

@Lexbrkly, using your detailed report, I just tested on my phone, and I'm not having the problem. It's evidently not universal, but may be related to specific circumstances on specific devices. Since you're on a Premium subscription, it might be good to contact technical support. Let us know here if you they're able to be helpful; it might help others out. Support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new. If you have problems there, take a look at https://discussion.evernote.com/announcement/72-issues-accessing-evernote-support-channels/.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:22 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@Lexbrkly, using your detailed report, I just tested on my phone, and I'm not having the problem. It's evidently not universal, but may be related to specific circumstances on specific devices. Since you're on a Premium subscription, it might be good to contact technical support. Let us know here if you they're able to be helpful; it might help others out. Support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new. If you have problems there, take a look at https://discussion.evernote.com/announcement/72-issues-accessing-evernote-support-channels/.

Thanks, I'll try to find a solution and will post the results! 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

as promised, I'll share the result of my request (I asked support, they were ok with me quoting them - I shorted it a bit)

" Thank you for sending [a video of the problem], it worked and I was able to identify the widget you were mentioning.

I consulted my Android development team about this issue and it seems that we are aware and investigating.

For the sake of all transparency, it could take some time before we get to fix this issue. To elaborate, since last year, we've been busy working on revamping major components of the app, including the syncing mechanism, our backend infrastructure, our note editor to only name a few - both on desktop and mobile devices. This work has been the highest priority company-wide and has been affecting the priority of other issues.

I know it's been a long time since we haven't came out with new functionalities, and I want to thank you for your support, and sticking with Evernote. We are very excited to share very soon what we've been dedicating our efforts to for the last year. If you'd like to know more about what we're up to, I invite you to read the latest blog post of our CEO Ian Small — 2020 Update: Our Progress and the Road Ahead.

We also published Behind The Scenes videos to show you what in more details some of our work in-house — I recommend watching the video about our work on the redesign of the mobile app. This will also apply to the note editor in Evernote for iPhone and Android.

[...] I made sure to forward all the helpful information you've included in this ticket to the engineering team.

[...]

Looks like we'll just have to wait.

Cheers

Alex

P.S: Saved searches etc. as a link on the homescreen were provided as a workaround.

• Thanks 1