OMG - EN on MAC - Sucks vs PC - WHY?

brettmansdorf

Idea

OK - so last November I finally had enough (conflicts and viruses and hardware failures).  I returned my third new dell (in 10 days) for full refund and "INVESTED" into the Apple eco system.

I've always had a top of the line iPad and an iPhone (they JUST WORK).  I've since acquired MacBook Pro, time port extreme thingy, and about a dozen other Mac 'funny named' things...   

Work requires Windows - so I opted for Parallels (vs. boot camp) and it works great.

So - through all the utilization of Adobe products (subscribed to CC), Microsoft office, and several others - the ONLY disappointment has been - EVERNOTE.

Now forgive my brashness - but WHO IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH DESIGNED THIS so differently than the Windows...  IT SUCKS - nothing less.

I've got some low something or another number (per EN support) - been using this forever (it seems)...  When they trashed the Pen product - I reviewed my options for note taking and LEFT EN for GoodNotes (and with no regrets).  I did stay for EN (in General) - and the last PC iteration in NOV I liked.  I've always had ghost note issues - but assumed that was par for the course.  Win product was more than useful - it was special.  I worked GREAT - a moment or two and I could find what I was looking for.  Just like that.

MAC - GOOD LORD - what could this thing possibly be syncing - NON STOP - and the SEARCH - rename it GUESS please - or USE ME TO FREEZE THIS...

Functionally - I am for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE looking for an alternative - as EN on the MAC is a waste.

I'm methodical - I'm analytical.  I'm organized.  Perhaps that means (in EN's eyes) I am a PC person - but I'm all Mac now - and after just THREE short months - GOD himself couldn't talk me into going back to the dark side...   MACS work.  Yes I paid more than double what an associated PC would have cost by comparison (i7 quad, 16gb, 1tb, 15.4") but I've NEVER had a PC perform 1/3 as good as this thing - its exceptional.  And before you Windows numb-nutts decide to chime in - the Dell I returned was over $4000 for a laptop - and it replaced the ASUS ROG - it too was a great disappointment (I do NOT game - I do edit and have several power-hungry number crunching items so I opt for the very best hardware - for which most manufacturers - through offering 50 different options - don't fully test compatibility - and, well,  FAIL).

So I've two questions...

One - am I missing something - as I (inherently) go at EN much like I used it on a PC - DIRECTLY - and for the most part - EN is just a huge filing cabinet with basic optical searching enabled.

TWO - (and imminently more important) Is this known - and will it get fixed...

YES I didn't give specifics - why - because the whole damn thing works significantly worse vs. PC.  

I need something - on my PC I type it in - and I've found it in seconds.  SAME DATABASE.  On the MAC - it needs to sync (which lasts and lasts and lasts - and heaven forbid a mouse farts - it re-syncs), and then it freezes a bit, and then it displays garbage - side by side the search engine does NOT provide the same result (WTF?).

I need to upload something - no problem on the PC - dump it in the upload file - done.  On the Mac - you can make an upload file - but then it automatically opens EN and then EN needs to sync (again) and now you are dead in the water until its satisfied...

My MAC runs circles around my old PC - but the old PC runs circles around the Mac running EN.

I do NOT want to run this on a VM (parallels) as it would have to run all the time - I use Win 10% of the time - and when running it eats up memory, hard drive, and processor power, as its allocated exclusively.

And one last note - I certainly hope any solution is not (AGAIN AND AGAIN) 'delete everything and start fresh' - aka - kill it all then leave the unit run for three days...  I think (last check) my database is 150gb or so - fast connection or not - it takes a while.

Third question in the case the last two are hopeless - any good solutions on a Mac?

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Your complaint seems to focus on Syncing

I've not noticed an issue on my Mac.  My data is in a local database and the sync process runs in the background

There are differences between the Win and Mac platforms, but for the most part they perform the same functions

Side by side its not even remotely close.  Old Fujitsu T580 (its old - like 8yr - i5/4gb/fast ssd) and it blows away MacBook Pro (2017 i7 quad, 16gb, 1tb pcie) with 760gb left on the ssd.  I've reloaded twice and that gets old...  

Evernote is the ONLY issue on my transition to Mac.  I've kept a small notebook with EN because this (so far) has proven - less than helpful.  

I assume there are very few out there who use both - I figured there was NO WAY an miniature laptop from 2008 could even dream of keeping up with the new Mac - but its the exact opposite.  I search a simple string...  Like PENN (as it penn station receipt) and the Mac takes 27 seconds and returns many stalls (displays notes - but not ones related to the search) and  then I get the colorful spinning wheel - then it pops and displays results of 347 notes (and immediately begins to sync)...  The Fujitsu - 7 seconds, period - no sync, no BS, just results.

I get the spinning colorful wheel all the time - I get syncing all the time...

If I need to reload again (UG) that's fine - but is there anything I can do to settle the syncing and the spinning wheel...  

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, brettmansdorf said:

I search a simple string ... and immediately begins to sync

There must be something different causing issues.  A search would not trigger a sync.

Have you tested the app when offline from the internet? This will ensure there's no sync activity

• Level 5*
On 2/18/2018 at 12:05 PM, brettmansdorf said:

One - am I missing something - as I (inherently) go at EN much like I used it on a PC - DIRECTLY - and for the most part - EN is just a huge filing cabinet with basic optical searching enabled.

You don't state which versions of EN Mac and macOS you are running, but if you are running any EN Mac after 6.11.1, then there are many issues.  There are also some issues with macOS High Sierra.

I'm running Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.12.6, and it work well in most cases.

Sorry...  I'm in between things so limited to do much...

Version 6.13.3 (456166 App Store)
Editor: 1.30.3433 (fec246b)

High Sierra 10.13.3

OBVIOUSLY - I don't want to quite EN - but maintaining a PC just for EN - UG...  I KNEW/KNOW something just isn't right.  I did a side by side last night of Acrobat making a form, and then a quick 1080 rendering - NIGHT AND DAY - the Mac is about a zillion times faster.

OK - internet..

I do the same PENN search - lightening fast.  I turn the internet back on - it immediately syncs (30 sec) - then I search again - 22 second and a sync and a spinning wheel...

@brettmansdorf I cannot duplicate this syncing problem in 6.13.3. I just did a test on my late-2011 MacBook Pro i5 16gb ram 512 SSD and it didn't sync when I did a search for my wife's name (as PENN isn't in many of my notes) and it almost instantly returned 164 results (that were applicable).

I would state that I find the search on the iOS version  (8.9.3) to mirror the MAC OS issues that you are reporting. When I search on my iPhone I will spend the next 30s watching the list populate painfully slow. I always blamed my internet connection.

I would add that using the same keyword search, or even using a saved search, returns a different number of results between iOS and MAC OS...very odd.

I agree that Search in Evernote for Mac is terrible. I don't get the syncing problem you experience, but the search results themselves are often mystifying.

For example, I can type into the search box an exact phrase I use in the title or in the body of a note, and sometimes the note containing this appears way down in the search results. One would think it would appear at the top.

I have taken to obsessively precise tagging of notes to try and find things through tag searches instead of keyword searches.

OK so I've updated to 

Version 7.0.2 (456267 App Store)
Editor: 1.38.3824 (68bd1c0)

(still 10.13.3 for MacOS).

ITS HORRIBLE...  Ive come to realize it is only during times of sync (which seems to be 50% of the time).  I've plugged directly in - and I've run side by side changes on the SAME account - and the MAC is like a hypochondriac - looking for syncing and that STUPID spinning color wheel...  I've done it next door, I've done it at corporate office plugged into a BIG pipe - makes no difference.

I've now got a second Mac - MacBook (2017, i5, 8gb,256gb) - and it does the SAME THING.  After playing with it (this is my traveling partner).- I REMOVED EN.  Why waste so much drive space on something that crashes and can't search for the letter Z...

What the hell happened to the company...   I used to (back in my PC days) get upset as all the new/cool features were on IOS.- how times have changed.

I've moved the majority of the 'important and regularly accessed' items to 'Notes' - as it syncs IMMEDIATELY on all my IOS devices (something I though EN would do)...  

So my question to EN - will you fix the search one of these days... (or perhaps it a function of the sync - I DON'T KNOW - but on two machines in four different places - what - we think its my Mac's - both of them?) - hell - LIE TO ME FOR NOW TILL YOU CAN FIGURE A WAY TO MAKE THIS  PARTIALLY WORK.

So my question to the MAC users - any reasonable alternatives - of have you found other items which can fulfill some of the functionality so you are not tied to EN.

THIS IS THE ONLY SOFTWARE THAT WORKS WORSE ON A MAC - of all my troubles in my switch - ONLY EVERNOTE sucks on Mac - and its the one I would have bet the farm would have worked better.

RANT>>>>. just in case someone in the crystal tower actually cares!

For note taking I've been with GoodNotes - since EN decided to ***** those of us who paid for styluses they recommended.  No biggy right?  I terminated the accounts of three LLCs that day - and I made all my reps (1099) go the personal route and quit paying for them - so yes - few bucks EN lost.

Now you are threatening my basic archiving ability.  I pay for a commercial license for Microsoft - and there are those who love OneNote.  I pay for a full Adobe suite - no idea what they have - but their stuff does work.  I pay for dropbox, I pay for google, I pay I pay I pay - and yet - I still - EVEN NOW - defend EN...

I started with you around your inception - I've paid you ever since.  The note taking pissed me off - and I ended the accounts we used for white boarding because of it - but I always held onto a couple of accounts which I used for archiving.  This issue is enough to sever our relationship - and if you haven't seen the WRITING on the wall - its a TREND and one you don't need.

I'd suggest you don't loose site of your core-competency - because when you do - you will loose guys like me - who perhaps aren't paying you over $100/mo - but my advertising has gained you a thousand accounts.  Every small biz owner I meet - asked about that app I'm searching records on - and I go into my spiel - spending MORE time selling EN than my product.

I hope someone there pulls their head out of their butt that is high enough up to see the issue here.  I'm tired of EXCUSES that I'm the moron who doesn't know how to do something.

Believe me, the Windows version has its own major annoyances.

I usually don't like to complain because being a software engineer, I know how difficult it is to write good software.  But seriously, this application just has too many annoying bugs and weird and inconsistent design.  It is very frustrating.  Example of annoying bugs: on Windows, notes would seemingly randomly lose focus so when you start typing, nothing happens; on Mac, the app starts become unresponsive and spinning (Mac "beachball") every few seconds when you try to do anything, like simply typing.  And last but not least, text appearing completely different sizes between Windows and Mac.

It seems they are focused on mobile and view the desktop versions as simply afterthoughts since the former rarely get any updates.

I've had this problem most of this year on MacBook Pro  - I'm on Version 7.2.3 (456888 App Store) / OS X El Capitain

I switched from the direct download to the App Store version which slightly improved this but the heavy resource gobbling is still there.

I have found no solution other than to completely quit and start the app again (like I used to have to do with Windows).

Over a GB and a half in resource for a note taking app?  My video editing in FCP consumes less!

Literally the only app I have issues with on OS X.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, matthewscotthudson said:

I have found no solution other than to completely quit and start the app again

Quit/Restart is my process too; v7.5.2
I do this weekly as part of my backup process (full export).

Archived