Death of Evernote Web?

I believe the last update to Evernote's Web Client was in 2014. It's 2018 and now it's reasonable to think that that was the final update ever to the web client. Perhaps it's inching towards total abandonment and then shut down.

I remember back in 2015 when Evernote said that they were making one common editor for all platforms and that this was going to fix a lot of bugs and:

Bulleted lists and pasted content will become sharper. Image and table handling will be amazing. Basic markdown will be a reality.

Years later, lists and pasted content features, that work in virtually every other program and platform, are still buggy in Evernote. Table handling in the web editor is shockingly awful; it's 2018 and you can't add or delete a column! Nor can you resize anything! Unless I'm missing something, markdown does not appear on the horizon. Fonts and font sizes switch around pretty randomly, even within a single note which happens to look fine on my Windows Evernote. (There are, of course, plenty of other >5-year-old bugs in Windows Evernote, though.) All of these problems are as old as Evernote itself.

And the era of updates to Evernote's Web client seems to be over.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

But my question remains:

Is Evernote Web headed for the scrap heap?

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Is Evernote Web headed for the scrap heap?...Perhaps it's inching towards total abandonment and then shut down.

There may have been updates in the backend; I agree there's been no visual updates in the UI

The web platform has always been my window to the master version of my data on the Evernote servers.  I see no reason for that to stop.

• Level 5*

I've wondered the same thing myself. It would be a shame; in the past, I've regarded the web client as a direct path to the correct versions of my notes that exist on the Evernote servers. Now, not so much, as the web client seems to have gone somewhat flaky, and is lagging behind the native clients in terms of obvious feature improvements. Another bad thing: the web client could serve as a gateway to Evernote for Linux users who don't care for the 3rd-party Evernote clients that are out there.

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

There may have been updates in the backend; I agree there's been no visual updates in the UI

The web platform has always been my window to the master version of my data on the Evernote servers.  I see no reason for that to stop.

It's not just *visual* updates that haven't happened. It's bug fixes that haven't happened. Basic features that haven't been updated. Tables are laughable. Fonts are infuriating. And, yes, the UI remains awful. They're all so bad that one could reasonably wonder if this stuff is bad on purpose to force people into the paid versions of Evernote while allowing them to claim that they give away a free version on the web.

Perhaps all those promises about a "common editor" was, at least with respect to the web version, just deliberately empty, meant to go unfulfilled for many years or decades and perhaps forever?

Will any Evernote employee like to state otherwise? I'm listening!

• 2 weeks later...

Has been mine too. Now I am seeing problems with the "old" web version on Chrome/Windows. This scares me,  since features that I use often have been broken on the Windows client since 6.6 through 6.10, still persisting. These are likely related to the "new editor"....

On 3/7/2018 at 9:37 PM, AndreasM said:

Android Clipper doesn't work for almost 3 months now. There are so many other not fixed bugs and issues, but Evernote is upgrading almost every week, bringing new so called features, nobody is asking for, nobody wants them. 

Ah, that explains why I can barely work anymore. Android  clipper is broken, the Windows features I use to clean up windows clippings (simplify formatting, remove formatting) are broken too, and the web version is not working either....

No chance recommending this for "business".

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, lhb said:

Ah, that explains why I can barely work anymore. Android  clipper is broken, the Windows features I use to clean up windows clippings (simplify formatting, remove formatting) are broken too, and the web version is not working either....

The Android clipper is working again, or at least seems to be: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/111412-clip-failed-error-on-android-for-clip-full-article/?do=findComment&comment=493584. Have you tried it recently?

Not yet. I'm traveling in what is considered an emerging country and don't update my phone and computer every day.

Trying to work with Evernote and finding workarounds for all bugs is kind of full time work. Especially if you use multiple platforms. 

I don't know much about the internals of the old web client, but I agree it's pretty dated. Fortunately we've been working on a new web client which is way better, and includes the common editor. It's currently available for businesses, but should be coming to personal as well (I personally would really like to use it too). If you're curious about it, all the screenshots/gifs here look like they've been taken from it.

1 hour ago, rezecib said:

I don't know much about the internals of the old web client, but I agree it's pretty dated. Fortunately we've been working on a new web client which is way better, and includes the common editor. It's currently available for businesses, but should be coming to personal as well (I personally would really like to use it too). If you're curious about it, all the screenshots/gifs here look like they've been taken from it.

This is good news!

When will the web client be released?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, AndreasM said:

Not sure why are you referring to this particular posting? This posting is over one months old and not correct anyway.

Because it's relevant to the Android web clipper, which is something that @lhb cited (and which I quoted). Do you need me to go back and highlight the reference to the Android web clipper in the quote for you?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, AndreasM said:

There is no need for that. Rather you follow your own reference and tell me what you found. A post about Android version 7.16.1 which was worse than the original prpblem.

As I mentioned, installing Android version 7.17.1 makes the Android clipper working now in most cases.

The information is fine as it is, since if 7.17.1 is out, then you can't update to a version older than that anyways, at least easily. Short form: the web clipper is largely  -- but not totally -- fixed. If @lhb, the person I responded, to finds the information unhelpful, I'd be happy to elaborate. Hopefully they'll just update, find that it's working for them, and they can move on.

• 1 month later...

came here because I'm stuck on web client for some notes I still have on evernote (moved away a lot of things from this, sadly now very crappy, service) and I've discovered I just cannote delete or modify a table... this is really a nonsense.

well I'll start from scratch on onenote where I have now most of my data (or on joplin, that seems promising https://joplin.cozic.net/)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, lucac81 said:

I've discovered I just cannote delete or modify a table

The Win/Mac client software have a function to create or modify tables.5addc9ebf13a5_ScreenShot2018-04-23at04_56_09.png.646445cea9362383078b5e0d30624f6d.png
This is not a function on the web platform.

I'm not clear on why you're having a deletion problem.

Just now, DTLow said:

The Win/Mac client software have a function to create or modify tables.
This is not a function on the web platform.

I'm not clear on why you're having a deletion problem.

I'm on linux, with no access to a native client because evernote doesn't care about the platform, so only web client remains, and web client apparently just doesn't have tables management, so I'm stuck with delete a note completely just to edit a table

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, lucac81 said:

I'm on linux, with no access to a native client because evernote doesn't care about the platform

Confirmed; Evernote does not have native software for the linux platform.
Linux users rely on the web platform, or one of the clone applications.

Also confirmed: The web platform does not have table management functionality
However editing a note allows deletion of table elements.

Archived