Implemented: Recent Notes List - Need Option to Disable Display

DTLow

Idea

16 replies to this idea

• Version 7.0.2 (456267 App Store)
  • Editor: 1.38.3824 (68bd1c0)
Dear Evernote team,

I love the product, I think the work you're doing is amazing, and super useful. One of the features in the current release (see above) made my life a little tricky.

With this new release Recent Notes were made a part of the Favourites section on the Sidebar. 

I have a lot of personal content in Evernote, I also use Evernote at work all the time. When I use Evernote on the big monitors in the office, I don't want to be showing to half my office the titles of my personal notes that now pop up in Recent notes section. In previous versions I always disabled Related Notes, or Recent Notes features because I don't want them popping up at inappropriate times on my screen. Now I no longer have that option. Please add it back. Privacy is an important concern, and I want to have full control of what notes / note titles appear on my screen. In the interim I'm no longer going to use the Shortcuts section which is quite inconvenient, because it is very useful. I just want to be able to fully curate what goes in there.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you.

Also posted here: 
  • Like 2

The issue still remains - there doesn't seem to be a way to disable recent notes.

This is market as 'implemented' but it seems to have been removed from the most recent update (v10.3.7) - can you mark this as 'unimplemented' please.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Mark. said:

but it seems to have been removed from the most recent update (v10.3.7)

You could post a new request in the Version 10 forums

On 6/3/2018 at 12:36 AM, Ilya P. said:

I have a lot of personal content in Evernote, I also use Evernote at work all the time. When I use Evernote on the big monitors in the office, I don't want to be showing to half my office the titles of my personal notes that now pop up in Recent notes section. In previous versions I always disabled Related Notes, or Recent Notes features because I don't want them popping up at inappropriate times on my screen. Now I no longer have that option. Please add it back. Privacy is an important concern, and I want to have full control of what notes / note titles appear on my screen. In the interim I'm no longer going to use the Shortcuts section which is quite inconvenient, because it is very useful. I just want to be able to fully curate what goes in there.

I agree very much with these concerns. The Recent Notes feature can potentially compromise privacy.

To add to this, some of the notes I have in Evernote, I actually never want to see or be reminded of ever again once I am done with them. 

The consequence for me has been to downgrade to 6.13.3 in order to still be able to use shortcuts, which in turn, is incredibly useful.

• Like 3

Just downgraded to Evernote 6.13.3 and I would stick to it until the option is implemented.

If you want to downgrade,

1. Make sure you have all notes synced and you don't have Local Notebooks.
  2. Quit the app entirely
  3. Move the Evernote app to trash
  4. Kill /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/ with fire
  5. Download Evernote 6.13.3 from this post or the direct link to download.
  6. Decompress the downloaded zip. You will get an Evernote app version 6.13.3.
  7. Drag the Evernote app to the Applications folder.
  8. Run it and sign in.
  9. Enjoy!

Yes please provide a separate setting to disable recent notes! I'm sure there are people that love it, but for many people it's just taking up space, creating a distraction or compromising their privacy.

For me personally, it just drives me nuts. I want to put things in their place, not have things jumping around. It takes more time and mental energy to scan a recent list in hopes of finding the note I was recently viewing then to just go to where I know where to find it.

• Like 2

I certainly agree with the comments here. In a separate version this had been a problem for a couple weeks a year or two ago after an update. It went away then, and I wish quality control would've prevented it from coming back again. I hope we are able to see this repaired soon.

Add me to the list of people who'd like the option to hide the 'Recent Notes' section.

I have no use for it and it gets in the way of how I like to have the sidebar configured, causing unnecessary scrolling and only really adding visual clutter to my nice neat setup.

The rest of the app refresh I like a lot though.

• Like 2

This is marked as "Implemented" and Evernote did take all the complaints and frustrations into consideration and removed the the "Recent Notes" that were causing so many productivity and privacy concerns with users, but now with 10.4.4 they decided to bring it back?