(Archived) Extra toolbars in latest Evernote (1.10.0)

gkelman

Idea

How can I get ride of the extra toolbars that are now very intrusive in the latest version of Evernote? Between the note list and the note itself in the 3 pane view, there are 3 toolbars -

Changing fonts, Click to Set URL and Set Tag and Edit the title and notebook. Can I get rid of these, they're just taking up loads of space and don't need them?

9 replies to this idea

Yeah, those aren't the bits I want to hide. See the attached file for a screenshot of what I want to hide - The bit that says 'Click to set URL' and the font toolbar. They weren't so obtrusive in old versions of evernote, now it's just distracting.

post-9568-13190606684_thumb.png

• Level 5

To maximize my working space:

I removed icons at top of Evernote - right click on menu bar that starts with Synch in an empty space and select text only.

Toggled off the Show Editing Toolbar (view dropdown menu)

Toggled off the Show Search Explanation (view dropdown menu)

Enlarged Note List (F10) to fill 2/3rds of screen

Reduced Note Panel to 1/3rd of screen (just double click note for full screen size)

And sometimes when I want a lot of space, I'll toggle off the left panel (F11)

Yes, we rearranged the note headers to fit more details into the same space. In particular, you can now change the notebook for a note without opening the "More Info" panel, and you can see/open the original URL of a clipped web page. The "title" is also more clearly editable, and there's an easier way to expand the panel to see the rest of the information.

So I'm a little bit biased, but I think the new layout is an improvement. For comparison:

http://www.crunchbase.com/assets/images ... 1161v1.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

• Level 5*
Yes, we rearranged the note headers to fit more details into the same space. In particular, you can now change the notebook for a note without opening the "More Info" panel, and you can see/open the original URL of a clipped web page. The "title" is also more clearly editable, and there's an easier way to expand the panel to see the rest of the information.

I notices that the screenshot for the Mac client looked a little more compressed than that of the Windows client. Nice.

~Jeff

The info area might be the same as in the old version BUT it feels way heavier.

I'm not able to pinpoint the reasons (might be the lines) but the issue is big enough for me to create an account on this forum to complain :)

Also, the URL is less usable right now as I cannot view the entire URL as I'm quickly browsing the notes. It is also one step longer. Not a big issue but still...

The icons used might also have something to do with the perceived heaviness.

The "more info" to the left of the title is in my view big and ugly. Maybe icons with less contrast might do the trick, maybe replacing the icon with a simple "more" link in the bottom right corner. I don't know.

The one thing I do know is that the new info area is "stealing" way too much attention from the note. It is "heavier".

One other thing is the "search explanation" that now is visible even when I'm not searching anything. In the old version, that was a valuable clue to the fact that I'm looking for something (ADD people might empathize with this). Now is just strange to see it there all the time. I could just hide it but then I wouldn't have the assistance from it when I'm actually doing the search.

I would like to end by saying that I love the fact that you continuously try to improve things. I love the "alive" message that it gives, even if I'm bothered from time to time by the changes.

I'm very aware that all this problems that I'm having might be counterbalanced by more usability for some. I just hope for a solution that would please everybody.

Just to balance the discussion, I love the new look.

For me I work a different way. I always home in on the title/tag before reading the note, so I like my attention drawn to it.

The extra info screen with created date etc now takes up much less "real estate" which is much better.

As for the search bar. I use it all the time so to have it there is good for me. Maybe an option to hide on the "view menu" would help in a future release.

We all have different needs and it is impossible for Dave and his team to please us all, all of the time, but they do try.........

Archived