Updated a note extensively at work. Got home and my old note overwrote my new one with no warning

This needs to be written as a bug somewhere. When a note has been edited from two different clients by the same user, there should be a warning before the outdated client saves. I got home from work and tried to navigate my Evernote and before I even knew what I was looking at, my old note permanently overwrote the newer version.

If history is reserved for premium members, at least give the free members the ability to undo. 

• Level 5*

Evernote has a sync process that works at updating each device with the most current version.  
Sometimes this confused when users are editing the same note on different devices.

There is a Note History backup function to restore notes to a previous version.  More details here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-access-and-use-note-history

39 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote has a sync process that works at updating each device with the most current version.  
Sometimes this confused when users are editing the same note on different devices.

There is a Note History backup function to restore notes to a previous version.  More details here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-access-and-use-note-history

That feature is for premium members. The real solution here is to warn users when the older version of a note is about to overwrite a newer version. A simple pop-up to help the user keep the version they want is a must in these situations. 

• Level 5

That might be a good idea. In the meantime, is there a notebook called "Conflicting changes"? Evernote should create this and put the different versions of the note there in a case like this. Also, it is possible to sign up for one month of Premium and then cancel. You'll get access to your note history, even from before you signed up.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Shadoninja said:

The real solution here is to warn users when the older version of a note is about to overwrite a newer version. A simple pop-up to help the user keep the version they want is a must in these situations. 

In the meantime, the standard rule to prevent this and note conflicts is to be sure and sync whenever you enter/exit a device.

6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

That might be a good idea. In the meantime, is there a notebook called "Conflicting changes"? Evernote should create this and put the different versions of the note there in a case like this. Also, it is possible to sign up for one month of Premium and then cancel. You'll get access to your note history, even from before you signed up.

I didn't have the conflicting changes folder. I think I know what happened: I created a note without officially hitting the done button (something that is only visible when first creating a note). I went to work and edited the note all day. Came home and instinctively hit the done button and overwrote my changes. That may not be exactly what happened, but I think it was something like that.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, Shadoninja said:

I didn't have the conflicting changes folder. I think I know what happened: I created a note without officially hitting the done button (something that is only visible when first creating a note). I went to work and edited the note all day. Came home and instinctively hit the done button and overwrote my changes. That may not be exactly what happened, but I think it was something like that.

Yeah, sounds like that would do it.  What platform(s) were you using (Mac, Windows, Android, Web, etc.)?

• Level 5
On 3/7/2018 at 8:13 PM, Shadoninja said:

I think I know what happened: I created a note without officially hitting the done button (something that is only visible when first creating a note). I went to work and edited the note all day. Came home and instinctively hit the done button and overwrote my changes.

The fact that you didn't hit the Done button might explain why there's no conflicting changes notebook, since what you did at home didn't fully sync, and therefore couldn't be conflicted with. Assuming that the note synced after you edited it at work, those edits should be in the note history, which you could access by signing up for Premium for one month (after which you could cancel it).

I'm a little puzzled about the Done button. In the Web interface, I still see it when I have a note open to edit, all the while I'm editing it. Anyway, if those changes at work are worth the cost of a 1-month Premium subscription, that might be the way to go.

Archived