Children's artwork - save as image or document?

Hi everyone,

I am really new to Evernote and have been trying to search the forums for this answer.

I want to save my kids artwork to Evernote most of which are drawings/ paintings. What is the best practice when it comes to artwork and drawings?  I know for more 3D type stuff I plan to just take it as a photo but should the drawings/ paintings be taken as a picture also or as a colored document when using the Android or apple app?

Thank you for anyone's input.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, itsmejson said:

What is the best practice when it comes to artwork and drawings? 

For the best quality I'd use a camera app instead of the camera bundled in Evernote's editor.

That said, I use the camera app in Evernote and Scannable.  I find the quality fine for my use.

I would save art as an image.

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

For the best quality I'd use a camera app instead of the camera bundled in Evernote's editor.

That said, I use the camera app in Evernote and Scannable.  I find the quality fine for my use.

I would save art as an image.

Thank you for your input! Do you save any type of artwork as a PDF or just as an image?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, itsmejson said:

Thank you for your input! Do you save any type of artwork as a PDF or just as an image?

I don't have any specifications; just a general feeling that the best quality is maintained when I use the image format.

• Level 5*

For photos, I don’t use the document feature of Evernote’s scanning features (artwork as opposed to an electric bill). And, I don’t see any benefits for PDFs. 

I take a photo (iphone camera app) , trimming or adjusting it before I export it to Evernote. One benefit of images is that text and handwriting will be recognized in them. Evernote does have text recognition for PDFs, but it isn’t optimized for handwriting, so the results won’t be so great.

In addition, at least on iOS, images display inline, even when not connected to the Internet, so you can easily browse.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

In Android the major difference between picture and PDF formats is visibility.  PDFs don't (yet) show inline on mobile - they're an icon that requires a download.  They do display thumbnails in the note index view,  but on a mobile that's rather small.

Pictures do display as thumbnails and inline when the note opens,  so it's better for general accessibility to use that format.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, itsmejson said:

I want to save my kids artwork to Evernote most of which are drawings/ paintings.

I wanted to point out that in my posts I reference quality of the image.

One aspect of quality is resolution, and the ability to print the image.  

You don't need high resolution to display the image on your screen.  

If you ever want to print the  image as a poster, you should be saving it with the highest resolution possible.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Switching gears I have a few questions regarding documents themselves, whether it be statements paystubs etc.  I have downloaded Scannable and started using it on my recent mail I have received.  When using scannable or even a scansnap do you prefer to scan all documents in B&W or color?

Ive been reading tips first taking the scans and OCR'ing them before sending into evernote.  So when you use scannable do you export the scans to say google drive to be ocr'd then send to evernote?  As of right now for me scannable is automatically sending new scans directly into evernote.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, itsmejson said:

Thank you everyone for your input.

Switching gears I have a few questions regarding documents themselves, whether it be statements paystubs etc.  I have downloaded Scannable and started using it on my recent mail I have received.  When using scannable or even a scansnap do you prefer to scan all documents in B&W or color?

Ive been reading tips first taking the scans and OCR'ing them before sending into evernote.  So when you use scannable do you export the scans to say google drive to be ocr'd then send to evernote?  As of right now for me scannable is automatically sending new scans directly into evernote.

I use the Scannable app.  I use colour mode; I see little benefit in b&w mode that would justify losing colours

I send the scan directly to Evernote in pdf format.

Evernote has an OCR feature for search purposes, but OCR isn't that important to me.  I make sure the note title contains the important information, and I add tags to the note.

My search views are tag based.  If I do a text search it's intitle:

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

I use the Scannable app.  I use colour mode; I see little benefit in b&w mode that would justify losing colours

I send the scan directly to Evernote in pdf format.

Evernote has an OCR feature for search purposes, but OCR isn't that important to me.  I make sure the note title contains the important information, and I add tags to the note.

My search views are tag based.  If I do a text search it's intitle:

I like how you keep things simple.  I was getting caught up in a complex process of phone -> google drive -> evernote.

I wish there was the scannable app for android.  Android is my primary phone that I carry and hate that android evernote app doesn't have an option to save as pdf instead a colored document is stored as a png file.

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate everyone's input. I've been using your input for the past couple weeks and it has been working beautifully. 

For those of you that have a Fujitsu scanner do you still find a ton of use out it even though you use scannable or Evernote Android app?

I'm thinking of getting a scansnap but just trying to figure out if it would be money well spent. Most of the documents I would be scanning would be related to personal paperwork and not business related.

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-10 at 12:25 PM, itsmejson said:

Appreciate everyone's input. I've been using your input for the past couple weeks and it has been working beautifully. 

For those of you that have a Fujitsu scanner do you still find a ton of use out it even though you use scannable or Evernote Android app?

I'm thinking of getting a scansnap but just trying to figure out if it would be money well spent. Most of the documents I would be scanning would be related to personal paperwork and not business related.

I have a budget all in one scanner/printer at home and never use it.  I use the Scanable app on my iPad.

It depends on your requirements.  

• Do you need quality scanning where you control the settings?   
  • sheet feeder?
  • 2 sided scanning

>>I'm thinking of getting a scansnap but just trying to figure out if it would be money well spent.

I use one at the office.  My impression is top of the line, but $$.  I really have no preference, I use whatever scanner is available.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, itsmejson said:

Kind of your call.  I have used a ScanSnap for quite a while now, got it initially to go paperless and work through some older documents.  Does a great job, OCRs the documents, and easy to create profiles for different scan processes.  Don't think I would use it for artwork, but fine for everything else.  At $250 more or less I view it as a good purchase.  FWIW.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread but thought I would share my two cents in case it becomes active again..

The big benefit in having a Scansnap is time. Not only for scanning a 30 page printout (for example), but also for how quickly and accurately it scans a page. No fiddling about with border detection, or wondering how you'll make a curled up document sit flat, just pop it in and away you go. Sure it's expensive, and you'll still use your mobile here and there, but over time and as an investment it is well worth it imo. There's a lot of paper out there.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 years later...
On 20.11.2018 at 14:35, BJD said:

I know this is an old thread but thought I would share my two cents in case it becomes active again..

The big benefit in having a Scansnap is time. Not only for scanning a 30 page printout (for example), but also for how quickly and accurately it scans a page. No fiddling about with border detection, or wondering how you'll make a curled up document sit flat, just pop it in and away you go. Sure it's expensive, and you'll still use your mobile here and there, but over time and as an investment it is well worth it imo. There's a lot of paper out there.

No matter how, the main thing is to save something. This is much easier to do these days. Wit history is all we have. I recently read about art history, used https://studymoose.com/free-essays/art-history for that. I had no idea that art existed for so long. I advise everyone to read about art, especially in ancient times.

since you put in your 2 kopecks, then I want to add, without thinking that the discussion is old.