Using tags with individual notebooks

tommagness

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-22 at 6:46 AM, tommagness said:

When I create tags in multiple notebooks the tags all show up in one location.  Is it possible to have the tags specific to individual notebooks?  

No - Tags are not restricted by notebooks; they apply across the account

Not sure your use case but when you search based on tag you can also restrict by notebook
search    tag:aaaa notebook:bbbbbb

• Level 5*
On 2/22/2018 at 7:46 AM, tommagness said:

When I create tags in multiple notebooks the tags all show up in one location.  Is it possible to have the tags specific to individual notebooks?  

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Only if you manage them manually, which may be more work that it is worth.  It can be useful to use tags across notebooks.

One workaround is to add a prefix to your tag. For example, I have a Woodworking notebook and I use the ww prefix for tags that apply only to that notebook, e.g., ww.tools, ww.finishing, ww.hardware

I could just use tools, finishing and hardware, of course, and I could even organize them in my tags as children of a Woodworking main tag (which I do), but when I do a search and want to exclude all woodworking related stuff to narrow the results I just include -tag:ww* in my search and bingo.

Of course if I could exclude a notebook from a search then I would not have to go through all of that with my tags....

• Level 5*
On 2/22/2018 at 9:46 AM, tommagness said:

It isn't, as others have said. The question is why? Or rather, what's your use case that requires this?

I can see a number of reasons why you want this.  If I have a notebook that is strictly used for business for instance, why do i need (or want) to have my tag list view for that notebook show all my non business related tags? This is one situation that is an issue for me.
    Another is that I would like to use EN in unrelated ways that have completely separate systems of tagging.  I use EN now mainly as a filing system and I (finally) have a nice clean and simple system of tags that works great for that. I would love to use EN for research as well, but I'm not willing to clutter up my current tag list/system with the hundreds of new tags
that would require. (I currently use One Note for research).  If the tags were specific to notebooks, that would no longer a problem. 
  • Level 5*
55 minutes ago, gfco said:

I can see a number of reasons why you want this.

All good use cases

Currently, the only method would be to use separate accounts.

You could post a feature request and see how much user support is obtained

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, gfco said:
 I can see a number of reasons why you want this.  If I have a notebook that is strictly used for business for instance, why do i need (or want) to have my tag list view for that notebook show all my non business related tags? This is one situation that is an issue for me.
    Another is that I would like to use EN in unrelated ways that have completely separate systems of tagging.  I use EN now mainly as a filing system and I (finally) have a nice clean and simple system of tags that works great for that. I would love to use EN for research as well, but I'm not willing to clutter up my current tag list/system with the hundreds of new tags
that would require. (I currently use One Note for research).  If the tags were specific to notebooks, that would no longer a problem. 

In the meantime, create a parent tag for business and one for whatever separate uses you have.  Only have that part of the tree open when in the paired notebook. 

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, gfco said:

I can see a number of reasons why you want this.  If I have a notebook that is strictly used for business for instance, why do i need (or want) to have my tag list view for that notebook show all my non business related tags? This is one situation that is an issue for me

Adding notebook-specific tags would seem to add extra complexity to the Evernote scheme and user experience: Now you need to add a whole new UI to enforce and maintain notebook specific tags. What happens to a notebook-specific tag if you move a note that has it out of its notebook? How is search affected by the addition of notebook-specific tags? is the search language changed? Is it possible for notebook A to have notebook-specific tag T and Notebook B to have notebook-specific tag T, and if so are they different tags (remember that for some people, individual notebooks aren't enough to organize their notes; maybe they want tags that are the same across a set of notebooks)? Can a tag T be a notebook specific tag and a 'free' tag? How does this affect the tag tree and the tags panel; are these tags listed in those contexts?

Tags can be used to form hierarchies for browsing, but in my opinion  they're better suited for forming a simple language for describing your notes (you can actually do both, with some effort). There are potentially any number of tags that can apply equally to work and personal usages (the tag 'research' comes to mind). We use our natural language in a similar way: words have multiple meanings, depending on context; we use context to disambiguate. It all seems to easy, until you dig into the details...

Of course, another possibility is to maintain two accounts; one for personal use and one for work. If you need to share notebooks, you can do that. I use this approach; one free account, and one premium, and I do share notebooks between the two accounts. Works pretty well for almost all scenarios that I need.

20 hours ago, gfco said:

I don't see how this is a problem, even in the current system. You can always make separate trees for navigating separate areas of interest, and organize them as desired. Close up the branches you're not interested in. To implement notebook-specific tags, the notebook names would also be tags, at the top level of the tree. Then you're mainly swapping browsing the notebook list for browsing the tag tree top level, which has roughly the same complexity.

I dunno, the longer I use Evernote, the less interested I am in managing and organizing tags, as opposed to creating a set of tags that can be used in combinations  (along with literal text terms) to effectively categorize my note collections. This allows notes to belong to different categorizations, which is often useful for my needs.

Evernote's current scheme changes seem to be aimed in the direction of Spaces, currently in beta in the business client, but possibly into the personal clients as well. See https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/305-evernote-business-public-beta-spaces/ (specifically this topic: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/111082-how-are-you-using-spaces/) How that all fleshes out is a little unclear at the moment, but it's possible that this might  include something that works along the lines of what you're suggesting here. We'll have to wait and see, though.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

I dunno, the longer I use Evernote, the less interested I am in managing and organizing tags, as opposed to creating a set of tags that can be used in combinations  (along with literal text terms) to effectively categorize my note collections. This allows notes to belong to different categorizations, which is often useful for my needs.

Yup!  My standard set up includes the left panel being closed so don't look at the tag tree anyway. 

@gfco

FYI, if your context is a notebook, when you use the tag search drop down (Shift-Alt-T) you will only see tags associated with that notebook.  Doesn't help with viewing the tree, but a tidbit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 10:26 AM, jefito said:

You can always make separate trees for navigating separate areas of interest, and organize them as desired. Close up the branches you're not interested in.

Thank you Jeff.  I think a lot of us can benefit from your suggestion.
I've tried a number of different setups to make this work but for some reason this simple idea never occurred to me,  So now I have set up top level tags for my different areas and it is working nicely. I made them in all caps, bold and in red to stand out.  Filing tags are under a tag called  "_FILE CABINET" and my whole current set of tags are under that. (underscore so it is at the top of the list)  Other top level tags I've added are  "BUSINESS",  "RESEARCH", and "HEALTH EXERCISE & NUTRITION".  I will probably end up adding hundreds of new tags to each of those for subjects, names, jobs recipes etc. These can be set up in different ways, stay completely separated from each other, and stay collapsed and out of sight when I'm not using them.  
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gfco said:
I've tried a number of different setups to make this work but for some reason this simple idea never occurred to me,  So now I have set up top level tags for my different areas and it is working nicely. I made them in all caps, bold and in red to stand out.  Filing tags are under a tag called  "_FILE CABINET" and my whole current set of tags are under that. (underscore so it is at the top of the list)  Other top level tags I've added are  "BUSINESS",  "RESEARCH", and "HEALTH EXERCISE & NUTRITION".  I will probably end up adding hundreds of new tags to each of those for subjects, names, jobs recipes etc. These can be set up in different ways, stay completely separated from each other, and stay collapsed and out of sight when I'm not using them.  

I've taken this a step further and prefix all child tags with the parent tag.  

My tags are grouped under ?Who  !What @Where .When
I use the first character as a prefix for all the child tags

• Various menus provide an alpha sort of tags, so my tag groups stay in sequence
  • When adding a tag to a note, I start typing, for example ?, and all my ?Who tags get listed.
  • 3 months later...

All we have at the moment is a "Show all tags", what we really need is a view like "Show all tags in Notebook A".

All tags:  [Crab paste]  [Apple]  [Peanut butter]  [Banana]  [Pear]

Fruit notebook: [Apple]  [Banana]  [Pear]

Sandwich filling notebook: [Crab paste]  [Peanut butter]  [Banana] 

It is not necessary to define notebook-specific tags as some of the previous posts indicated, no extra work is required for the recording of tags.  We just need a filter on the tag display page to  allow the viewing of a specific notebook.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, MortimerCat said:

It is not necessary to define notebook-specific tags as some of the previous posts indicated, no extra work is required for the recording of tags.  We just need a filter on the tag display page to  allow the viewing of a specific notebook.

On the Mac/IOS platforms, the note list can be filtered; by notebook and additionally by tags 1278338868_ScreenShot2018-07-12at09_31_41.png.b1b46a16950d8ddef76128cae9488956.png
The tag display is all tags used in the notebook

31 minutes ago, DTLow said:

On the Mac/IOS platforms, the note list can be filtered; by notebook and additionally by tags 
The tag display is all tags used in the notebook

So it does! It is also available on the Windows App, but not Android or the Web browser (Beta version).   The Beta web browser shows the tag within the notebook, but still lists all tags.

Screenshot from 2018-07-12 17-47-49.png

• 3 weeks later...

The use case is very simple

My evernote use is about 10 years old (at least), and has about 15 notebooks in it,  i create a new notebook per project

I want to see all  the tag-soup that is specific to the a certain notebook, and i have no way to do so, instead i can see all the tag-soup af ALL the notebooks, some of which are projects that have ended and are archived, others are personal, professional, research, DIY, design, etc.

I can view the pages in the notebook and they are filtered by notebook so i can see only those appearing in this notebook

I can search for words in the text of the notebook, and this too they are filtered by notebook

I can see all the tags i have ever added to my account, which is ALOT and include MANY notebooks, MANY MANY projects including DIY projects, work projects, etc... I do not understand the usecase in which i need to see all the tags i have ever created vs filter tags by notebook that appear only in certain notebooks ?

• Level 5*

Having tags limited to notebooks would limit their usefulness in some situations - multiple tags can be applied to notes,  and notes can live in any notebook.  As a simple example if I wish to tag several notes as 'receipts',  but keep some in my default notebook and others in my tax returns notebook,  I have to use two tags - home_receipts,  and tax_receipts - instead of one.  I also (presumably) can't freely move notes between notebooks without losing tags or being prompted to re-tag some notes. 

On desktops it is possible to hide some of the clutter if too many tags have been created,  by creating a parent-child structure - though that doesn't currently play well with the mobile apps,  or with shared notebooks.  It's also possible to take advantage of Evernote's advanced search features by using (for example) both tag:receipt and a project name or number to find all the expenses incurred for one job.

I'd suggest someone start a votable thread in one of the general feedback forums for notebook specific tags to see what support there is and (maybe) give Evernote a reason to consider this topic more fully.  (Please post the link here!)

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Mickeyp said:

filter tags by notebook that appear only in certain notebooks ?

I'm working on a Mac and iPad2FDBF050-28B3-4E0D-9AD2-6DD8F4DAE2E7.thumb.jpeg.7f020001f3589d5660580ab11113e615.jpeg

When I filter by notebook, the tag list is filtered

The filtered by notebook tags facility is available on the Apple version (Mac, iPad and iPhone) and the Windows App. 

It is missing on the Browser version (including the new Beta) and missing from the Android version. 

It would be nice to have the feature across all the platforms.

10 minutes ago, MortimerCat said:

The filtered by notebook tags facility is available on the Apple version (Mac, iPad and iPhone) and the Windows App. 

It is missing on the Browser version (including the new Beta) and missing from the Android version. 

It would be nice to have the feature across all the platforms.

yes i second this!

Archived