new keyboard tricks

pidloop

In a recent update there was mention of some new keyboarding tricks. I remember a few such as * to start a list item and [] to insert a todo button. These are super, I use them all the time now.

There were more but I can not find any of them in the help. Where can I get a complete list? The one I wish I could recall at the moment is how to start a code block.

Thanks.

Thanks, I found those easily but those are not what I am talking about. Please read my original post. There are sequences of normal keys that create formatting features. For example, typing * to start a new list item or [] to insert a TODO checkbox. The one I am looking for is the one to create a code block.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, pidloop said:

There are sequences of normal keys that create formatting features

It's more commonly referred to as MarkDown coding or AutoFormat

Evernote has some basic features.  A list would be nice; I have trouble keeping track of the various codes

For full MD support, you would want to switch to a dedicated editor.  MD files can be stored in Evernote as an attachment to a note

@pidloop -- sorry, I read too quickly.    I am in agreement with @DTLow "For full MD support, you would want to switch to a dedicated editor."   I am using Visual Studio Code free and available on both Windows and Mac (I used both) and the behavior is very similar on both.    It includes basic markdown support along with plenty of extensions - https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/languages/markdown

• Level 5

In the Evernote Windows program, in Tools > Options > Note > Note editing options, these are referred to as "Automatically format text elements." And that dialog might be as good a list as one will get. I used Evernote's screen clipper to grab it and saved it to a note. Here it is: 

5a908644eb478_Evernoteautoformatting.png.ec0254c502bb5da8e7114fbf56fa8908.png

@Dave-in-Decatur yes, thank you, that’s exactly what I’m looking for (finally someone who is paying attention ;))

I sent in a help ticket and EN support told me these are not yet in the Help system anywhere, so no wonder I couldn’t find them.

For those interested, a code block (a section of mono-spaced font in a visually separate space) can be created with three backtics followed by a space .. works great on my iPad.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, pidloop said:

For those interested, a code block (a section of mono-spaced font in a visually separate space) can be created with three backtics followed by a space .. works great on my iPad.

This list is available in iPad > Settings > Notes > Advanced Editing

850A73DB-611E-442D-B4AE-59D7BCEA0D26.thumb.jpeg.a4ba0e86f8b0193cf5a1c2861f8c488e.jpeg

Mac platform is still a mystery

Heh thanks, didn't know about the divider thingy.

I tried these on my iMac and they do work, but I too don't see them listed anywhere.

Only reason I knew about these at all was I happened to see them in the release notes from a recent update. Otherwise they are quite buried. But I'm glad I saw them, now I use them a lot.

Archived