Stack Searching

Used to be, I could click on a stack in the hierarchy in the left pane, and then search only that stack. Now any time I try to initiate a search on a stack, it automatically changes it to search All Notes.

Even using the drop down menu to select the stack forcefully changes my selection.

You can see in the clip where I select the "work" stack, see that it is ready to accept my search term with 'work' stack selected, as soon as I type the first character, it resets to search all notebooks across all stacks. 

Windows 10 Pro Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299

EN Version 6.9.7.6770 (306770) Public (CE Build ce-1.39.4387)

en-stack-search.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  I agree the behaviour has changed*,  but if you have the 'search information' toolbar switched on (View menu,  or Ctrl+F10) you get a list of notebooks where your information has been found.  With a search for Amazon I got this -

5a8d6908b90bb_ScreenClip2.png.b5f3df684f1cdacace4f0ff304feaac3.png

- clicking on the 'several' link got me a list of notebooks ,  and hovering over different notebook got me a pop-up list of the hits in that specific notebook.  A click got me the list.  (Cool - didn't know I could do that!)

A search for "Stack:work <searchterm>" seems to limit searches to that stack.

(Using Windows 10 and EN 6.9.6)

* Actually no,  it hasn't: it was never possible (AFAIK) to limit a search to a Stack,  though you can do that with a single notebook.  My bad.

• Level 5*

@greggc You're right. This is broken. Since stacks are valid search contexts (Since the "stack:<stack name>" term is allowed in the Windows client, and still works), the search control shouldn't change contexts when you add a new term to a stack search. If your context is a notebook, then this behaves correctly. I'd rate this as a bug.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, greggc said:

Used to be, I could click on a stack in the hierarchy in the left pane, and then search only that stack. Now any time I try to initiate a search on a stack, it automatically changes it to search All Notes.

Yup.  What I do now is enter whatever search term and then use the drop down in the Search Information area to select the stack.  The stack has to be selected if the search is changed also.  PITA.

Don't know if anyone has filed a bug report on this one?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Don't know if anyone has filed a bug report on this one?

Don't know whether an official ticket was filed, but I am still operating under the impression that all forum posts are read (and bugs filed as needed)...

Same problem here - used to be able to click a notebook stack, then search within it by simply typing in the searchbar; now I have to manually select the stack from a dropdown, as shown above. 

Would be great to see this fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived