Didn't update for a while, now software update is unavailable

I haven't used Evernote in about 2 months.  When I opened it just now, it says<

"Evernote v 6.7.5" 

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

I'm not sure what to do here.  I noticed that there are additional versions of the software available beyond 6.7.5.  Perhaps the version that my computer wants to update to is old, thus causing the problems?

On 3/12/2018 at 1:23 PM, jefito said:

You can check your activity log, but that sounds more like a network error, perhaps a temporary problem with the servers used to deliver Evernote updates. 

You might also try going to the Evernote download site: https://evernote.com/download

Thanks.  I am still getting the same error message.

Also, I think that maybe a month before I stopped using Evernote, I changed the setting so that Evernote doesn't put all of the data in the cloud.  I don't know if that affects anything.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Whitelightening said:

Thanks.  I am still getting the same error message.

Connecting to the download site should automatically start a download of the currently released application. If the download isn't happening, then you may have some network problem that doesn't allow you to see the evernote.com domain.

10 hours ago, Whitelightening said:

Also, I think that maybe a month before I stopped using Evernote, I changed the setting so that Evernote doesn't put all of the data in the cloud.  I don't know if that affects anything.

That's the "On-demand sync" setting (Tools / Options / Synchronization / "Enable on-demand sync")? That option affects note synchronization only; it shouldn't prevent you from updating your software.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:04 AM, jefito said:

Connecting to the download site should automatically start a download of the currently released application. If the download isn't happening, then you may have some network problem that doesn't allow you to see the evernote.com domain.

Thanks for your help so far.

Hmm.. I am just on a home network and I haven't really changed any router settings except for very basic/ required stuff.  Also, I am able to log into the Evernote site and view a lot (maybe even all) of my Evernote data.  But, maybe the server for the download is a different domain? 

I also don't have any special security software running, except for what Windows has built in.  So, I was thinking that maybe it's windows firewall?  But, I wouldn't think that the firewall would block it because Evernote is even in the Microsoft windows store.

I also did some generic web searches for download problems on Windows 10.  But, I couldn't come up with anything. 

I wish there was a way for me to tell Evernote not to do the update.  This way, I could probably export the data and then uninstall the program and then reinstall it.

Seems, you have the same issue as me. The windows message is incorrect. The problem is that the new Evernote installer needs the old one in order to correctly uninstall the previous version. It searches for the old installer where it was upon installing.

This is an Evernote Update BUG: it downloads the update msi file into a temporary folder, and installs it from there. The installer does not save itself to a safe place either. This means, when you want to uninstall or update, chances are that the file won't be there. It is then impossible to uninstall evernote from the Windows control panel too.

Evernote people:

1) Don't use a temporary folder for long-term storage of the msi file

2) Please tell us where we can find the previous installers on the web, else I remain stuck with 6.7.5

Thanks, Csaba

PS: I have Win7.

• 1 month later...

Do not waste your time, just uninstall using the following method then install:

Use Microsoft’s Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter

Microsoft offerrs an Install and Uninstall Troubleshoote to automatically solve installing and uninstall issues. Download the tool and launch it. It will ask you whether you are having installing issues or uninstalling issues. Click on “Uninstalling,” and it will automatically try to detect and solve the problem.

Uninstall-Windows-Program-Uninstalling

If it fails to fix the problem, it will list all the apps in your system. Look for the culprit app and select it. After that the wizard will try to solve issues with that specific program. If it is fixed, you can try uninstalling the program again.

Uninstall-Windows-Program-choose program

https://www.maketecheasier.com/remove-stubborn-program-windows/

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2018 at 1:16 AM, Whitelightening said:

I haven't used Evernote in about 2 months.  When I opened it just now, it says<

"Evernote v 6.7.5" 

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

I'm not sure what to do here.  I noticed that there are additional versions of the software available beyond 6.7.5.  Perhaps the version that my computer wants to update to is old, thus causing the problems?

Funny, that's exactly what I had this morning. I've fixed it this way:

This should be your version, doublecheck the 4 digit build number at the end just to be sure:

Archived