Evernote for Windows 6.10 Beta 2

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks - 

We've released version 6.10 Beta 2. You can download it here or by checking for updates. For Beta 2 we've continued to mostly focus our time on crash and bug fixes. We want to get a couple of these changes to all our users shortly so this will be our last Beta before we GA. Please let us know if you spot any issues!  

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team

----------------------------------------------------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.10

Note: Versions 6.10 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Fixed:

• An intermittent issue where notes are sometimes not loaded when on-demand sync option is selected
  • An issue where local notebooks are sometimes missing
  • An issue where a new line is sometimes introduced after copy/pasting text into a note
  • An issue where an audio note is not saved when switching away from a note while sync is hapening
  • An issue where Evernote can no longer be launched if the database folder is manually deleted
  • An issue where encrypted text is not always shown after providing the passphrase
  • An issue where annotation is not possible if an attached PDF file name includes "." (dot symbol)

Improved:

• UI tweaks to the sidebar to reduce the size of the new note button and to make the list of notebooks and shortcuts easier to scan

24 replies to this idea

6 hours ago, orion_mitchell said:

When I create a new note, I can't change the notebook it's in.

We're currently investigating the fix to this. It appears that trying to move a modified (unsynced) note fails. As a workaround, sync first.

• Evernote Expert

Long time to move a bunch of notes :

Hi @Chantal Leonard , i think something major has got messed up in the 'Move to Different Notebook' function. You may please want to give them a major and thorough check. When i select a few notes ( about 10 - 12) ,and one shot, Apply Common tags ( This is working well), but when i move to another Notebook, the Blue Wheel of Death appears and it takes around 30-40 seconds for the notes to move and the App to come back to its normal state. Please fix this. Thanks.

• Level 5*

Bug report, this doesn't happen every time, but just about.

1. Make context All notes.
  2. Go to the search bar and do an intitle:searchstring or a created:yyyymmdd search.
  3. Typing will stop after the colon and the screen will flash after a second
  4. The search bar will display intitle: and the cursor will not be visible.
  5. Go back to all notes and you now have a note containing searchstring.

I don't remember this is in the past.  If it makes any difference I have search as you type delay set at 50 ms.

22 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Let us know if you spot any issues!

Main problem for me are handling issues during simple text input and formatting:

• Focus surprises: Sometimes (don't know exactly when) pasted text (from windows clipboard) is pasted at the end of note and not at current cursor position.
  • Placement of attached PDF files:
    • UNcheck Tools -> Options -> Note: "Always show PDF documents as attachements"
    • If You drag PDF files from outside to a note,
      • -> Bug: the file is placed often either somewhere above the current cursor position or at the end of the note. This is true in nearly all cases in which You try to insert the file within a bulleted list.
    • Please try the following:
      • type a line of text within a new note and type <RETURN>
      • open a bulleted list by CTRL-Shift-B
      • drag a PDF file from explorer to cursor position in note (just behind the bullet)
      • RClick on PDF -> [V] View as Attachment
        • -> Bug: text cursor jumps to start of note (doesn't remain after newly inserted PDF)
    • if you have some PDF files listed in one line (view as attachments now), please try the following:
      • place cursor at the start of the line
      • type CTRL-Shift-B to make this line a bulleted (list) line
      • place cursor betweed the PDF files
      • type <RETURN>
        • -> Bug: A new bulleted line is opend (OK) but the PDF files behind the cursor did NOT move to this line
      • Hint: If there is a <SPACE> between the PDF files and the cursor is just before the <SPACE> before hitting <RETURN>, the file behind the <SPACE> moves to the next bulleted line.

All of these effects (and some others around this) do not occur in all cases. Exactly this (suprising behaviour) drives me crazy because you have to be very careful all the time. You cannot type blind and rely on what will be the result :-(

I cannot see any fixing on this issues along with the Betas. But I'm sure, these problems appeared at first in 6.8 or 6.9 (with the new PDF "features"?)

The problems I encountered in Beta 1 and described in this post are still there. Especially concerning is the behavior of the Screenshot button when it is used in combination with the Ctrl key, and the note I want to put the screenshot into is located in the middle of the list. Upon releasing of the mouse button, when the main Evernote window comes back into view, the Evernote focus changes to the top of the list. It does not stay on the note I have been working with. I am forced to scroll down the list to find it again.  The only way to keep the focus on the current note is either have it open in its own window or use "Clip Screenshot" option with the Ctrl key from the tray icon. And I do not like to have a note open in the separate window unless I absolutely have to. I hope I described it more clearly than I did in the first post.  

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, cheesetec said:

Thanks - I can get around the problem by using "stack:<stackname>" in the search, despite the stack keyword never being listed as an operator on the advanced search syntax article. 

ScreenClip.png

Cool. I didn't know that existed. I was relying on the syntax article. 

Well, then it seems it might be a bug, or at least an incomplete  design. Selecting the stack should automatically set the stack: parameter IMHO.

6 minutes ago, EdH said:

No. It is a design limitation. Stacks don't exist. They are a fiction. It is just a way to visually group notebooks, but they aren't really grouped any other way.

I know EN could add a search--by-stack feature, but it would be a whole different set of code to do that, not just telling it to "search here and everything below it" because there is no "here" to begin with.

Thanks - I can get around the problem by using "stack:<stackname>" in the search, despite the stack keyword never being listed as an operator on the advanced search syntax article. 

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, cheesetec said:

Is it a bug that using the search box while a Stack is selected resets the search-filter to 'All Notes'?

No. It is a design limitation. Stacks don't exist. They are a fiction. It is just a way to visually group notebooks, but they aren't really grouped any other way.

I know EN could add a search--by-stack feature, but it would be a whole different set of code to do that, not just telling it to "search here and everything below it" because there is no "here" to begin with.

47 minutes ago, CalS said:

As reported above, this beta does not fix the issue wherein notes can't be moved to local notebooks.  Can we assume this will be fixed prior to the GA? 

I've been advised this is in our current internal builds. Just not in time to make the beta cut.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, dconnet said:

We're currently investigating the fix to this. It appears that trying to move a modified (unsynced) note fails. As a workaround, sync first.

Hard to do when offline.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, EdH said:

Or even fixing it and then immediately releasing to GA without further bug testing. I've never understood the logic in a beta program where you release new changes between the last beta and the release that have not been widely tested.

Seems to me Beta 3 should fix it, then be tested, then after X days, beta 3 released as the GA assuming no issues resulting from the changes in B3 caused problems.

Agreed. I was interested in last beta and this, uh....., issue still being there.  

Hello 6.7 if this gets to GA, stated calmly as a matter of fact, no threat or the like.  Would get good PDF viewing and no green button as consolation I suppose.  

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, CalS said:

@Chantal Leonard

As reported above, this beta does not fix the issue wherein notes can't be moved to local notebooks.  Can we assume this will be fixed prior to the GA? 

If not, I would be interested in the logic of this bug making it to GA, this being the last beta and all.

Or even fixing it and then immediately releasing to GA without further bug testing. I've never understood the logic in a beta program where you release new changes between the last beta and the release that have not been widely tested.

Seems to me Beta 3 should fix it, then be tested, then after X days, beta 3 released as the GA assuming no issues resulting from the changes in B3 caused problems.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

so this will be our last Beta before we GA

@Chantal Leonard

If not, I would be interested in the logic of this bug making it to GA, this being the last beta and all.

• Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, orion_mitchell said:

I've also found a bug. When I create a new note, I can't change the notebook it's in. I might select another one but it doesn't change. Closing the new note and changing it through another way works though.

Wasnt this bug in the earlier beta release and it was reported too @Chantal Leonard and such a major critical function, and it hasnt been fixed yet? Disappointing.

• Level 5*

Any chance beta 3 will get rid of this dialog box? It is becoming rather annoying.

1 time is fine. Every single time I put a note into a notebook I share with my wife is not helpful.

2018-03-13_9-47-50.png.e4332292970a2486c4212f982485740d.png

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

What's new with Beta 2 (in relation to Beta 1 from 24.0.2.18?). Your Release Notes are exactly the same as written in

We did a couple additional intermittent crash fixes - nothing with a specific repro steps so I didn't call it out in the release notes. This is our last Beta before we GA and our last beta often has less visible user changes as we're looking to stabilize and get additional bug fixes in. Let us know if you spot any issues! 

• Evernote Expert

@Chantal Leonard Bug in Attachment Picker.. // Serious Potential for Data loss..

Hi, when i use attachment picker, and map to Windows harddrive, and manual select and add, only few files are getting added into Evernote, of the chosen. Of 17 images, i pick and add, only some 5 or 6 are getting loaded into Evernote. Sometimes, in a hurry, we may add and leave, thinking application has added all the files and think that since data has already been added to Evernote, we may delete files from hard disk, only later, we may realise that lots of the data is actually misisng. Serious problem.

Please fix up possible..

Archived