Where and how is Evernote stored on my computer?

I have been trying to find out how Evernote is stored on my computer. My basic interest is that I am trying to go paperless (as much as possible) and I'm wondering if the file and file structure live on the computer or at Evernote. IOW, if Evernote ever goes out of business or changes their busines plan in a way I can't join, what happens to my files? I use Evernote for everything now, and don't want to suddenly have everything either disappear or become unusable (disorganized, not searchable, etc.). Since they don't seem to have a phone number and no one in support ever answers an email, I hope someone here can help me. Thanks.

Aside from the web client (and to a lesser degree the mobile clients), Evernote clients are "thick". So they download, maintain, and sync a local copy of all the data; this data also lives in Evernote's Google Cloud servers. The easiest way to get it out of Evernote is to export the notebooks from the client; note that you can do this even without an internet connection, so it should still work if our servers explode.

I'm not on top of where they're stored normally (the best way is just to google it, but it varies by client, because Mac/Windows have different ideas about where such things should be stored), but the way they're stored is not really great for retrieving without the help of the client.

• Level 5*

>>I have been trying to find out how Evernote is stored on my computer.

I'm using a Mac; a full data copy is maintained on my computer.  5aa1e870c4d50_ScreenShot2018-03-08at17_50_00.png.da112a19bd26c6badeaddaa55bcbfbff.png
The average user does not access this data directly, but here are the details

• The screenshots illustrate identifying the location.
  • There are separate folders for each note.  
    In comparison,  Windows stores everything embedded in one .exb file.  
  • The metadata is stored in an sqlite database.
  • Note content is stored in a .enml file (one for each note).  This format is similar to html, with 5aa26f29d4d5c_ScreenShot2018-03-09at03_24_25.png.e262b5a498c4aa569290fac39747b836.pngsome extensions.

>>what happens to my files?

For post Evernote, it's easy to export your data in html format (readable in any web browser) 
In fact, I use this in my backups; at any time I have access to my data outside of Evernote.

>>Since they don't seem to have a phone number and no one in support ever answers an email

To contact Evernote Support

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
On 3/8/2018 at 4:22 PM, Ayil said:

I have been trying to find out how Evernote is stored on my computer. My basic interest is that I am trying to go paperless (as much as possible) and I'm wondering if the file and file structure live on the computer or at Evernote. IOW, if Evernote ever goes out of business or changes their busines plan in a way I can't join, what happens to my files? I use Evernote for everything now, and don't want to suddenly have everything either disappear or become unusable (disorganized, not searchable, etc.). Since they don't seem to have a phone number and no one in support ever answers an email, I hope someone here can help me. Thanks.

If on Windows you would be able to access your data locally should something happen to the servers.  One caveat, never sign out of EN from the Windows client.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, CalS said:

never sign out of EN from the Windows client.

Also applies to Mac and IOS

Evernote is a cloud service, but the apps work fine in temporary offline mode; except for one small point - an internet connection is required to login to your account.

I'm interested in hearing the explanation for this.  My devices are password/touched protected, but I dislike the idea of never logging out.

• 2 weeks later...

Not directly responding to your question, but if (like me) you want to be sure you keep a legible-even-without-Evernote copy of all your notes, you can write scripts which back up your notebooks into .enex files, which are XML files. While it would require a bit of editing (headers etc) to view them just with a browser, if one morning Evernote ceased to exist and your software would no longer work, all the data would be there.

See this discussion thread for how to automate this (needs some editing of the script) 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/26/2018 at 7:27 AM, Martin Pergler said:

you want to be sure you keep a legible-even-without-Evernote copy of all your notes, you can write scripts which back up your notebooks into .enex files, which are XML files. While it would require a bit of editing (headers etc) to view them just with a browser, if one morning Evernote ceased to exist and your software would no longer work, all the data would be there.

For a legible-even-without-Evernote copy, I find html export format is much more useful than the .enex format.  The note can be viewed by any browser.

>>See this discussion thread for how to automate this

There is a windows scripting solution.  I use an Applescript on my Mac for daily incremental backups
There are also third-part products like Backupery.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Great question. Appreciate all the group info but I am still searching for my Evernote notes on my new pc without success. I am trying to set up a shortcut to open my Evernote data via Evernote.com. Is there a direct access to a user manual for a Win 10 (updated version)pc?

Mac Laird

• Level 5*
On 4/21/2018 at 12:41 PM, mslaird1@cox.net said:

Great question. Appreciate all the group info but I am still searching for my Evernote notes on my new pc without success. I am trying to set up a shortcut to open my Evernote data via Evernote.com. Is there a direct access to a user manual for a Win 10 (updated version)pc?

Mac Laird

If you are just using the EN through a browser your data is not stored on your PC, it is only on EN's servers.

If you use the evernote desktop app your data will be stored locally in a data base on your local drive, the default folder is C:\Users\username\Evernote.  It will also be stored on EN's servers.

Not sure what shortcut you are trying to create?

• Level 5*
On 2018-04-21 at 12:41 PM, mslaird1@cox.net said:

I am still searching for my Evernote notes on my new pc without success.

On Windows devices, all data is combined in an sqlite database named aaaaaaa.exb

>>I am trying to set up a shortcut to open my Evernote data

You can create shortcuts to specific notes using the Classic link feature.  This is a url  of the form evernote:///view/....

6 hours ago, CalS said:

If you are just using the EN through a browser your data is not stored on your PC, it is only on EN's servers.

If you use the evernote desktop app your data will be stored locally in a data base on your local drive, the default folder is C:\Users\username\Evernote.  It will also be stored on EN's servers.

6 hours ago, CalS said:

Very helpful. Thank you. I am getting better at using the "new" EN. I like what I have seen so far but still pondering the benefits of adding the app. Think I could save some time if I got into an EN tutorial. 

• Level 5*
On 4/23/2018 at 5:10 PM, mslaird1@cox.net said:

Very helpful. Thank you. I am getting better at using the "new" EN. I like what I have seen so far but still pondering the benefits of adding the app. Think I could save some time if I got into an EN tutorial. 

You are welcome.  Don't know what quality, but there may be something out there to jump start your EN experience.  You can always watch a couple to get different perspectives.  There really isn't a right way to use EN.  I think folks sort of morph to what works best for them.  I'm still making adjustments after almost 10 years.  Good luck!

ScreenClip.png.44392b37b368c3fbfc1d391c52b3c12e.png

• 7 months later...

I didn't realize until I read this topic that there was a distinction between what is called in the Word and Resource Counts dialog "PDF documents" and "PDF documents with Evernote OCR."

Please clarify -- for each of those (in Windows) -- whether or not attaching a PDF file to a Note (i.e., appearing in a Note) increases the size of the Evernote database on my computer by the size of the file. (I have many large PDF files that I would have liked to attach within Evernote so that I could search for text in them, but chose not to because I had gotten the impression that doing so would increase the size of the EN database by the size of the PDF file, and I didn't want the EN data to get humongous because I expected that would increase loading and search times.)

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Please clarify -- for each of those (in Windows) -- whether or not attaching a PDF file to a Note (i.e., appearing in a Note) increases the size of the Evernote database on my computer by the size of the file.

Confirmed - Attaching files to a note increases the size of of the Evernote database

I can't speak for Windows, but on a Mac, there is no compression.   The attachment file is stored in native format.

It does allow indexing for searching.  I'm not seeing an impact to loading and search times
An additional benefit is that I have no concerns about a storage location for the pdf files.

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, DTLow said:

Confirmed - Attaching files to a note increases the size of of the Evernote database

I can't speak for Windows, but on a Mac, there is no compression.   The attachment file is stored in native format.

It does allow indexing for searching.  I'm not seeing an impact to loading and search times
An additional benefit is that I have no concerns about a storage location for the pdf files.

Do I understand correctly:
1) I can't use the desktop application without saving notes to my mac? 
2) If I want to have my notes only in the cloud, I must use EN through the browser (and it's my only choice)?

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, seraph said:

Do I understand correctly:
1) I can't use the desktop application without saving notes to my mac? 
2) If I want to have my notes only in the cloud, I must use EN through the browser (and it's my only choice)?

Correct; Evernote/Mac maintains a full copy of the database

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

I hope somebody sees this...

I'm moving to a new windows 10 pc.  I simply (?) want to be able to backup my local copy of the EN database so that when I reinstall it on the new pc, I can have all the data there PRIOR to going online. 

I'm pretty paranoid about going online before I have all my data available and before installing all my security programs (everything has been downloaded including EN).  Once those are all in place, THEN I'll go online and and install all my other software.

Thinking out loud, if I do this, then will my local copy sync with the online copy or will there be conflicts?

TIA for any help or response.

Richard

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Richard_GG said:

I'm moving to a new windows 10 pc.  I simply (?) want to be able to backup my local copy of the EN database so that when I reinstall it on the new pc, I can have all the data there PRIOR to going online

If you are not using the new v10, it is pretty easy.  All of your data is stored in the .exb file.  Make sure your current Windows app has been fully sync’ed and then copy the .exb file to a portable storage device.  On your new PC install Evernote and then exit the program.  It will have created a new .exb file.  Replace this with the one you backed up on your storage device.  Restart Evernote and log into your account as usual and you should be good to go.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Richard_GG said:

Oops, I  AM using v10.  What should I do instead?

If you are on v10, I will assume you don’t have any local notebooks, ones that never sync to the server.  Using v10, I don’t know any way other than installing the software, logging in and letting Evernote replicate your database on the new device.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Richard_GG said:

Oops, I  AM using v10.  What should I do instead?

You can install the Legacy product  Here
The Version 10 product is a cloud service; there is an optional local database but it's only used for offline work

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Richard_GG said:

Is the v10 database compatible with the legacy version?

There's a single database on the server, accessed by both the Legacy and Version 10 products 

The local database copies are completely different

The Windows Legacy database is a single .exb file;    
an  SQLite database holding metadata, note.enml, and attachment files

The Version 10 database is optional, and only used for offline work   
Attachment files are stored in a folder, with subfolders for each note   
Note.enml is stored in a single .sql file

2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

If you are on v10, I will assume you don’t have any local notebooks, ones that never sync to the server.  Using v10, I don’t know any way other than installing the software, logging in and letting Evernote replicate your database on the new device.

I do have a local .exb file, but it's a month old.  Must be left over from when I upgraded to v10.  So, I should install v10 , log into it, and it will connect to my online data?  I'm still confused about how/where v10 saves that data locally so I can use it if offline and could potentially back it up...

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There's a single database on the server, accessed by both the Legacy and Version 10 products 

The local database copies are completely different    
The Version 10 database is optional, and only used for offline work

So, how can I force EN to create that database for offline work?  Thanks again...

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Richard_GG said:

So, how can I force EN to create that database for offline work?  

It's the default setting specified in Evernote > Preferences; Save Data ....

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Richard_GG said:

Sorry to drag this out but I don't get that option:

The actual wording is  the "Save data at log out" displayed in your screenshots

• Level 5*

Ok, but how do I find out where is it saved TO?

V10 does not use a .exb file so you don’t have that backup option in v10.  Instead you need to export notebooks individually.  If you want to use the .exb file for backup you need to revert back to the legacy version.

• Level 5*

Ok, but how do I find out where is it saved TO?

For Windows          C:/users/<youraccount>/appdata/roaming /evernote
For Macs                      /Users/<youraccount>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

For Macs                      /Users/<youraccount>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

Ahhh.  Thank you, I found it.  So here's my plan: BEFORE going online:

1. Since I'm using latest version of EN, Backup this folder from the old pc.
  2. Install v10 on new PC
  3. Backup this same folder on new PC just in case...
  4. Shut down EN on new pc
  5. Restore same folder from old pc onto new pc
  6. Restart EN on new PC
  7. Everything should be the same.

Does this sound right?  OR could I just wait until I'm online, install v10, log into it, and then expect ir will sync with online database?

So many possibilities...   :)

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Richard_GG said:

OR could I just wait until I'm online, install v10, log into it, and then expect ir will sync with online database?

I think this is the best solution

• Level 5*

Ahhh.  Thank you, I found it.  So here's my plan: BEFORE going online:

1. Since I'm using latest version of EN, Backup this folder from the old pc.
  2. Install v10 on new PC
  3. Backup this same folder on new PC just in case...
  4. Shut down EN on new pc
  5. Restore same folder from old pc onto new pc
  6. Restart EN on new PC
  7. Everything should be the same.

Does this sound right?  OR could I just wait until I'm online, install v10, log into it, and then expect ir will sync with online database?

So many possibilities...   :)

Don't know that the restore is needed.  The folder contents after the download on the new PC should be the same as the folder contents on the old PC, assuming V10 on both.  They both should represent what is on the server.

15 minutes ago, CalS said:

Don't know that the restore is needed.  The folder contents after the download on the new PC should be the same as the folder contents on the new PC, assuming V10 on both.  They both should represent what is on the server.

That's what I am finally beginning to understand. Sheesh, took a while.  Thanks again! Richard

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Richard_GG said:

That's what I am finally beginning to understand. Sheesh, took a while.  Thanks again! Richard

You are welcome.  I edited the original post.  Two new's don't make a lot of sense.  Thanks for getting that.  Oops.

• Haha 1
  • 3 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 8:27 AM, Martin Pergler said:

Not directly responding to your question, but if (like me) you want to be sure you keep a legible-even-without-Evernote copy of all your notes, you can write scripts which back up your notebooks into .enex files, which are XML files. While it would require a bit of editing (headers etc) to view them just with a browser, if one morning Evernote ceased to exist and your software would no longer work, all the data would be there.

See this discussion thread for how to automate this (needs some editing of the script) 

Man, I would love to have a way to backup my data. Evernote is making fundamental changes to their platform.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Tonymynd said:

Man, I would love to have a way to backup my data. Evernote is making fundamental changes to their platform.

These discussions provide examples of backing up Evernote data   
Personally, I'm using export to html,  with the Evernote Legacy product, on a Mac

• Like 1
On 12/13/2020 at 3:03 AM, DTLow said:

Hi I have a similar query to the OP. I am thinking of switching to Evernote for my note making but first I have to know that I can have a hard drive back up as well as in the cloud, and I want to know where everything is stored. I want to be able to make a backup on my external hard drive. 

So, from what I can gather, Evernote automatically keeps a copy of your notes on your computer, and a copy in its own cloud (hope I'm right about that).

I'm looking for this local/hard copy now on my Mac but cannot find it. When I go to users>myname>library>application support .... there is no Evernote file there.

Thanks

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, LucyWW said:

I'm looking for this local/hard copy now on my Mac but cannot find it. When I go to users>myname>library>application support .... there is no Evernote file there.

2133496607_ScreenShot2021-03-22at13_14_21.png.efc4d7c61f73aa67f5163e312750170d.pngIt's actually a folder (see screenshot)

Can you post a similar screenshot

Just confirming - you have the Evernote Mac software installed, and have logged in to your account

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5

You don’t need to see your data on your PC.

First it may be that your client is set not to keep local data. v10 always works from the server, only if offline the local data plays a role. Whether it builds a local copy is controlled in preferences / settings.

Second the local data is saved in a proprietary format. The client is the way to access the data.

If you need your EN data independently from the EN client, there are 2 options:

Export to ENEX, this can be done for a selection of notes (max. 50 notes with the current clients) or for a complete notebook at once. Can be opened with EN or a number of other note apps.

Export to HTML, works only for a selection of notes. Can be opened with every browser.

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Export to HTML, works only for a selection of notes. Can be opened with every browser.

Export to HTML works on notebooks as well. Unfortunately, the export is still very buggy. One of the major bugs is ticket 3309909, issued long time ago 🤔

• Level 5*
On 9/3/2021 at 5:05 AM, Mohammed Niyasdeen said:

In order for me to proceed with all my notes, I really need to know where my EN notes are saved in my PC.  

Please explain this "need"   
The Evernote Legacy product stored your Evernote data in a  single  .exb file; an SQLite database   
The Evernote v10 product stores your note contents in a single .sql file.  Note file attachments are stored separately; a folder for each note   
 How does this information enable you "to proceed"

Personally, my data backups include an export of my data using the .html option   
This data is useful; notes are read-able by any web browser

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 4:00 PM, DTLow said:

Correct; Evernote/Mac maintains a full copy of the database

I have seen the thread but I still can't find the "full copy of the database". I got as far as:

Finder > Library > Application Support > Evernote

But then there was a whole load of folders and files that I don't understand (I am not a computer whiz!).

How do I find the locally stored Evernote notes on my Mac?

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 10.10.39 pm.png

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you want to run a backup, simply grab the whole folder.

If you run TimeMachine, you already have a backup, because the folder will be in your TM backup.

By "the whole folder" do you mean Finder > Library > Application Support > Evernote?

How would I then access a note from that folder?

• Evernote Expert

You cannot access an individual note from the folder.  You would have to install the Evernote software to access your notes. The data directory isn't a simple collection of notes and attachments. Rather all linked to the servers online and connected via the application software.

The folder depends upon your OS.  The details are further up this thread.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, agsteele said:

You cannot access an individual note from the folder.  You would have to install the Evernote software to access your notes. The data directory isn't a simple collection of notes and attachments. Rather all linked to the servers online and connected via the application software.

The folder depends upon your OS.  The details are further up this thread.

So if I use Time Machine, will it back up the local database on my computer?
And then if I need to restore EN notes, I delete EN from my computer, then download it again using the database from the Time Machine?
Can someone explain in simple English how to do that? sorry I don't know much! 😅

• Evernote Expert

You don't need a local backup to restore Evernote. Just install the software, login and your data will be recreated on your device.

Time Machine backs up a Mac to give you an additional level of confidence.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, emotionalbuggage said:

So if I use Time Machine, will it back up the local database on my computer?
And then if I need to restore EN notes, I delete EN from my computer, then download it again using the database from the Time Machine?

You don''t "delete EN" from  your computer

1 Close the EN app; disconnect from the internet
2 Restore the EN folders from your backup (Time Machine or other)  
3 Open the EN app   

Before connecting to the internet, make sure you save any notes you're trying to restore   
The automatic sync will update your database to the latest version

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

3 Open the EN app   

Before connecting to the internet, make sure you save any notes you're trying to restore   

I think the poster is right: it might be needed to restore both the EN folders and the Evernote client as well because the folder structure and  data may be specific per Evernote version(s). There is no guarantee that the format stays the same between versions. It is implementation specific data that belongs to the internals of the EN client. It is not standardized like the ENEX format which is the official way of archiving. 

13 hours ago, eric99 said:

I think the poster is right: it might be needed to restore both the EN folders and the Evernote client as well because the folder structure and  data may be specific per Evernote version(s). There is no guarantee that the format stays the same between versions. It is implementation specific data that belongs to the internals of the EN client. It is not standardized like the ENEX format which is the official way of archiving. 

Is the ENEX format automatically saved on Time Machine?

15 hours ago, DTLow said:

3 Open the EN app   

How do I restore the EN folders from my backup? 
Finder > Library > Application Support > Evernote? .... then what do I do?

• Evernote Expert
11 hours ago, emotionalbuggage said:

I'm not sure we can advise more clearly than has already been done in this thread...

@DTLow shared a few posts above...

If you don't feel confident in doing this type of thing then you probably need someone nearby to hold your hand through the process the first time. (And that's OK. Not everyone is as confident as others.) I think you may need to find an IT buddy. If I ever get to that position I call my son... ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5
11 hours ago, emotionalbuggage said:

Reading through this thread I think you are lacking some basic knowledge about how your computer is working.

This is no problem as long as you stick to use the installed programs in the way they are build for. EN is not build to support a local backup. If you know what you do, you can run it. But you need to know what you do in case you run a restore, because you are manually modifying files meant to be modified by the program itself.

The EN folder holds all necessary information. But in itself it is not readable - you need the EN client to open the backup files and reload it to the server. Which shows the problem - the same (or nearly the same) notes are already on the server. As I said: EN has no official local backup strategy. It can be done, but it contradicts the server focussed way of holding the users information.

If you want to continue on this path, I think you should create a small Free Account, only for testing purposes. Put some play notes into it, get somebody as your IT buddy, and run through alls steps of making and restoring a backup. You avoid damaging your own server data by accident.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Reading through this thread I think you are lacking some basic knowledge about how your computer is working.

This is no problem as long as you stick to use the installed programs in the way they are build for. EN is not build to support a local backup. If you know what you do, you can run it. But you need to know what you do in case you run a restore, because you are manually modifying files meant to be modified by the program itself.

The EN folder holds all necessary information. But in itself it is not readable - you need the EN client to open the backup files and reload it to the server. Which shows the problem - the same (or nearly the same) notes are already on the server. As I said: EN has no official local backup strategy. It can be done, but it contradicts the server focussed way of holding the users information.

If you want to continue on this path, I think you should create a small Free Account, only for testing purposes. Put some play notes into it, get somebody as your IT buddy, and run through alls steps of making and restoring a backup. You avoid damaging your own server data by accident.

Good idea. I might try the test account idea. Thank you! :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For other people looking for where their EN data is located, mine was not in Application Support but here...

/Users/tomn/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

I'm assuming that this was migrated here at some point when upgrading to a new version of evernote. It's a bit odd because within the directory com.evernote.Evernote has a directory structure (not the files just structure) of my user account including, documents, desktop, library, applications support... then inside that Library you can find application support/evernote/  From here your data seems scattered across some directories but the largest is this...

/Users/tomn/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/resource-cache  

Although there's some other directories where I can actually see some note attachments and the notes themeselves. Some are new and some are old.  It's possible those are notes with attachments that are shared with another user (my wife).Some were new notes and some were old.  Those you can actually see and open the file attachment (eg. a PDF...) whereas  that directory above has all of the notes with attachments encrypted. (you can't see note name, content...) but it was 9GB so assume this is where a majority of my data is located.

I suspect which version of Evernote you started with and migrated versions over the years ends up placing your EN data in different places and not simply in user/library/application support. Also, if you used the macos migration assistant over the years and not start from scratch and install EN... you would get different results.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, town said:

For other people looking for where their EN data is located, mine was not in Application Support but here...

Thanks for this note.

The data directories in v10 of Evernote vary with OS and whether the application is the direct download or via Microsoft/Apple stores. So always worth noting which version of the application you are using

I have:

10.29.7-win-ddl-public (3186)

and the data directory is %AppData%\Evernote = C:\Users\your_windows_user_directory\AppData\Roaming\Evernote

The other thing to remember is that the data stored is not necessarily a complete, mirror image of what is held in the cloud. Be sure that the setting to 'Save Data at Logout' is checked and ensure that you do log out for the data to be fully written to the local disk.

• 1 year later...

On my Windows laptop, I just upgraded from legacy to EN 10.58.8

To use the new EN offline, I understand it creates a database for offline use.

My legacy database was 16 GB. I often travel where the Internet is not available.

Before I travel, I would like to know if the optional offline database is current.

How can I check if the offline database is complete and ready for me to use?

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Provided you were fully synced before going off line and do not sign out you will be able work on your notes while you stay off line.

I'm new to EN 10.58.8, I installed it today. I'm still finding my way from legacy to the new world haha. I appreciate your patience.

To create a database for offline use, the default preference "Tools: Settings: Preferences: Application: Keep a copy of my notes on this device at sign out" has a checkmark. So that's a good start I think.

My legacy database was 16 GB. It normally takes a few hours for the Internet to download a database copy from Evernote to my laptop.

To get "fully synced", shall I leave Evernote online for a few hours to allow it to create the original offline database? Also, is there an indicator (* similar to my iPhone) that shows that the databases are "fully synced"?

* to ensure my iPhone's offline database is in sync with Evernote, I go to "Settings: Offline: Manage offline note". This provides a list of my 34 Notebooks. When it shows a dark arrow, it means the databases are aligned. If it is a light arrow, it means the sync is still in progress.

Thanks

• Evernote Expert
4 minutes ago, Duhtch said:

To get "fully synced", shall I leave Evernote online for a few hours to allow it to create the original offline database? Also, is there an indicator (* similar to my iPhone) that shows that the databases are "fully synced"?

Yes, it does take a few hours for the data to catch up. There is no indicator to confirm that the process has completed. Obviously it depends upon the size of your database but you can expect it to have settled in a day or so.

Remember that mobile devices work off line by default whereas desktop apps download everything by default.

18 hours ago, agsteele said:

Yes, it does take a few hours for the data to catch up. There is no indicator to confirm that the process has completed. Obviously it depends upon the size of your database but you can expect it to have settled in a day or so.

Remember that mobile devices work off line by default whereas desktop apps download everything by default.

Hi agsteele. Thanks again... progress continues. Here's an update on what we discussed yesterday. Before I upgraded, I made a copy of my legacy Evernote db: it was 16 GB. In the new EN, the "offline use" db is still updating. In  Windows File Explorer, I checked the "Evernote" properties: it is downloading at 200 MB per hour. So it will take 3-4 days for all of the 16 GB to download. Stay tuned : )

On 7/10/2023 at 4:33 PM, Duhtch said:

Hi agsteele. Thanks again... progress continues. Here's an update on what we discussed yesterday. Before I upgraded, I made a copy of my legacy Evernote db: it was 16 GB. In the new EN, the "offline use" db is still updating. In  Windows File Explorer, I checked the "Evernote" properties: it is downloading at 200 MB per hour. So it will take 3-4 days for all of the 16 GB to download. Stay tuned : )

The new EN apps "offline use" db continues to make progress. After 2 days of downloading, my 16 GB EN db has now loaded 9 GB into the "offline use" db. Within 1-2 more days, it should be done.

But I noticed something strange today. Between the EN online db (using Microsoft Edge) and the EN Windows app, the number of notes assigned to tags are not the same. In the EN online db, a particular tag (I selected at ramdom) has 26 assigned notes. In the EN Microsoft app, that tag only shows 9 assigned notes. This morning, that tag only had 7 assigned notes: but 2 additional notes appeared during the day. My assumption is as more notes get imported into the "offline use" db, the number of notes in each tag should eventually match between these two EN environments.

I will give an update once all of my 19527 notes have updated the "offline use" db.

Is this something that other users have noticed as your "offline use" db was being created?

• Level 5

The count will update with progress of the download.

When I loaded v10 for the first time, shortly after it became available in 2020 there was a gap between web and v10 on one side and legacy on the other.

After trying different options, it showed that the much hyped legacy database had silently collected database errors over time. I got them fixed, using the advanced hidden tools from the help menu.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The count will update with progress of the download.

When I loaded v10 for the first time, shortly after it became available in 2020 there was a gap between web and v10 on one side and legacy on the other.

After trying different options, it showed that the much hyped legacy database had silently collected database errors over time. I got them fixed, using the advanced hidden tools from the help menu.

Thanks, you're right. Since my last message, the sample tag I chose has increased from 9 to 13 notes. It's halfway to the 26 notes that are in the real EN db.

The EN online db and the EN Windows app both report 19528 notes: so that's comforting. As there's no indicator* which says the "offline use" db equals the real EN online db, should I assume that it is "fully synced" when the "Evernote Properties" 'size on disk' finishes downloading?

* I was hoping for an indicator similar to that on my iPhone. If I go to "Settings: Offline: Manage offline note", this provides a list of my 34 Notebooks. When it shows a dark arrow, it means the databases are aligned. If it is a light arrow, it means the sync is still in progress. I don't think that is a feature on the EN Windows app : (

• 2 months later...

Evernote is stored on your computer in the form of a local database file that contains all your notes and their associated data. This allows you to access your notes even without an internet connection. However, it's important to note that while your notes are stored locally, they are also synced to Evernote's servers in the cloud.

This means that if Evernote were to go out of business or change their business plan in a way that you can't continue using their service, you would still have access to your locally stored notes, but you might lose access to the cloud-based features and syncing. To ensure the safety of your data, it's a good practice to regularly export your notes as backup files, which you can store separately on your computer or in another cloud storage service.