Search Function Not working

Hi, I'm using Evernote 7.0 on a mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3. Problem: the search function has stopped working.  It wasn't working on the previous version either. The word recognition will only pull from the most recent notes, rather then searching all my notebooks.  This causes me to have to search for my data manually.  Is there a way to fix this?  I have evernote basic account and they do provide customer support for technical issues.

• Level 5*
On 2/21/2018 at 10:47 AM, Ksue said:

Problem: the search function has stopped working.

I've seen two issues causing a search problem

#1   Incomplete database copy
       To trigger a full re-sync; Hold the Shift and Option keys on your keyboard and click the sync wheel5a8ddd49d711c_ScreenShot2018-02-21at12_56_38.png.72efc34eb7d8a91de92ff83f0b7a9a51.png

#2   Incomplet searc index
       To trigger a full index rebuild; Option-Key Help > Troubleshooting > Recreate

>>I have evernote basic account and they do provide customer support for technical issues.

Support is available for all accounts at
Twitter @evernotehelps 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

I have the same issue of the search function not working in Evernote with a basic account.  I'm running Sierra 10.12.6 and Evernote 7.0.3.  I tried what DTLow suggested. The first one (incomplete database) didn't fix the issue, but #2 Recreating Full Text Search Index seems to be doing the trick. Thanks!

Thank you for these tips DTLow. I've been having problems seeing all my documents on Evernote on my Mac and the searching was horrific. I often had to search on my iPhone to find a document. I triggered a full re-sync as you suggested. It didn't appear to make any changes but then I triggered a full index rebuild. That did the trick. I can now see ALL of my notes, over 10,000. I have no idea why they weren't showing up but these steps or at least the second one fixed it for me on my Mac. I appreciate your help.

Does anyone know how you can tell if the search rebuild is still processing? I can see my notes but the search is still not working completely. I went to a note from 2011 and copied text directly from it and put it in the search bar and it still did NOT show up in the search results. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem. Tech advised to sign out of all my devices and sign in again. It does not help. Everything has also slowed down to such an extent it takes 15 minutes to find a note. 

Keeps telling me I have no such note, cannot find tags either in a hurry. 

Evernote has become useless to me. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 8:59 PM, DTLow said:

To trigger a full re-sync; Hold the Shift and Option keys on your keyboard and click the sync wheel5a8ddd49d711c_ScreenShot2018-02-21at12_56_38.png.72efc34eb7d8a91de92ff83f0b7a9a51.png

>>I have evernote basic account and they do provide customer support for technical issues.

Support is available fo all accounts at
Twitter @evernotehelps 

#2 has restored the results, thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2018 at 3:59 PM, DTLow said:

Support is available for all accounts at
Twitter @evernotehelps 

@DTLow Thanks, #2 worked. I can now search all notes. 😎

• 1 month later...

How do you execute #2? on the web only? i cannot find the help then troubleshooting options- im on a mac and iPhone. this is becoming all a hassle especially for a paying premium member. What other note apps are good that I can rely on?

• 2 months later...

Critical Bug!

Search is not working on Evernote 7.14 for Mac. The option to re-index the database is not available in the Help menu.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Open Evernote on desktop

2) Type in a search word 

Result:

No Notes with a search string are displayed, but there's a message that they were found (see screenshot)

On the web search is working. 

Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 09.55.45.png

• 2 weeks later...

The full index rebuild posted by @DTLow works every time.  My issue is that I have to perform this often, almost every time I try a search on any given day.  This is not a large database, less than 1500 notes.  Is this just part of administrative overhead of using Evernote on a Mac?

• Level 5*
On 2/17/2020 at 1:39 AM, Marinka said:

The option to re-index the database is not available in the Help menu.

Make sure you press the option key when selecting the Help menu

• Thanks 1

Yes, that is the only way I can get to the troubleshooting I think.  Those steps (option 2, not option 1) seem to work just fine but doesn't 'stick'.  I'll check again in a few days using the same search term and see if the problem recurs and then submit a ticket.  This happens so often I've saved a clip of your instructions, but I don't use search often enough to have the steps memorized.  I have probably reindexed 7 times or so in the past year.

• 2 weeks later...