go take a look at Nimbus Note

also full note encryption (entire note with pics)

local notebooks on desktop

full sync with mobile

ability to edit a clip before committing it to server

free 100 mb per month plus unlimited devices

more....take a look !

• Level 5*

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion to leave Evernote and use another service, but I think it'd help more if you gave reasons instead of posting again and again in the forums about it. It seems to closely mimic the Evernote UI, but is missing a ton of features for a similar price, so I don't see the appeal myself. Is there a Nimbus community like this? Anyhow, best of luck with Nimbus. Thanks for joining the community here.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, jefito said:

Reported this and previous NimbusNote posts from this userĀ as spam. If the off-topic discussion subforum was still around (or I could find it), I'd have moved it there. *shrug*

Not sure who named you the spam cop...but no....I originally posted on the Android forum due to the frustrations all users are having with the android clip function which has been inoperative for over a month.Ā  Since Nimbus Note seems to have much of the functionality that people are looking for, I recommended that people take a look at it. I am a paid EV premium customer and have been for years.Ā  I have had my share of issues with the product and have had to deal with a mostly unresponsive support team,

I also posted on this forum because it is an fyi to anybody using the evernote suite of products.

Ā 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, gesshoom said:

I also posted on this forum because it is an fyi to anybody using the evernote suite of products.

I'm not sure aboutĀ theĀ spam reference but your posts belong in the off topic forumĀ (MIA)

I'm assuming your posts were a genuine attempt to assist people.Ā The admins might not be so discriminating.

>>Not sure who named you the spam copIMG_2093.jpg.b7615ed3476c770ea44fe8d07f4cc6a3.jpg

Assignment by Evernote. Ā 
This is mostly a self-moderated forum and we are the first line moderators.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, gesshoom said:

Not sure who named you the spam cop

Anyone can report a post (even you). If the Evernote folks deem it to be spam or otherwise objectionable, then they can remove it.

NimbusNote is not topical for Evernote forums, in my opinion, unless there's a specific off-topic forum, which there doesn't seem to be any more, in which case I would have moved your posts there.

• Level 5*

Iā€™m not so bothered by threads like this IF they contain information for fellow Evernote users to make an informed opinion. In my experience, a discussion about the merits / demerits of an alternative usually ends up highlighting Evernoteā€™s strengths, whatever the elements of friction might be (in this case, the clipper). Just saying that X exists, or that you are going to use X instead of Evernote seems closer to spam to me than a substantive discussion; hence, my questions to your original post.

Ā 

3 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Iā€™m not so bothered by threads like this IF they contain information for fellow Evernote users to make an informed opinion. In my experience, a discussion about the merits / demerits of an alternative usually ends up highlighting Evernoteā€™s strengths, whatever the elements of friction might be (in this case, the clipper). Just saying that X exists, or that you are going to use X instead of Evernote seems closer to spam to me than a substantive discussion; hence, my questions to your original post.

Ā 

I agree, if the goal of the post was to provide information, share insight to help others then one has to provide reasoning and more information which is fine.Ā 

But if one wants people to quit Evernote to go somewhere else just to hurt Evernote due to their frustration with the software (that they elected to use in the first place), that does not make sense and is not productive, helpful at all.

I think everybody should be evaluating things in their lives on a periodic basis to ensure that things are improving and moving forward, not being stagnant. It is ok to look at other software as well, or recommend to others, just make sure your intentions are right.

Happy Friday!!

Okay, although I was tryingĀ to not sound too spammy by letting people go check it out on their own....

here are my observations:

• The products are very similar. I would say that Nimbus Note is an OpenSource clone of EV
    • Features specific to NImbus
      • Ability to color notes
      • Ability to encrypt entire notes with different passwords for each note (if you wish)
      • Free account is 100MB with no OCR in attached docs (pdf, xls, word)
      • you can edit clips with the Nimbus clip editor before saving them to nimbus
      • you can import evernote notes via ENEX format
      • table support seems more robust - no cell coloring tho
      • better implementation of to-do's
  • Android:
    • Very clean interface
    • Night/day mode
    • Web clipper and Nimbus Capture are far superior than Android EV.Ā  IF I was to rate EV clipping at 75%, then Nimbus is at 95% (regardless of the recent failures to clip anything with Android EV)
    • Syncing seems to be near instantaneous
    • There doesn't seem to be any 'offline' folders on mobile (still testing)
    • Easy to generate an external link for sharing
  • Web
    • Very nice and easy to use web clipper' - see attached image
    • I prefer their note editor to EVs
    • excellent clipper
  • PC - Win10
    • Nice clean interface
    • supports local database

Privacy policy - Not sure I like all aspects - but not too much of a concern if you keep it for research and not too sensitive stuff....BUt you need to determine if this is ok for your use

So, this is my eval after 3-4 hours of playing with the 3 versions.

Do what you want with this info.

I hope I don't sound too spammy !

Ā 

Capture.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5*

Thanks for the information.

I donā€™t think it is open source, is it? Yes, it does look like a clone, and even has ā€œeverā€ as part of its identity. A business that works like this, basically stealing the work of others, is not very appealing. But, leaving that aside and just comparing the apps on their merits, it seems to me that thereĀ arenā€™t any superior features for my particular workflow, so I donā€™t see the appeal. The web clipping thing is a little more understandable, because a lot of people rely on Evernote for that,Ā but that isnā€™t a big issue for me (everything works fine for me on iOS).

Perhaps this thread would make a bit more sense in a feature request area ā€” it would be nice if Evernote had X, Y, and Z like Nimbus Note? At any rate, good luck with the service. Drop by in a few months after youā€™ve spent some time sith it and let us know how it is going.Ā 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I sure like this. Does it look like the Google Keep? The entire note is different color in the snippet view in Google Keep which I really liked.

Color coding is not consistent across platforms. On mobile, the right edge of the note is colored in the note list. Seems absent on web/pc. I might be wrong but can't find itĀ 

6 minutes ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Thanks for the information.

I donā€™t think it is open source, is it? Yes, it does look like a clone, and even has ā€œeverā€ as part of its identity. A business that works like this, basically stealing the work of others, is not very appealing. But, leaving that aside and just comparing the apps on their merits, it seems to me that thereĀ arenā€™t any superior features for my particular workflow, so I donā€™t see the appeal. The web clipping thing is a little more understandable, because a lot of people rely on Evernote for that,Ā but that isnā€™t a big issue for me (everything works fine for me on iOS).

Perhaps this thread would make a bit more sense in a feature request area ā€” it would be nice if Evernote had X, Y, and Z like Nimbus Note? At any rate, good luck with the service. Drop by in a few months after youā€™ve spent some time sith it and let us know how it is going.Ā 

You are correct. It isn't open source. I confused it with JoplinĀ 

• Level 5
6 hours ago, gesshoom said:

Web clipper and Nimbus Capture are far superior than Android EV.Ā  IF I was to rate EV clipping at 75%, then Nimbus is at 95% (regardless of the recent failures to clip anything with Android EV)

That is interesting, given the current state of Evernote's Android clipping. Nimbus can import .enex. Can it also export it? IOW, could I clip something in Android Nimbus, and then in Windows export it and import into Evernote? Clunky, but I don't think, based on your very helpful report, I see anything in Nimbus that would compel me to leave EN altogether.

29 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

That is interesting, given the current state of Evernote's Android clipping. Nimbus can import .enex. Can it also export it? IOW, could I clip something in Android Nimbus, and then in Windows export it and import into Evernote? Clunky, but I don't think, based on your very helpful report, I see anything in Nimbus that would compel me to leave EN altogether.

You can export in JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) or HTML, which are not compatible with EVĀ  :-(

Ā 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, gesshoom said:

You can export in JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) or HTML, which are not compatible with EVĀ  :-(

Evernote for Windows can certainly export to HTML, and import it tooĀ (via import folders).

• Thanks 1

One of the reasons I'd look at Nimbus is simply by price. By my reckoning, the cost of Evernote Premium increased 50% last year. That's big. I couldn't quite believe it at first. When I queried it, I received no response. You'd think for that price you'd get some engagement. But that's the story of Evernote, unfortunately.Ā 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, kitezh said:

One of the reasons I'd look at Nimbus is simply by price. By my reckoning, the cost of Evernote Premium increased 50% last year. That's big. I couldn't quite believe it at first. When I queried it, I received no response. You'd think for that price you'd get some engagement. But that's the story of Evernote, unfortunately.Ā 

It depends on the plan, of course, but the price did go up for Evernote quite a bit.Ā Iā€˜m not sure there are many changes to justify it (on the userā€™s end), and I donā€˜t think they rolled it out very well. But, Iā€™d rather have them adjust their business model as necessary to make sure the service not only continues, but also improves over time. Itā€˜s a long-term investment. Hopefully, it is worth paying every year for the plus or premium plans. For my use case, at least, it is an easy choice to make.Ā 

Nimbus Note, as far as I can tell, costs a bit more (for me) and does a lot less, so I donā€™t see the Nimbus option as a cost-effective one.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, kitezh said:

is simply by price

As per @GrumpyMonkey, it depends on the account plan you're using
The Nimbus Pro account is $44.99 yearly compared toĀ Evernote Plus account at $34.99
I think it's more important to compare the features offered by each product

Evernote's software and upgrades are free of charges
Evernote's Basic Account is free of charges
I have the Premium Account, the most expensive Personal Plan
and yes, there was a substantial increase two years ago. Ā It was presented as a realignment as Evernote switched to a user fee funded model.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

As per @GrumpyMonly, it depends on the account plan you're using
The Nimbus Pro account is $44.99 yearly compared toĀ Evernote Plus account at $34.99
I think it's more important to compare the features offered by each product

Evernote's software and upgrades are free of charges
Evernote's Basic Account is free of charges
and yes, there was a substantial increase two years ago. Ā It was presented as a realignment as Evernote switched to a user fee funded model.

I donā€™t know who this GrumpyMonly guy is, but I agree with him :)

I donā€™t agree with the explanation for Evernoteā€™s price hike, though. As I understood it at the tiime, they presented it as an investment in the future ā€” if you get something out of it, then pay so that we can make it better.Ā 

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2016/06/28/changes-to-evernotes-pricing-plans/

There was a great gnashing of teeth at the time, but I didnā€™t mind the price hike. It was the way they implemented it that seemed terribly clumsy. There was no sense (at least in my reading) that there was a switch or a re-alignment. Perhaps I missed something in subsequent discussions.

The reason I point this out is that I think these users are right to hold Evernoteā€™s feet to the fire ā€”- we paid more and made the ā€œinvestment,ā€ but the clipper is (on every platform Iā€™ve used) not terribly good, and sometimes downright awful (in fact, the *clipper*Ā might not be as bad as I think;Ā it may be that my iPad / iPhone have trouble displaying clipped pages from rather common sites, but whatever the reason, the stuff I clip isnā€™t appearing in my account as expected). Personally, I mainly use the print feature in iOS to save web pages into Evernote as PDFs, so I am insulated from the web clipper deficiencies, but that doesnā€™t make it any less irritating. I want the service to stick around, and if Evernote wants to charge more and keep its customers, it needs to deliver as promised. Itā€™s no good for any of us if Evernote sheds users because it canā€™t follow through.

Are a few rough edges in Evernote sufficient reason to switch to a more expensive copycat with fewer features, less integration, etc.? Not in my opinion. Perhaps Nimbus Notes and other competitors are more useful as prods to push Evernote to do better ā€” itā€™sĀ a great product, but if they donā€™t constantly polish and improve it (as promised), there are viable alternatives out there that people will use instead.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Same here. IMHO, the price increase got the Premium product closer to what it's actually worth, to me at least.

• Level 5*

Oh great, we're restarting the price increase discussion Ā :(

My point was that making a decision to switch products (or not) should be based on features more than price

Also, actually knowing the prices is a good idea

• Like 2
  • Level 5

To understand the price increase, you have to have some empathy for the Evernote computer programmers who have to pay the monthly mortgage for 2,300 sq ft homes selling for more than $2 million in Evernote's hometown of Redwood City, California.
Ā 

Evernote pricing.png

Evernote Redwood City home.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

I have been looking at Nimbus for a few months as either a backup to, or a replacement of, EN. I still haven't made the jump, but every time I read about the great new features of Evernote for Business, get a pop-up on the Web app about an EN for Biz feature, or have to remember how to share a note in Android via Email rather than work chat , I get a little closer. To clarify and add to some of gesshoom's post.

• You can import EN Enex file, but it does a much better job importing the native EXB file. Attachments, tags, etc. all work perfectly. Of course, if you use nested folders, you will have to renest those as EN folders aren't physically connected.
  • As he said, syncing is virtually instant.
  • The Android Widget is much more robust
  • There are offline folders on Android. The default is to download headers and grab Notes as needed, but you can sync everything local and have it all offline if you want. Unlike EN, the app doesn't have the ability to move to External Storage
  • I think the web clipper is as good or better than EN, and the company also has a separate Windows clipper that works very well when outside the browser.
  • The main feature it is lacking that I use frequently is a default import folder, but depending on what I am doing, there are easy workarounds.
  • The tags vs folders argument becomes moot as Nimbus supports both equally well.
  • In response to the "mostly unresponsive support team," I just sent them a feature request. The reply came back within 2 minutes. This is not unusual per my experience. Of the dozen or so emails I have sent them, half came back within minutes, and all but one of the rest were within an hour. The outlier took 6 hours.Ā 

As far a the pricing is concerned, I have been Premium at EN for years and never touch more than a fraction of the data usage. So, I bought a $5 on month plan at NN to handle the initial import, then I will likely go to the free plan. At this point, the data import per month is the only significantĀ restriction on the free plan.Ā 

From what I can determine, Nimbus Notes was launched in 2014, but the parent company, Everhelper began about a year before Evernote.

EN is still my primary, go-to database, but when my sub comes up in May, I will almost certainly downgrade to Plus if not Free. In the months of testing, NN hasn't been non-responsive at any time, and I find myself going there more and more when I'm waiting for theĀ Not Responding to go away on EN.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

Thanks, @dbvirago. I've got a Premium subscription renewal coming up soon too, and have been thinking about Plus.

I posted some remarks earlier in this thread about how the Android Evernote clipping function had gone so bad. It has been improved in recent updates--not perfect yet nor even (I think) what it once was, but no longer a deal-breaker.

For me the biggest problem currently is the Windows program's declining functionality in recent upgrades. But as long as I never upgrade, I'm OK! So, I'm either happy enough or not yet aggravated enough to leave Evernote for Nimbus; but it's good to remember that there are options. I would certainly want to compare the privacy agreements before jumping.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I've got a Premium subscription renewal coming up soon too, and have been thinking about Plus.

There was a recent announcement about Plus going away.

Ā 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Nice.Ā :blink:Ā :angry:Ā I'm tempted toĀ go back to the free version for awhile, just to see if I actually miss what I'm paying for.

Yet I really believe in paying for services I use, and Evernote definitely has value for my work as well as my daily life. IĀ soĀ much want to just love this thing and feel good about what I'm getting for my money. It's actually just the recent foul-ups in the Windows program that concern me--and even they don't really affect me as long asĀ I never upgrade! But the lack of QA there leaves me concerned about whether that will become a system-wide trend.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm tempted toĀ go back to the free version for awhile, just to see if I actually miss what I'm paying for.

I could manage with the Basic account features, except for the upload limits. Ā My limit for the month would be reached in the first week.

Even then, I could switch to a Local Notebook.

With 3 days left I have 97% of my limit left. I keep a ton of stuff in EN, but I probably upload half a dozen, fairly small files daily.Ā 

For me it was partly the offline files, but mostly just wanting to pay for a product that I was using and believed at the time I was contributing to development that would enhance the product I was using rather than funding the Business product.Ā 

Per dropping Plus, I still see it on the web version under manage subscriptions, but a Google search found this:

https://evernote.com/get-started

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, dbvirago said:

Per dropping Plus, I still see it on the web version under manage subscriptions, but a Google search found this:

They have to keep Plus around in some contexts because current Plus users are able to stay with Plus; they're just not selling any more Plus subscriptions.Ā https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314118-How-to-manage-your-Evernote-subscription

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Michael Singer said:

a classicļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ folder structure, whichļ»æ, in my opinion, makes it much easier to organize and keep track of a very large number of notes.ļ»æļ»æļ»æ

imho Ā  TheĀ a classicļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æĀ folder structureĀ isĀ notĀ the best way toĀ keep track of a very Ā large number of notes.
In my experience, the Tag/KeywordĀ Metadata methodology is the best solution.

The two important factors are

1. Multiple assignment of tag/keywordsĀ to a note
  2. Less organizing work is required.
    It's the tags/keywords which getĀ organized; the notes themselves are stored with no structure required.

I agree that multiple assignment is a strength of the tag system, but for me, hierarchy is a more logical way to structure content in most cases. By the way, folders do not exclude the use of tags, so why not using both?

Evernote has realized a minimal hierarchy by introducing stacks, but since these cannot be nested, they represent only one further structural level.

I don't think i'm the only one with a preference for hierarchical structures, since Nimbus Note and also Dropbox Paper are providing a folder system. While Nimbus Note even offers both, folders and tags.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Michael Singer said:

Byļ»æ the way, fļ»æolders do not excluļ»æde the use of tags, so why not using bothļ»æ?ļ»æļ»æļ»æ

For my use, I don't want to bother with any structure for storingĀ my notes; Ā 
simply add the noteĀ to the database,Ā no folder/subfolder/subfoler/subfoder

>>but for me, hierarchy is a more logical way to structure content in most cases ...Ā Evernote has realized a minimal hierarchy by introducing stacks, but since these cannot be nested, they represent only one further structural level.

Evernote implemented two fields to the note metadata: NotebookĀ and Tags
Notebooks areĀ implemented with no hierarchy Ā potential.
Tags areĀ implemented with unlimited hierarchy potential1281313645_ScreenShot2018-10-17at13_48_04.png.dc54d8b591f9f81db3f5e1215aabe3ab.png.cb8e5f5f64395fa48af2e5f2c9d1c53c.png

I like the hierarchy for organizing tags, but itĀ can only be accessed onĀ selected platforms like Mac and Windows

RelationalĀ (multiple parents) is even more useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On ā€Ž2018ā€Ž-ā€Ž10ā€Ž-ā€Ž22 at 3:34 PM, DTLow said:

For my use, I don't want to bother with any structure for storingĀ my notes; Ā 
simply add the noteĀ to the database,Ā no folder/subfolder/subfoler/subfoder

This, excellent retrieval, and supporting all my devices is why Evernote stands above the rest.Ā  I always look at the suggestions because I'm geeky, but they all lack one or more things of significance, including OneNote of which I considered myself a power user for years. I hopped off that train in frustration a little over a year ago, actually longer, I was in limbo using no tool of this sort for awhile. My OneNote usage was really more of a dying on the vine.Ā  One day I realized my physical desktop was littered with paper tablets again, and my download folder was littered with unfiled documents, and I needed to find an alternative.Ā  My biggest fear now is I'm on the backside of the curve and EN will go away or change significantly before I retire. The simple fact is even with the best of intentions things bloat and devolve over time.Ā  I just have to look in the mirror to see which side of the curve I'm on:)

On 10/22/2018 at 10:34 PM, DTLow said:

Tagļ»æs areĀ implemented with unlimited hierarchy potentialļ»æ1281313645_ScreenShot2018-10-17at13_48_04.png.dc54d8b591f9f81db3f5e1215aabe3ab.png.cb8e5f5f64395fa48af2e5f2c9d1c53c.png

Ā 

Wow, I haven't noticed yet that tags can be nested.

So there actually is a hierarchical method for sorting notes and notebooks. Thanks for this hint! For me this means a little rethinking and changing habits, but maybe it's even smarter to nest keywords than folders. A note can have many keywords, but only exist in one folder, which means that I can use keywords to map as many - even very contrasting - aspects of a note as I want, while the same wouldn't be possible with folders.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Michael Singer said:

Wow, I haven't noticed yet that tags can be nested.

So there actually is a hierarchical method for sorting notes and notebooks. Thanks for this hint! For me this means a little rethinking and changing habits, but maybe it's even smarter to nest keywords than folders. A note can have many keywords, but only exist in one folder, which means that I can use keywords to map as many - even very contrasting - aspects of a note as I want, while the same wouldn't be possible with folders.

download.png.d1c84a2a84b0abffa96bdbcf279e659c.png

All kidding aside, nesting works well with organizing tags, but doesn't add much in the way of additional benefits for finding notes, unless you want to see all notes of a parent and its children.Ā  The ability to "put notes in multiple places" is sweet, for the taggers amongst us.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, CalS said:

All kidding aside, nesting works well with organizing tags, but doesn't add much in the way of additional benefits for finding notes, unless you want to see all notes of a parent and its children.Ā  The ability to "put notes in multiple places" is sweet, for the taggers amongst us.

True, as I try to get used to the nested keyword system, I notice that multiple keywording can not only get quite complex, but also the search for content is not as satisfying as expected.
After all, it's all about finding notes and related notes as quickly as possible.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Michael Singer said:

True, as I try to get used to the nested keyword system, I notice that multiple keywording can not only get quite complex, but also the search for content is not as satisfying as expected.
After all, it's all about finding notes and related notes as quickly as possible.

Don't give up.Ā  I designed my tags with the intent of havingĀ search results in the 25 or so note range based upon a combination of tags and text.Ā  So with almost 40k notes and 400 or so tags IĀ find most things very quickly.Ā  I really don't care where the note is stored per se (4 notebooks of merit).Ā  Not everyone's cup of tea though, and use case can have some impact.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

All kidding aside, nesting works well with organizing tags, but doesn't add much in the way of additional benefits for finding notes

I posted the tag tree image for the folks that think "folders" are the only way to find notes.

I rarely use the sidebar navigation trees

I notice that multiple keywording can not only get quite complex, but also the search for content is not as satisfying as expected.

You could use single "keywording" but most of Ā my notes fit Ā multiple categories.

I Ā have standard tag processes depending Ā on note types. Ā ForĀ example, all notes require a Type; Ā Receipts require a Vendor and BudgetCategory

I also prefix my tag groups for easy access
When I start typing, I see a filtered list for Type, Vendor , Budget
Ā Ā Ā Ā 1326011881_ScreenShot2018-10-27at09_31_02.png.f1a4174449f7b8fb79be42ceecd597b0.png347210127_ScreenShot2018-10-27at09_00_59.png.63ce917a17e21ca7fba1681155506161.png38613689_ScreenShot2018-10-27at09_00_30.png.1e901db6de616d00675827311d096e0b.png Ā Ā 

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Don't give up.Ā  I designed my tags with the intent of havingĀ search results in the 25 or so note range based upon a combination of tags and text.Ā  So with almost 40k notes and 400 or so tags IĀ find most things very quickly.Ā  I really don't care where the note is stored per se (4 notebooks of merit).Ā  Not everyone's cup of tea though, and use case can have some impact.

Nevertheless, one should not forget that Evernote just offers stacks as a grouping of notebooks. Stacks represent the simplest hierarchy possible, and Evernote offers this feature because it's simple and efficient. The problem, however, is that this simple hierarchy is no longer sufficient for a larger number of notebooks. So it's just a question of the sheer number of notebooks within a stack until the need for more order units (levels) arises.

I've been using stacks to organize notebooks all the time so far. The process has proven to be very efficient for me. What started to be missing after a while was simply an extension of this system - by more levels. Stacks are nothing more than directories, and if stacks were stackable, I'd be happy and wouldn't care further about the name "stack" or "folder".

This is not a question of principle, whether one prefers to work with keywords or with directory-like structures, but simply reflects the need for an extension of the existing system of stacks for notebooks.

Ā 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Neverthelessļ»æ, one shoļ»æuld not forget that Evļ»æernote just offers stacks asļ»æ a grouping of nļ»æotebooksļ»æ.ļ»æ

Right, and there's also a stack/notebook tree in the sidebar for navigation.
It's only a 2 level tree though

I also avoid using notebooks because they are resticted to a single note assignment.
MyĀ notes usually fit multiple categories.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/27/2018 at 9:43 AM, Michael Singer said:

I've been using stacks to organize notebooks all the time so far. The process has proven to be very efficient for me. What started to be missing after a while was simply an extension of this system - by more levels. Stacks are nothing more than directories, and if stacks were stackable, I'd be happy and wouldn't care further about the name "stack" or "folder".

This is not a question of principle, whether one prefers to work with keywords or with directory-like structures, but simply reflects the need for an extension of the existing system of stacks for notebooks.

Yeah, whatever works for you is best.Ā  As stated many times in many threads in these forums, EN has not seen the need to extend the level of hierarchy for notebooks beyond stacks.Ā  If they did it would free up a lot of pages in these forums.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Michael Singer said:

Some folks do use the tag trees to navigate notes, but I've never found that useful,; since tag names are unique, and I prefer to use simple, generic that work in combination with other tags, I don't spend a lot of time creating tag hierarchies. Once in a while I'll go in and do a spring cleaning, but it's not critical to my workflow which depends on searches, not tag tree navigation. Basically, the idea is to use tags to organize my notes, but don't spend time organizing tags...

• Thanks 1

My biggest issue with Nimbus note is that I don't know anything about who they are.Ā  About the only thing I can find out is that the founders both graduated from the Russian state social university according to their profiles on linkedin.Ā  There's never been a mainstream article about this company.Ā  I am not comfortable giving them all my evernote data.Ā  I am more comfortable putting my data with a company I know.Ā AĀ company that will have whistle-blowers andĀ press when something fishy is going on than a company I don't know squat about.Ā  This is one of those times where it's better to stay with the devil you know than the devil you don't.Ā  Besides their web clipper doesn't work on iphone (I did try their free account for a month)

I just received a notification that my Nimbus.com account had been created, and I've never even heard of them.Ā  It went to a different email account than what is registered with Evernote, but is still quite creepy that this is one of the few places I've found even discussing Nimbus...Ā  As zotje mentioned, it's about impossible to find any info on them, and I'm not sure how an account was created in my name, but I won't be signing into it or even trying them out, as I did not want or need this service.Ā  Talk about poor marketing campaign.

• 1 month later...

I am looking at Nimbus mainly because of its ability for hierarchy and nesting (please don't flame me for being atavistic -- it's so tiresome).

I did the best I could, as others have done, above, to learn more about the company, with little info to show, which worries me about the underlying "sponsorship" and the long-term viability.Ā  Has anyone been able to decide that this product is (reasonably) safe or not?

• Level 5*

Even though I run the risk of being off topic, I would like to mention Notion as a very powerful alternative.

Notion does look intriguing, but until it adds a webclipper, scanner input and email input, it is a non-starter for me.Ā  I am watching it to see how it further develops.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 11:39 AM, Brallan said:

Has anyone been able to decide that this product is (reasonably) safe or not?

I looked at it and even went so far as to pay for a year's subscription. Then I got to work at transferring some data. Uggh. Their formatting is horrible (Evernote's editor is not that great but shines compared to what Nimbus does. One example - do an indent on Nimbus and it adds a non-removable blank line before the indent.) It's basically ugly. If you read their documentation you may notice it has that translated feel to it. As if the original Chinese writing was translated by somebody not fluent in both languages.

I've got the account but won't be using it. I just don't trust them to be around for long and I'm nervous about who they really are and where they're from. Can anybody name a country that's famous for producing shoddy knock-offs of every successful product?

At the very least, it feels like an Alpha product that may or may not get to the Beta stage. It's close to Beta but still far from a GA release by Evernote standards. I looked at them all and EN wins every time. It's far from great in a lot of ways but for my purposes there's no alternative.

• Thanks 1
  • 10 months later...

Just an update to my experience with Nimbus Note. They released an update a few months back that erased ALL my notes. I complained and got the usual (for them anyway) "We reserve the right blah...blah...blah". So I stopped using it. I sent them an email via their website telling them I did not want to renew.Ā 

Well, I just got a charge on my credit card for another year. I used one of those "prepaid" cards when I signed up just in case they were a fly-by-night outfit. They must have tried a few times to charge itĀ  as the card didn't have that much on it. So they must have tried lower and lower amounts until one went through. I'll have to scrap that card.

So, if you want to go with Nimbus, good luck. They have no respect for your data and the only way to stop your subscription will be to cancel your credit card.Ā  I suspect that Cleveland address they use is just a mail drop to give the impression they have an American presence.

• Thanks 4
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

So, if you want to go with Nimbus, good luck. They have no respect for your data and the only way to stop your subscription will be to cancel your credit card.Ā  I suspect that Cleveland address they use is just a mail drop to give the impression they have an American presence.

Sorry to hear this,Ā for your troubles of course, but also for that market segment. I may be an Evernote "fanboy", but competition is a good, thing and it's difficult for a single application to meetĀ  all of the needs of a broad spectrum of users. But thanks for leaving the warning.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

Well, I just got a charge on my credit card for another year. I used one of those "prepaid" cards when I signed up just in case they were a fly-by-night outfit. They must have tried a few times to charge itĀ  as the card didn't have that much on it. So they must have tried lower and lower amounts until one went through. I'll have to scrap that card.

Ouch!

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, jefito said:

it's difficult for a single application to meetĀ  all of the needs of a broad spectrum of users

I only started using their application because, unlike Evernote, (me big fan too!) the Android version allowed "local" notes. I found the thing very easy simply because I was used to Evernote and the ability to do a quick note that stayed local was attractive. There were tons of notepads available but the Evernote UI was familiar. Oh, well. Win some, lose some. The $60 they lifted from me won't kill me and replacing a prepaid card is easy. It's the principle that irks me. They steal the design of Evernote, they steal the UI of Evernote, they basically came up with a counterfeit version and nothing can be done, and when they also steal people's money, again, nothing can be done according to the VISA people.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Funny - under European customer protection laws I can revoke any payment from my credit card within a few weeks fromĀ the booking date.

If the vendor thinks he has a case, he can sue me, which will of course result in much higher cost for me if the payment was correct. But if not, I have my money back, and donā€™t need to bother.

On 12/7/2019 at 6:07 AM, PinkElephant said:

European customer protection laws

Too bad I'm in Canada. On this side of the pond we are left swinging in the wind for this stuff. The only thing that can be done is to cancel the card. I suspect Nimbus is very close to shutting their doors and are just trying to grab as much cash as they can before shutting down their servers.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
On 12/7/2019 at 4:55 AM, OrbWeaver said:

I only started using their application because, unlike Evernote, (me big fan too!) the Android version allowed "local" notes. I found the thing very easy simply because I was used to Evernote and the ability to do a quick note that stayed local was attractive.

Just WRT this point, it's true that the Evernote Android app has no offline = localĀ notes. But it does allow offline notebooks, and if it suited your needs it might be possible to set up a single offline notebook and just store all necessary local notes in there.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just WRT this point, it's true that the Evernote Android app has no offline = localĀ notes. But it does allow offline notebooks, and if it suited your needs it might be possible to set up a single offline notebook and just store all necessary local notes in there.

Offline notes in Evernote for mobile are not the same as local notes for desktop (or more precisely, notes stored in offline notebooks on Evernote mobile are not the same as notes stored in local notebooks in Evernote desktop). The latter are never synced to the Evernote servers; they live exclusively on your single desktop installation. The former certainly are synced; they are "offline" because they are cached on the mobile device (if available storage allows), thus making them available when the user is offline. Note that the "offline" part of an offline notebookĀ  is a per-device setting; just because a notebook is designated as offline on one device doesn't mean that that's inherited across other mobile devices (handles the case where different devices have different capacities.

In any case, Evernote mobile has noĀ local notes; all notes are synced to the Evernote servers whether on offline or normal notebooks.Ā And local notes from desktop Evernote can necessarily never be found in an offline notebook, because they never make it to the Evernote servers in the first place, so they therefore cannot be synced down to an offline notebook on a mobile device.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/7/2019 at 2:55 AM, OrbWeaver said:

I only started using their application because, unlike Evernote, (me big fan too!) the Android version allowed "local" notes. I found the thing very easy simply because I was used to Evernote and the ability to do a quick note that stayed local was attractive. There were tons of notepads available but the Evernote UI was familiar. Oh, well. Win some, lose some. The $60 they lifted from me won't kill me and replacing a prepaid card is easy. It's the principle that irks me. They steal the design of Evernote, they steal the UI of Evernote, they basically came up with a counterfeit version and nothing can be done, and when they also steal people's money, again, nothing can be done according to the VISA people.

Saferoom sort of does this.Ā  You create/edit your notes in Saferoom where they are zero knowledge encrypted.Ā  Not the same interface as EN obviously and none of the benefits of EN search, etc., which sort of deletes the purpose.Ā  But you can save the notes inĀ EN for backup andĀ syncing with another device.Ā  Probably not a good fit, but a data point.Ā  FWIW.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, jefito said:

Offline notes in Evernote for mobile are not the same as local notes for desktop (or more precisely, notes stored in offline notebooks on Evernote mobile are not the same as notes stored in local notebooks in Evernote desktop). The latter are never synced to the Evernote servers; they live exclusively on your single desktop installation. The former certainly are synced; they are "offline" because they are cached on the mobile device (if available storage allows), thus making them available when the user is offline. Note that the "offline" part of an offline notebookĀ  is a per-device setting; just because a notebook is designated as offline on one device doesn't mean that that's inherited across other mobile devices (handles the case where different devices have different capacities.

In any case, Evernote mobile has noĀ local notes; all notes are synced to the Evernote servers whether on offline or normal notebooks.Ā And local notes from desktop Evernote can necessarily never be found in an offline notebook, because they never make it to the Evernote servers in the first place, so they therefore cannot be synced down to an offline notebook on a mobile device.

Thanks, Jeff. My bad for attempting to comment on a feature I've never used!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 10 months later...

Bringing this one back to life - it's worth taking a look at Nimbus Note again - my interest though is more in the Evernote team seeing some of the things the Nimbus team have put together, which I would LOVE to see in Evernote as the new versions continue to advance:Ā 

• Link preview optionĀ (a 'rich' card showing what the site is)
  • Nested, collapsible listsĀ (for the love of all that is holy)
  • Live collaborationĀ (they've managed to pull it off - if EN is going to offer a business product, not being able to edit a note collaboratively and have to deal with duplicate notes/sync conflicts constantly is an ENormousĀ (see what I did there ā­ļø) pain in the proverbial.
  • The web clipper has some great options like scrolling screengrab
  • Loom-style video recorderĀ (nice to have)
  • AND the main eventĀ (for me)... database-style tablesĀ (Airtable-esque) including dates, single and multiselect, sorting etc. This would be HUGE for me in terms of running editorial calendars etc in one place.Ā 

I'm not the hugest fan of the 'blocks' thinking that seems to be a part of all text editors nowĀ (Coda, Notion, Gutenberg, Nimbus - others I'm sure) but I DO like the way it allows you to drag things around and make different layouts. My concern with that is always that it's likely to be heavy and make things slow but Nimbus doesn't seem to suffer from that problem.Ā 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, James | Headquarters said:

I'm not the hugest fan of the 'blocks' thinking that seems to be a part of all text editors now

I wasn't sure of what I thought about blocks but it seems to work nicely especially when you insert a block to the right or left. It nicely aligns things for sure and you can change the size with dragging the invisible divider. I thought it was kind of cool.

• Level 5*

Search and reminders need quite a bit of help in Nimbus, as compared to 6.25 anyway.Ā  Display and input are fine though no side list view or shortcut bar.Ā  import is problematic.Ā  Same slowness that impacts 10.0.Ā 

6.25 is still the best alternative to 10.0.Ā  Waiting to see what happens with 10.0 plus a few.Ā  šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

There's a very attractive Lifetime Deal for Nimbus on AppSumo right now:

https://appsumo.com/nimbus-note/

Presumably to tempt EN users away after this upgrade fiasco?Ā 

Took a good look at it today, and there are enough advantages over Evernote that I'm making the move. In particular, you can nest folders. Note browser is excellent. Clipper is excellent. Search syntax is at least as powerful. Good note-to-note linking. You can format your editing with Markdown for rapid text entry, but get WYSIWYG viewing.Ā Nice table feature. Nice integration with Google Calendar and lots of other apps.Ā 

And it actually appears to work. Haven't got much in there yet, but plenty of reviews online to suggest it scales OK. Hard to find any major negatives in the reviews by long-term users. They say bugs get fixed promptly and they respond to feature suggestions. Stable US company.

Checking the forums, they actually seem to manage upgrades without breaking everything.

Biggest drawback is the limited export options, though improvements are on the roadmap.

Hopefully I've found a new home.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Scotpip said:

Search syntax is at least as powerful

Depends on how you use search I would say.Ā  In my test It seemed aĀ bit cumbersome and it did not always work.Ā  May have had something to do with the fact the notes were imported as opposed to created, don't know.Ā  That and no search explanation.Ā  The small import was problematic.Ā  Any notes that had been created via email were a mess.Ā  Needs a little work for my use case.Ā  Though for $59 lifetime it might be worth it just because.

10 hours ago, Scotpip said:

There's a very attractive Lifetime Deal for Nimbus on AppSumo right now:

https://appsumo.com/nimbus-note/

Presumably to tempt EN users away after this upgrade fiasco?Ā 

Took a good look at it today, and there are enough advantages over Evernote that I'm making the move. In particular, you can nest folders. Note browser is excellent. Clipper is excellent. Search syntax is at least as powerful. Good note-to-note linking. You can format your editing with Markdown for rapid text entry, but get WYSIWYG viewing.Ā Nice table feature. Nice integration with Google Calendar and lots of other apps.Ā 

And it actually appears to work. Haven't got much in there yet, but plenty of reviews online to suggest it scales OK. Hard to find any major negatives in the reviews by long-term users. They say bugs get fixed promptly and they respond to feature suggestions. Stable US company.

Checking the forums, they actually seem to manage upgrades without breaking everything.

Biggest drawback is the limited export options, though improvements are on the roadmap.

How timely! I have used Appsumo before and had no issues.Ā  I have wobbled about Nimbus lately - are they really in the US? (Other threads have sowed doubt) and although IĀ only use Evernote myself (not as a team), I am way over the 50GB for the lowest tier. Nevertheless, $59 all in for life is a seriously good deal. I shall plough throughĀ the questions asked there and try to get a feel for the corporation, because I am a little nervous trusting a hitherto unheard of company.

12 hours ago, Scotpip said:

If limited export options, I hope you've found the best home there is , since you'll be locked in forever...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Scotpip said:

The docs could be better organised for sure, but you can usually find what you need if you dig around.

TheĀ basic search syntax is here:

https://nimbusweb.me/s/share/4714782/9sfhm4v3k1aa1f9r1pxy

The advanced search syntax is here:

https://nimbusweb.me/s/share/4714775/hrg4wm64mwuu9461mlax

I meant a visible explanation of the current search. Ā  Canā€™t really tell when using the filters.Ā 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 4:17 AM, OrbWeaver said:

Just an update to my experience with Nimbus Note. They released an update a few months back that erased ALL my notes. I complained and got the usual (for them anyway) "We reserve the right blah...blah...blah". So I stopped using it. I sent them an email via their website telling them I did not want to renew.Ā 

For whatever it's worth, I just canceled my Nimbus subscription because I'm going for the AppSumo LTD, and the credit card disappeared from my account as soon as I canceled. I had contacted support earlier to ask if they would keep the credit card on file after I cancled, and he wrote back (within a few minutes!) to say they do not. And that's what happened. So it looks like what happened to you would not happen now, and they learned their lesson.

I had something similar recently. A company I'd unsubscribed from years ago suddenly charged me for an annual subscription - on an expired card with an old address, and no way to delete it from the account. After talking to them I believe the company didn't know their payment software was doing this. They refunded the charge, which was good since my credit card company ruled against me in the dispute. I was actually more upset with the card, because they had let through a charge with an obviously out of date card. And they said that's intentional because they assume you don't want your subscription interrupted.

• 3 weeks later...