Evernote for iOS 8.10 Released

annah

Idea

• Ex Employees

Hi all, we just released Evernote 8.10 to the App Store! Download link here

Release Notes: 

New

• Now you can see the word count and size of your note by tapping the (i) at the top right of your note. Writers rejoice!
  • Lots of updates to the 'Manage Tags' (Account > Settings) section! It now includes total tag count, number of notes associated with tags, and the ability to rename tags. 

Fixed

• Simplify formatting is once again removing font, color, and size formats.  
  • Web clips will now always appear in a note when viewed—as you’d expect. 
  • We’ve addressed the top issues causing the app to crash.
  • Fixes an issue where the widget wouldn't load recent notes

Thanks!

28 replies to this idea

Please give us the option to disable recent notes from the short cut list the same way you can now disable them on the Mac client. Their current position is quite distracting. Also, what has been voiced about privacy concerns regarding recent notes on the Mac app applies here as well.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, David56 said:

Still cannot believe it has not been fixed with version 8.10.1.

31 minutes ago, Jozen said:

Same here. Was so hopeful when I installed the last update. Fortunately the work around has been working consistently for me so not completely locked out, however it’s so frustrating when trying to access my information.

Maybe the next update?

Please specify what the issue is.

Same here. Was so hopeful when I installed the last update. Fortunately the work around has been working consistently for me so not completely locked out, however it’s so frustrating when trying to access my information.

Maybe the next update?

On 24/03/2018 at 1:38 PM, gock said:

Hi, 

The newest iOS client makes a hidden element visible if it contains a escaped unicode character. Marxico uses a hidden element to store the escaped Markdown source, so this makes everything horrible. Please fix this. The demo is listed below.

test2.enex

It looks like this. 

image.thumb.png.9ec40d965877c9666ac9209b0778e354.png

My iPad Pro (iOS v. 11.2.6) automatically updated to 8.10 yesterday and now Evernote won't work at all. The bug has been reported several times above by others. The note list shows up, but can't open any of the notes. The UI is completely unresponsive. I've cycled power on the iPad several times with no luck. Very disappointed in Evernote's poor QA.

UPDATE: Confirmed that the problem is as reported by others. If there is a note that contains indents, trying to open that note in 8.10 causes the iOS app to freeze. You have to force close. I had such a note at the top of my most recent note list, that's why it looked like iOS app hung immediately. If I open a different client (for example, on macbook or web app) and edit a note without indents so it goes to the top of the "most recent" list, then when I start iOS Evernote, it works fine ... that is, until I try to open a note with indents. Then the app freezes.

Hi, 

The newest iOS client makes a hidden element visible if it contains a escaped unicode character. Marxico uses a hidden element to store the escaped Markdown source, so this makes everything horrible. Please fix this. The demo is listed below.

test2.enex

My iPad started displaying the problems that David56 and Jozen report in the middle of a business meeting yesterday. I filed a ticket last night, but no response so far. Overnight my iPhone automatically updated too, so now I can't use EN there either. Recreating notices from scratch is not an option for me, for scale reasons. How do I revert to 8.9.2?

Hi Sir, I have installed latest version 8.10.on iPad Pro........after that my Evernote has freezed ...it is  starting only..and then becoming freezing.....please resolve fast.. thanks..my device is latest iOS updated.....thanks 

On 3/19/2018 at 9:46 AM, David56 said:

The common thing along the notes that did not open properly with this 8.10 seems to be that they were formatted in the previous version (simplify formatting) but those notes opened normally from my iMac.

I recreated a note from scratch from the computer and deleted the old one (could not do it from the phone without the app freezing) and it is ok.

Regarding the web clipping, once I simplify the formatting, all text is gone and only pictures remain. If I do a “plain text” formatting, the text does appear.

Thanks for noting this. It lead to a work around that seems to work so far. On a windows computer, I simplify the format, then “undo” it (cntrl Z) to get the note looking like it was. Then force a sync. At that point, I’m able to open on the iPad.

Not the best, since you need to be near a PC with Evernote installed. I can’t see any way to implement the “simplify format” command using the web version. 

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

The widget feature use is documented at  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209006147-How-to-set-up-the-Evernote-widget-on-iPhone-iPad-and-iPod-touch

To leave it off the notification screen, scroll to the bottom and click editIMG_2154.thumb.jpg.aa6552eaeba2ce61284c4d7663a1d170.jpg

You are most condescending. I am not an idiot even though I use iOS. I know how to make widgets go away. It doesn't change the fact that the Evernote widget is completely useless.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, pgdahl said:

The widget is completely useless. Pointless. It would be better left out completely.

The widget feature use is documented at  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209006147-How-to-set-up-the-Evernote-widget-on-iPhone-iPad-and-iPod-touch

To leave it off the notification screen, scroll to the bottom and click editIMG_2154.thumb.jpg.aa6552eaeba2ce61284c4d7663a1d170.jpg

I use macOS desktop version, 7.0.3 (456341 Direct) and iOS app 8.10.362111

iOS version hangs on attempt to open notes with simple indentation, created on my macOS desktop version
Note looks like this:

text1

<----indentation---> text2

If create same note on iOS version, I can open it on desktop, but i cannot remove text2 indentation it seems they are not compatible anymore.

This is a huge bug and showstopper.

• Level 5*

Sometimes the power cycle cleans things up....

Each time have you let EN "cook" as it does the first sync?  I haven't done a reinstall in a while, but when I do I turn of the screen saver and leave EN open on the iDevice.  Depending upon number of notes this can take a little while.  I have a couple of small offline notebooks (maybe 10 notes between them on average), but I don't flag them as such until after the download is complete.  May not help at all, and that empties my knowledge bin.  

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Jozen said:

Wish I could say the same! Kind of a show stopper for me...keep hitting the App Store refresh hoping for an update to fix. Not sure where to go with this.

Only thought I would have would be to uninstall the EN app, power cycle the iDevice, and then reinstall the EN app.

19 minutes ago, CalS said:

Not seeing any of these issues on my iDevices.

Wish I could say the same! Kind of a show stopper for me...keep hitting the App Store refresh hoping for an update to fix. Not sure where to go with this.

• Ex Employees

@David56 Would you be able to open a support ticket so we can look further into this? If you still have a note that is affected, I'd like to get a copy of it (via support ticket) so we can do some testing on our end, as well as a log. Thanks!

The common thing along the notes that did not open properly with this 8.10 seems to be that they were formatted in the previous version (simplify formatting) but those notes opened normally from my iMac.

I recreated a note from scratch from the computer and deleted the old one (could not do it from the phone without the app freezing) and it is ok.

Regarding the web clipping, once I simplify the formatting, all text is gone and only pictures remain. If I do a “plain text” formatting, the text does appear.

10 hours ago, David56 said:

Hi All,

I installed 8.10 on my iPhone 8 this morning. All my notes are listed but most of them only show the note title the rest being blank. At this point in a blank note, the app freezes and my only option is to force it to close. I have restarted the iPhone and evernote quite a number of time without improvements.

Have others experienced this?

Cheers,

David

Same here on iPad. Some notes ok. Can’t find a common thread between the ones that lock up the system. 

New to forums, but longtime user (2009). Installed the 8.10 update yesterday afternoon, and ever since, my ipad installation is broken (naturally, just before a weekend of working at home). Have followed the trouble shooting procedures—uninstall, restart, and sign in.

It loads notes, but some of them, while showing the thumbnail, don’t show the note’s content in the right hand pane, and when that note is selected it locks up. Eventually it will crash. At first I thought it might be that not all my notes are downloaded, but even when selecting a note in a notebook that shows the downloads complete, it still locks up.

Everything looks OK on my other installations (haven’t upgraded the phone to the latest version).

Any suggestions?

Anyone else having this issue?

If it looks like this is widespread, I’ll just wait til a fix comes out, otherwise I’ll need to open a support ticket.

-Jason S.

Hi All,

I installed 8.10 on my iPhone 8 this morning. All my notes are listed but most of them only show the note title the rest being blank. At this point in a blank note, the app freezes and my only option is to force it to close. I have restarted the iPhone and evernote quite a number of time without improvements.

Have others experienced this?

Cheers,

David

Glad to see the update especially the tag management.

For web clip, when simplify formatting, only the pic of the web is shown. No text.

For widget, there are still some notes can't be shown.

Archived