How to search text in pictures inside notes?

I can find notes which contain text inside pictures using Shift + Windows + f.

When I open a note with picture-text matching my search string, the search string is highlighted where it appears in the pitures (and text).

But I would like to be able to jump (aka. browse) through the matching strings within a note, just like pressing enter jumps to the next match inside a note after a search using ctrl + f.

Is this possible?

This would be beneficial when searching for strings in pictures in notes with many pictures, because it takes a long time to look through note (with your eyes) to find match inside a long note, even if the match is highlighted. I would think there is a way for evernote to do this, because it has already found all the matches, I just can't seem to find a way to automatically browse through them.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, rasmuslarsen said:

Is this possible?

Yes. Select the note you want, and type Ctrl+F. At the bottom of the note display, this will open up the find/replace panel. Type the search text there. You should be able to use the ^ Next / ^ Previous buttons to navigate through the text instances.

Thanks for the answer. However it does not seem to work on my machine. 

I am talking about text in images, not just normal text in notes (which works fine).

I can find the text-in-images  from the general search. Below I use the general search to find notes with the word "adjacent" which is found inside pictures in the note "Trig Cheat Sheet.pdf" 

image.thumb.png.7ce8224ba45303a6a7a50a8223362456.png

But when I search inside the same note, the text-in-pictures is not found:

image.thumb.png.636827a36aac48ae4887960a7d493a8f.png

Notice that no match is found when I search text-in-images inside the note, although the same text-in-images was actually found when doing the general search (previous picture).

Is is possible to find text-in-images from searching inside notes? Does this work for anyone?

• Level 5*

I did a screen capture of the above and it seems to be working for me.  Don't know if your issue is related to having the PDF and image in the same note?

ScreenClip.png.9e04129b71de9f5625a7a9c20d12b9e3.png

Thanks for the responses. However, it seems they miss the point. So I will try to express myself more clearly.

There are 2 ways to search in Evernote: 

1. Search all notes (no problem here)

image.thumb.png.dfbedbee26705a27a36d589d39c84981.png

As is evident from the picture above, I do not have problems finding text in images in this type of search.  This is type of search is what CalS is referring to doing in his response. 

2.  Search the current note (here I have problems)

This search is obtained by ctrl + f, when the cursor is active inside the note. This is what Jefito is reffering to, but it is unclear whether he is able to search for text inside pictures, using this type of search.

Anyways, for me this does NOT work: I search for "adjacent" but no matches are found.

image.png.03aee653ae1087a93e128caecd176dd9.png

I hope the problem is more clearly described now.

So my question is: Is it possible to search for text in pictures inside a specific note AND jump through the matches?

image.png

• Level 5*

A simple test (just copy your image into a note) reveals you can find text in pictures through the search bar, but not using Ctrl-F.  So the answer would be no, again, based upon a simple test.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/4/2018 at 2:46 PM, rasmuslarsen said:

2.  Search the current note (here I have problems)

This search is obtained by ctrl + f, when the cursor is active inside the note. This is what Jefito is reffering to, but it is unclear whether he is able to search for text inside pictures, using this type of search.

I specifically tested this for finding text inside of pictures, but I had a bad example: by virtue of the HTML formatting, there was actual text overlaying an image (the text looked like it was part of the image, but really wasn't), and so Ctrl+F / Next/Previous would step through occurrences of the text. I found a different note with actual recognition text, and you cannut use Ctrl+F to find that text.

My mistake, and sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hello there,

Bumping this topic as a new user.

Exact same issue. I, as a student, take a lot of notes. Many of these involve pasting contents of the windows "snipping tool" (Cant seem to justify using the clipper) from google, other programs. I just want to simply search and "jump" to my content instead of scrolling over and over in vain attempts to find the actual word that has been OCRed. 

Any solutions?

Thank you

Update:

Great news, this 'request' has been 'passed onto the development team'... hahhaha :) . In the meantime, thank you to whoever suggested using the android app's evernote search function.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, RooRoo said:

Hello there,

Bumping this topic as a new user.

Exact same issue. I, as a student, take a lot of notes. Many of these involve pasting contents of the windows "snipping tool" (Cant seem to justify using the clipper) from google, other programs. I just want to simply search and "jump" to my content instead of scrolling over and over in vain attempts to find the actual word that has been OCRed. 

Any solutions?

Thank you

Update:

Great news, this 'request' has been 'passed onto the development team'... hahhaha :) . In the meantime, thank you to whoever suggested using the android app's evernote search function.

Hello!

This issue is still persisting with the windows version.

Can you please elaborate how this is working in Evernote Android app's search function. I've tried searching text written on a photo in android app, but it is only returning the relevant note and the searched / found text is not even being highlighted.

Thank You. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2019 at 2:50 PM, Arslan said:

Hello!

This issue is still persisting with the windows version.

Can you please elaborate how this is working in Evernote Android app's search function. I've tried searching text written on a photo in android app, but it is only returning the relevant note and the searched / found text is not even being highlighted.

Thank You. 

Hi, did you end up reaching out to their support chat? Maybe update to the latest version? Mine just...does

• 1 year later...

I'm having this issue. I'm guessing they're never going to fix it. One option you would have is to place the note into its own notebook and search that notebook. Terrible workaround, but workaround nonetheless.

Edit: I didn't have the latest version, I had v6. V10 does have this feature and it works quite well.  LOL

Edited by . . .
I didn't have the latest version. DERP!