Warning when Moving Notes to Shared Notebook

FlyingRock

Idea

In the latest Evernote version there is now a warning about moving notes into a shared folder.  As someone that moves notes to a shared folder constantly, the additional click in my workflow is annoying.  There should be a way to suppress this warning.  Either a field when creating the shared notebook, or possibly just a checkbox on the warning itself "Do not show this warning again."  I'm fine with a warning, but just make sure the warning can be suppressed.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 1.41.07 PM.png

47 replies to this idea

Upvoted - I really really hate this new "feature" - I would really love a "Don't show again checkbox"  When dealing with lots of notes that get moved to and from different shared/non-shared folders, this is really annoying!

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, notetakeingguy said:

What version did this feature start with, so I can go download a version before this from FileHipp?

The current 'vanilla' version that a few users have moved to (for other reasons) is 6.7.5 - linked from here:

Maybe someone currently using that version can confirm it's warning-free?

Sorry all - that was (obviously) the wrong OS.  Must remember:  always read the forum name before posting.  Always read.... :blush:

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, notetakeingguy said:

What version did this feature start with, so I can go download a version before this from FileHipp?

Looking at the first post in this thread, the date Feb 22 is identified.

I can go back through the release notes, example below.  The post also includes a link to download the app.

On 2/25/2018 at 12:17 PM, damian said:

I just submitted a support request for this too (Ticket 2408065):

Every time I move a note to a shared notebook (which is every time I move a note), I now get a warning about "People this notebook is shared with ...".

I can't see a way to switch off this warning, and it is rapidly becoming really really really annoying. Really. I understand the need to display it once, but please let me turn it off once I've acknowledged it.

I have two notebooks ("inbox" and "personal"). Stuff comes into "inbox" and I tag it and then move it to "personal" which is shared with my wife. Having to acknowledge this message every single time I move a note is intensely annoying , especially when trying to file a hundred notes at the end of the month.

Please give me an option to turn it off.

This just started on my application.  It is driving me nuts.  This should be an optional warning (that only an idiot would keep on).

These "upgrades" are really starting to wear me out. I can no longer move PDF files to and from notes because of the new PDF viewer. Now, I have to take an extra step each and every time just to move a note! What gives?

It seems that Evernote is causing a decrease in my productivity with these updates rather than an increase. When I look for solutions to these problems, all I see are other people complaining about the same problems that never get resolved. It's a shame, but I am going to have to start exploring other options for similar software. Evernote has always been a huge part of my day that made life easier. Now, each update brings new problems.

Listen to your subscribers....PLEASE! 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, mward1308 said:

These "upgrades" are really starting to wear me out

So, don't upgrade.  
If there are no changes that interest you; or you can't work with the discovered bugs,
don't upgrade, or downgrade to a previous version.

If your comment is on the shared notebook notification, I understand Evernote is responding to user posts - further details at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/113274-evernote-for-windows-612-beta-2/?do=findComment&comment=503446

I initially thought I had missed the button to disable the "Change Warning". 

But apparently not, the possibility to disable the warning does not exist !

It should have been pretty simple and pretty obvious to add a checkbox "don't warn again for this notebook".

PLEASE EVERNOTE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. WE KNOW BETTER THAN YOU HOW WE USE THE APP !

On 4/25/2018 at 3:07 AM, DTLow said:

So, don't upgrade.  
If there are no changes that interest you; or you can't work with the discovered bugs,
don't upgrade, or downgrade to a previous version.

You're kidding, aren't you ?

• Level 5*
On 2018-04-06 at 6:56 PM, notetakeingguy said:

I hate this feature too. Where do I vote for this?

Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion.5ae375c7bdea5_ScreenShot2018-04-27at12_10_37.png.fd352d7dc49436c03392e517c9811674.png

On 4/27/2018 at 1:03 PM, FlyingRock said:

Whoa!  This sounds like good news.  Acknowledged that they too think it's an issue, and maybe even a promised fix!  Let's see what happens!

Thank goodness. This "feature" was driving me nuts. Up voted to disable this dialog.

No update at this point.  5 months and counting.  Oh well. 

Unfortunately I have started to see a further deterioration of shared notebook functionality.  Specifically my wife (also a premium subscriber) is no longer able to merge notes within our shared notebook.  I can merge notes, but I originally created the shared notebook.  When she tries to merge notes, the Mac version of  Evernote doesn't even show the option.  Also when she moves notes into the shared notebook, it copies the note in, instead of moving it.  So she ends up with 2 copies, one in the the original notebook, and 1 in the shared notebook.  One silly perk of this functionality is that she doesn't get the Move warning referenced in this thread!

The challenge for us is that solution to our problem is rather obvious.  And it doesn't involve upgrading to the business version for us to pay $15 * 2 people * 12 months.  It actually involves us becoming a single user and saving 50% on our premium bill.

This disaster occurred with 7.0 and i complained about it then. Now, almost a year later, it still has not been fixed. I have a regular/personal premium account, not a business account. I have a notebook i share with some friends. I don't need to be notified 10 times a day that i am moving a note to a shared notebook. There obviously should be a check box so that when the warning pops up, you can uncheck the box to tell evernote not to notify you again. Standard programming on Mac apps, except for Evernote. And yes, i voted on this.

Dear Evernote Team,

please include a checkbox not to show this warning in the future.

While I understand that you feel you need to dummy-proof this feature, I assure you that some of your customers are not imbeciles. This is particularly nerve-wracking for those users who have high engagement with the App, since they are confronted with this message frequently. This is not the customer segment you want to annoy ;-) 

And, should we customers make the mistake of moving something after having elected to suppress the warning message, then you will have CYA and we will be fully accountable for our error. 

Best regards,

A customer who is locked-in to the services because of the stickiness of past uploaded content but waiting for the annoyance level to reach a critical level to bite the bullet and make a switch. 

Hey, any movement on this?  This Spaced Evernote is so much not an improvement.  This is what they sent me, from Evernote Support - I'm so embarrassed to tell this to my client:

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. I'm Ben, and I will be helping you. [hilarious! What do they feed these kids?]

This pop-up is a warning message to be sure the content that is going to be shared is shared with the right persons inside your business account.

There is no option today to disable this feature, but I'll be happy to talk with our product team about it.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Evernote Support

Okay, Get up off the floor.  Stop laughing.  Poor Ben has no idea how inane this sounds.  Poor Ben was told this by the folks in the Evernote Team, and seeing as Ben doesn't have to do anything with his day other than work for Evernote, he doesn't even have a clue how much this stops people who DONT work for Evernote, from getting anything done, other than learning the new Evernote.  Look at all the options I have to affect the post here on their forum. But no choice to shut off the warning that the note I'm putting into a shared notebook is actually going to be shared with the same people that the notebook is shared with. 

Yikes.  I'd put in a Yikes emoticon, but they aren't working right now.  I know, get back off the floor and stop laughing.  I've got work to do. 

Fab Mandy Watson. ECC  at Fabulous Filing Friends

Falkland British Columbia, Canada

• Level 5*

Haven't seen that one yet (Android and Windows here) but I agree that should be a standard for all warnings in all clients - with (of course) the matching Option/ Preference to switch such messages back on if the lack of a warning proves too hazardous... ;)

I just submitted a support request for this too (Ticket 2408065):

Every time I move a note to a shared notebook (which is every time I move a note), I now get a warning about "People this notebook is shared with ...".

I can't see a way to switch off this warning, and it is rapidly becoming really really really annoying. Really. I understand the need to display it once, but please let me turn it off once I've acknowledged it.

I have two notebooks ("inbox" and "personal"). Stuff comes into "inbox" and I tag it and then move it to "personal" which is shared with my wife. Having to acknowledge this message every single time I move a note is intensely annoying , especially when trying to file a hundred notes at the end of the month.

Please give me an option to turn it off.

Crazy!  The whole point of Evernote Business is to share notes in shared notebooks!  Seriously? 

Has anything been done about this?  Or are we all out here, telling each other what Evernote staff doesn't know, because they don't actually use Evernote?  Very frustrating indeed to tell our Corporate President, "oh yeah - other users on the forum have noticed this too, but I can't reach anyone who works for Evernote".  Sad. 

Thanks "gazumped"  for finding this for me.  Now I know he's not doing anything wrong, it's just Evernote not thinking things thru. 

The clue is "shared notebook". Duh. 

Done.  My tickie numba is Ticket# 2409619 - ECC - client with MAC wants to stop pop up windows when adding a new note to shared notebook

Submitted 2018 02 26 08:08 PST

Crazy that I have so many choices of font size and type in an internal blog/forum, but I can't share a note in a shared notebook without getting warned.  What if your virus protection software found a problem, then asked you if it was worth blocking, or just add it to your accepted websites list.....

This is not a cute application - it's an organization tool - particularly the Evernote Business application.  It could be THE way we release ourselves from paper and disorganization, on a corporate level.  I feel there is too much time spent on templates and cuteness, and the problems aren't getting solved.  Again, my solution is to have the Evernote employees using Evernote - no more apps and no more new colourful templates.  

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

@damian has submitted a support ticket; we can submit our own tickets

FYI the support person sympathized with the situation but said that this was expected behavior and suggested I post here.  Let me know if anyone gets a different response.

that this feature was flagged through shocks my confidence in Evernote developers, thanks for submitting support tickets, looking forward seeing the zombie removed

Just an update, this "feature" has now shown up on my iPhone version of Evernote as well.  I didn't have an expectation that it was an iOS only feature, just disappointed that it has spread to my phone as well now.

I hate this change sooo much.  I import dozens of notes a day into a shared inbox and this just added a step to organizing and cataloging every single one of them.  Booo.  

Going to go open another ticket.  For now I'm just letting the notes pile up hoping it will get changed before I have to move them all and dismiss hundreds of useless alerts.  

Edit:  Ticket  #2416079 submitted

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jackson.Jeff said:

Guess I'll have to un-share my daily logbook so I don't have to deal with this ~25 times a day for the few months until they fix it.  I move notes around a *LOT*

As a work-around, I use a script to reassign the notebook; I never see the warning message.5ac6af6288873_ScreenShot2018-04-05at16_20_47.png.f785209d4336e5f7a51bda706090838c.png

39 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Please give us an option to be reminded or not. This is very annoying.

It gets worse, unfortunately.  Evernote developers believe this is an enhancement, to help us with SPACES.  See following reply from Evernote Support.  Interestingly, this one doesn't disclose name....

Hello fabulousfilingfriend,

Hi Mandy,

Thank you for getting back to me.

We have today no plan to remove this warning pop-up. With the introduction of Spaces for Evernote Business, moving notes can have consequences and we want to make sure you understand the changes involved. I shared your feedback with the product team, but I can't guarantee you this interface element will change soon.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Regards,

Evernote Support

Evernote

6 hours ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Please give us an option to be reminded or not. This is very annoying.

NO!  Don't "remind" customers that the product they are paying for is actually going to do what it's supposed to be doing.  Perhaps Evernote Business users that DONT GET IT that the notes they put in shared notebooks will in fact be shared should not have notebooks shared with them.  Or scissors for that matter.  Is that what's next?  Warning labels on scissors that things placed between the blades may in fact be cut? Really?? 

I'm really curious to know what market sector Evernote is aiming to please with this latest SPACED Evernote for Business. 

- Fab Mandy, ECC @ Fabulous Filing Friends, Falkland, British Columbia CANADA

Em 14/03/2018 at 18:34, Fabulous Filing Friends disse:

It gets worse, unfortunately.  Evernote developers believe this is an enhancement, to help us with SPACES.  See following reply from Evernote Support.  Interestingly, this one doesn't disclose name....

But the warning is on regular account! I have most of my notebooks shared with the wife. 9 out of 10 notes that move from .inbox to a folder I get the warning. 

Perhaps they should limit the functionality to Business accounts that are using the SPACES feature. It is not available to Everyone. I think you have to opt in at this time.

10 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

All my notes go through my inbox notebook

I  use a script to process the notes; title, tags, subject date, and notebook

I don't see the warning message

Perhaps because I have two accounts: business and personal. The warning is on my personal notes.

I just noticed that the text is in English and my installation is in Portuguese.

5aab1a6cc435c_CapturadeTela2018-03-15as22_13_32.thumb.png.7c8e10ec3c72caf125383d8d4cec1b35.png

• Level 5*

Just to confirm,  I have a single Premium account - plus a couple of Basics...  Running the latest Windows beta 6.10.3 I get no warnings when I move a note into a shared notebook (and don't want any,  thanks...)

Fine with the concept, but not having the option to turn it off is a terrible design choice.  It dramatically increases the amount of time it takes for me to share files into a business notebook, of which I have many per day.

Please, please fix this.

+1 to this being incredibly annoying. Especially since it seems (on the Mac at least) that since that same release you can no longer create a new note in a specific Notebook anymore?  So every note I create triggers that popup when I move it.

Archived