Evernote for Mac 7.0 (UPDATE: 7.0.3, 7.0.2 & 7.0.1 hotfix)

Jason Creadore

Idea

Update 2:

Thanks for your input on 7.0.2. We have identified the root cause of a crash on exit affecting some High Sierra users. The fix will also be included in the future 7.1.0 Beta 2 release. Thanks! 

7.0.3 Release Notes:

- Comprehensive fix addressing the root cause for a crash on quit affecting some macOS 10.13 users
___________________________________________________________________________________

Update:

Thanks for your input on 7.0.1. We have identified a more comprehensive fix for a bug affecting some High Sierra users and are releasing it in 7.0.2, which can be found here. Thanks for the community feedback!

7.0.2 Release Notes:

- a more comprehensive fix for a top crashing issue
- a performance improvement for syncing so Spaces can be shared within one hour of adding a new Evernote Business user to your business

___________________________________________________________________________________

Update:

Thank you for your feedback on 7.0. We have iterated and are releasing stability fix for a bug affecting some High Sierra users. The 7.0.1 release can be found here. We are investigating a more comprehensive fix which may result in a subsequent dot release and are looking for community feedback on 7.0.1, particularly from High Sierra users. 7.0.1 Release Notes:

• Hotfix for crash affecting some macOS 10.13 users

------

Hello Everyone,

Today, we're announcing the general availability of version 7.0. You can download it here and it'll be available on the Mac App Store shortly. This version brings syncing fixes and a more conservative share count with cross-platform accuracy. 

It also includes more improvements to sharing and organization of teams and businesses. You can learn more about the Evernote Business Public Beta here.

Have a great weekend,

Jason and the rest of the Mac Team 
------------------------------------------------

Full Release Notes 

Evernote for Mac 7.0.0 Release Notes

Improved & Fixed:
• Fixed a syncing issue when renaming a notebook from the space view

• Fixed a sync issue when editing a space

• Made share status more accurate

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jason Creadore said:

Today, we're announcing the general availability of version 7.0

Is Mac 6.14 being dropped.  I'm currently testing the beta version

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Jason Creadore said:

Today, we're announcing the general availability of version 7.0. You can download it here and it'll be available on the Mac App Store shortly. This version brings syncing fixes and a more conservative share count with cross-platform accuracy. 

It also includes more improvements to sharing and organization of teams and businesses.

Jason, the last GA release was 6.13.3.  Since you did NOT make a GA release for 6.14 (although there were several betas), could you please list ALL new features and bug fixes since 6.13.3.

Are the only "improvements" for this GA for the Business Version?

Thanks.

would strongly suggest / recommend to add spaces for premium customers as well - this is an important improvement to organize projects and work flows. maybe don't let premium users share spaces, but for internal organization of information a more flexible approach to showing and organizing the stored information is way overdue from my perspective....

best,

Lorenz

17 hours ago, Jason Creadore said:

Is this software tested before it's released for general availability? Or is it just rushed out on a Friday evening before addressing bugs that users here have reported in this forum? The note list goes entirely blank anytime the user empties the trash or clicks on an empty notebook. This was reported by users in the 6.14 beta threads, and it's still present in the 7.0 general release. Might as well rename it to 7.0 beta 1.

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There was no beta for v7.0 but its a good idea to consider any .0 release as a beta.
Bugs don't usually get fixed until the later .n releases

As to bugs fixed in v7.0; the release notes stated

Improved & Fixed:
• Fixed a syncing issue when renaming a notebook from the space view
• Fixed a sync issue when editing a space
• Made share status more accurate

This bug was reported multiple times in the 6.14 beta threads. 7.0 is just 6.14 renamed. No excuse for releasing 7.0 to general availability without getting it fixed. Sloppy development. 

• Level 5*

Bug Report: The note list becomes invisible.  The entries are still there; we can click on them but we can't see them
This bug was also reported in earlier versions

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Thanks for clearing that up; I was thinking it might be a rollback

It doesn't matter whether it's version 7.0 or 6.14. Having the entire note list go blank every time the trash is emptied or the "Inbox" notebook is processed is a major inconvenience. As a premium user, I'm paying for software that's supposed to make my life easier. Having to downgrade back to 6.13 because the development team didn't properly address a bug that was reported numerous times in the 6.14 beta threads is annoying. This isn't a new bug. It was around before 6.13 and went months before a fix was developed in 6.13. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

There was no beta for v7.0 but its a good idea to consider any .0 release as a beta.

There was no beta for v7.0, but it is a good idea to consider any Evernote release as a beta.

There. Fixed it for you. :)

This one seems very slow to return search results compared to 6.14, and for other reasons, I blew a way my MacOS install and did a fresh format and install, this is a very clean Evernote database, freshly downloaded.

• Level 5*

Can someone explain why Evernote is spending so much time syncing? I upgraded to 7 a few hours ago, and it has been syncing ever since. The database was freshly downloaded on a new install of MacOS High Sierra last weekend using whatever was the most recent RTM version, not a beta. 100% of the data was downloaded.

It has been syncing for several hours since the upgrade to 7.0 and has written over 280GB of data! I only have 8-9GB. Given I have an SSD, and SSDs wear most when written to, this is reducing the life of my drive!

By the way, Evernote has only received 19.4MB of data, and sent a few hundred KB, so there is no justification for writing 280+GB.

See this note for a screen cap.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Does the activity log provide any info?

about 9,000 records of gibberish to me, but it keeps adding records. It isn't locked up. it is quite busy.

It goes to 10,000 records, then truncates the first 1,000 and continues counting to 10,000 records, then repeats the truncation.

Just closed and reopened Evernote, and the time it took me to read your reply and post my reply, it has written another 1 GB, and it keeps going up.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I saw a report where Evernote had detected a corrupted database, and attempted to rebuild the database from the server.

The corruption was caused by insufficient disk space.

The rebuild/sync loop stopped eventually; the ISP data limit was exceeded 

After restarting Evernote, it eventually finished. Wrote another 152GB. It isn't transferring data from the server. Only showed 2-3MB of data transfers. It is just grinding the SSD. Over 450GB in total written, presumably on that same 8-9GB of space the database actually occupies. It is freshly formatted drive, so right now I have over 70% free.

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-16 at 6:37 PM, Jason Creadore said:

announcing the general availability of version 7.0

Feature Change; the Recent Notes List (sidebar) has been moved to the Shortcuts List.  
There is no longer a separate list, or enable/disable option.

Personally, I like a clutter free sidebar.  I only display the lists when I need them.

There was a discussion here

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

That's great.  The only legitimate activity I can think of is building the search index, but I can't  see it using that much data

Exactly. Something is wrong, which is why I posted here. Hoping a dev takes notice.

[BUG] - Note not available on the left side of the "SideListView" even though notebook has some notes.

Hi Evernote Team,

In that long update, there is nothing for the normal and premium users :(. Also, to make things worse, there are bugs as well, and as some people suggested in the forum, it may be like a beta version. I am finding the issue, where a notebook has notes, but none of the note is visible in the left side view. In the notebook, it is mentioned it has 8 notes, I see note on the right side of the "SideListView" but not on the left side, as if it is totally blank. Please find the snapshot attached:

5a899daebdfbf_Screenshot2018-02-1816_34_48.thumb.png.e75ae684889eedbe4c012541781c527e.png

This is just one notebook, I have shared, but this is true for other notebooks as well.

Hope it is fixed soon. Thanks.

Is there only one developer working on Evernote? I was glad to see that we finally got a new major version.....at the end it is disappointing. this had to be version 6.* not 7.

The lack of development and new features is frustrating, while it is product with so many potentials. Calling this version 7 is ridiculous and doesn't hide the Evernote's biggest problem....there isn't any progress in the product anymore.

Or do I misunderstand the Evernote product releases and update strategy?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jhsbakker said:

I'm reading this release as being directed to the Business Accounts.
It's referencing the new Spaces feature.

I saw nothing in the release notes that would interest the non-Business user

42 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you post a screenshot of your setup5a89f20a89dbb_ScreenShot2018-02-18at13_36_44.png.9a7df576a0d7629b254592e08494702b.png
I'm able to view my shortcuts by clicking on the icon in the sidebar

Right-clicking in the sidebar allows seletions of the sidebar items

5a89f3215eed2_ScreenShot2018-02-18at13_40_17.png.7b08ea461c5cc0e624ae43c97edeefb2.png

When my sidebar is full size, nothing happens when clicking on Shortcuts

I can see the Shortcut list by compressing my sidebar to match yours

Thank you

no response.png

short ok.png

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Are you clicking on the expansion triangle to the left of the Shortcuts icon

My MacBook Pro is normally at 50% brightness, and I did not see the triangles to the left of the icons at that light level. I bumped up the brightness, and see them now.

Thank you!

On 2/17/2018 at 9:34 PM, EdH said:

Can someone explain why Evernote is spending so much time syncing? I upgraded to 7 a few hours ago, and it has been syncing ever since. The database was freshly downloaded on a new install of MacOS High Sierra last weekend using whatever was the most recent RTM version, not a beta. 100% of the data was downloaded.

It has been syncing for several hours since the upgrade to 7.0 and has written over 280GB of data! I only have 8-9GB. Given I have an SSD, and SSDs wear most when written to, this is reducing the life of my drive!

By the way, Evernote has only received 19.4MB of data, and sent a few hundred KB, so there is no justification for writing 280+GB.

See this note for a screen cap.

Can you send me your logs? Also, what does the last instance of "uncachedSize" show in your log? Normally that means the amount that still needs to be synced down.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Kokomo Lee said:

My MacBook Pro is normally at 50% brightness, and I did not see the triangles to the left of the icons at that light level. I bumped up the brightness, and see them now.

ATTN: @Evernote: (  @Chantal Leonard , @Johnathan Hebert, @Jason Miller ) 

The brightness of the expansion icons is way too low.  Please increase to the same level as the brightness of the item icons.

On 2/18/2018 at 12:05 PM, jhsbakker said:

Is there only one developer working on Evernote? I was glad to see that we finally got a new major version.....at the end it is disappointing. this had to be version 6.* not 7.

The lack of development and new features is frustrating, while it is product with so many potentials. Calling this version 7 is ridiculous and doesn't hide the Evernote's biggest problem....there isn't any progress in the product anymore.

Thanks for your feedback. Evernote 7.0 is a major update for those with a business subscription. We'll be rolling out more interesting stuff in the coming months for all subscription types. Stay tuned! 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, nicolml said:

Can you send me your logs? Also, what does the last instance of "uncachedSize" show in your log? Normally that means the amount that still needs to be synced down.

Will do. I'll send tonight when I get home. (macbook isn't at work with me)

43 minutes ago, nicolml said:

Thanks for your feedback. Evernote 7.0 is a major update for those with a business subscription. We'll be rolling out more interesting stuff in the coming months for all subscription types. Stay tuned! 

@nicolml

How about before adding new features you fix bugs that are present in the newly released 7.0 update. 

As a starting point...how about updating users on the status of a fix for the "blank note" list glitch that has returned in 7.0. This is incredibly frustrating. 

Evernote 7 for Mac crashes every time I quit it, even after I nuked all traces of it via AppDelete and reinstalled from scratch. Mac OS 10.13.3. Already filed a ticket.

Perhaps it's not good to distribute a major new release before a long weekend? ? 

I can't remove the "recent notes" list from the sidebar anymore. It also doesn't show up in the sidebar options in the menu bar. Is this intentional? What gives?

And yup, the invisible note list bug is back. This is embarrassing, to say the least.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, A. Antunes said:

I can't remove the "recent notes" list from the sidebar anymore. It also doesn't show up in the sidebar options in the menu bar. Is this intentional? What gives?

43 minutes ago, A. Antunes said:

Only the Evernote developers know what's going on. There has been no explanation as to the justification of this "innovation", it has not even been talked about in the release notes, even though it makes absolutely zero sense that recent notes cannot be toggled on the Apple platforms.

20 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

Oh, OK. I missed that announcement. But this doesn't really make the sidebar "clutter free". In fact it does the exact opposite, it only adds clutter. I don't want the recent notes list to show on the sidebar. I don't need it. I used to turn it off precisely because I like a cleaner, clutter free sidebar. I gotta say, even though I'm actually loving the new UI design and the new positioning of the new note button, this decision to keep removing customization options is really annoying. The recent notes list thing is something that I really wish they would reconsider.

17 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

My guess is the objective was to consolidate the shortcuts into a single list5a8c7877729d0_ScreenShot2018-02-20at11_32_48.png.dafcef941339f36638af23276b160b5e.png

As part of the shortcut list, the only enable/disable option is for the shortcut list
- yes, it does require an extra click to display the list

For a completely clutter free sidebar, adjust the width so the only the icons are displayed.
The lists are displayed when you click on the icon

Yup, that works for me! Didn't even know it was a feature. Thanks!

• Level 5*

Today, we're announcing the general availability of version 7.0

Bug Report: The expand/contract triangles are not functional in the Tag/Notebook Lists5a8cc8ed9115a_ScreenShot2018-02-20at17_16_01.png.10dec66c8b563c4cf68046eea7f541cd.png

These are the lists from long pressing the icon,
and the triangles that are so faint you can hardly see them

[Reposting from another thread]. Just upgraded to v7 (MacOS), and noticed the following sidebar behavior. With the disclosure triangle closed, you can still select the top-level item (for things like Notebooks, or Tags), and then the middle panel displays a full list of child items. But if you try to select Shortcuts with the disclosure triangle closed, you cannot do it, thus it won't display the child items. Seems like the behavior should be consistent, and it would certainly be helpful.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 5.40.04 PM.png

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, rkanes said:

But if you try to select Shortcuts with the disclosure triangle closed, you cannot do it

Each of the "disclosure" triangles (Shortcuts/Notebooks/Tags) works for me
Clicking on the triangle displays the list

Clicking on the Notebook/Tag icons switches you to the Notebook/Tag page.  There is no Shortcut page

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

Each of the "disclosure" triangles (Shortcuts/Notebooks/Tags) works for me
Clicking on the triangle displays the list

Clicking on the Notebook/Tag icons switches you to the Notebook/Tag page.  There is no Shortcut page

My note was about consistency in the left nav UI. You can select Tags, Notebooks, and All Notes, but not Shortcuts. And to your point about there not being a "page" for shortcuts as a functional explanation: they're just notes that you've created a custom link to, right? And since selecting Notes reveals a list of notes in the middle panel, the user might expect that selecting Shortcuts would likewise reveal a list of those shortcuts/notes in the middle panel. I grant you that you can use the disclosure triangle to accomplish the same thing, but that kind of affordance is well-suited to long lists where scrolling is expected, and I would guess that most people have a more selective list of shortcuts, in which case saving a step is a bonus, and helps put the "short" in shortcut!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, rkanes said:

And to your point about there not being a "page" for shortcuts as a functional explanation: they're just notes that you've created a custom link to, right?

Shortcuts can be links to notes, notebooks or searches; actually all three could be considered searches

Back to clicking on the shortcut icon; I'd vote for displaying the shortcut list since there's no page.

Jason,

I just upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.3 on Tuesday, February 20 and now realize that the issue below is probably related to my version of macOS. That is, when running 10.12.6 Evernote 6.14 beta 3 I did not have the open into blank page issue. 

When I click on any valid external hyperlink in any note (previous or new), the link opens into a blank page within my browser -- no address displayed. I can copy note link's URL and paste it into the browser so the link is definitely active. Again, the problem is with external links not links to other notes, which work fine. 

I just updated to 7.0.1 and the issue has not been resolved. 

2-26-18 UPDATE. I Restarted High Sierra this morning and clicking external hyperlinks now work. 

On 2/19/2018 at 4:31 PM, nicolml said:

I'm not typically a poster here (obviously) but I just want to say this about your response. As a long time user (Evernote tells me I'm user 169,158), I really don't care about more interesting stuff. I'd like to see progress made improving the editor. I'd like my note lists to stop vanishing - which was reported multiple times during the betas (as others mentioned). I'd like releases to be rolled out that don't crash every time the window is closed (7.0, 7.01).

Make some progress on those fronts, and I'll renew my subscription that I just now cancelled; because right now I can't understand why I'm paying more, but getting a product that isn't improving.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, stephen_bradley said:

I can't understand why I'm paying

I have a paid account.  There is  no charge for the software but I need the increased upload limits and enhanced features. There's documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Which-Evernote-product-is-right-for-me-

Evernote continues to process, store, and sync my data.  The editor is adequate for basic notes (but isn't word processing quality)

Re: the shortcuts issue. This accidentally worked (was trying to resolve the same problem) - remove and then add the shortcut link to the sidebar. Right click on "shortcuts" to remove, then right click on the sidebar to bring up the context menu, add "shortcuts." My shortcuts showed up as expected after doing this.

• Level 5*

The 7.0.1 release

Bug Report: Forcing a Classic Link copy
- no longer available in the Note Menu
- Classic Note Link is now the default when right clicking the note
  the command key switches the option

Hi All;

MacOS High Sierra and 8 year Evernote veteran here. For some reason the app store auto-updated me to the most current version of Evernote (7.0.1) and it's just broken entire workflows of mine. There are a whole bunch of issues that are preventing me from working. 

So I suppose my question is... how can I roll back until a stable, tested version is released? (I hate being a guinea pig...errr I mean early adopter). 

OR...

How can I fix these issues: 

1. Search terms saved to shortcuts don't have their name displayed when active. Instead it shows a bunch of quotes or "null". See screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym95xfafpxchb87/Screenshot 2018-02-25 17.29.20.png?dl=0

2. Search terms saved to shortcuts don't display the notes they should: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hhrflodlhr89by/Screenshot 2018-02-25 17.32.09.png?dl=0
(See: 7 notes found - but 0 displayed)

This is really frustrating and totally caught me off guard. I opened up Evernote to get some work done ... so hopefully I can figure out a solution soon. 

Thanks for your help. :)

Cheers

- Adam 

On 2/18/2018 at 3:25 PM, Kokomo Lee said:

When my sidebar is full size, nothing happens when clicking on Shortcuts

I can see the Shortcut list by compressing my sidebar to match yours

Thank you

When I saw this, I right clicked my left side bar and Shortcuts was selected in the pop up, but there was no down or side arrow next to shortcuts.  Your post made me think to disable and reenable (toogle off and then back on) shortcuts and they are now visable.  Thanks.  

On 2/20/2018 at 8:37 PM, DTLow said:

My guess is the objective was to consolidate the shortcuts into a single list

It's not available on any other platform bar iOS. Removing the recent notes feature seems like a more logical step. 

Not seen this mentioned elsewhere in the thread: the All Notes button which appeared when inside a notebook was removed in 7.0, without warning.

In my workflow, it's probably the most used button I have for moving between notebooks: I don't understand why it was removed, or why you didn't actually tell us it was being removed in the Software Update list of changes.

Can we have it back, please?

• Level 5*

In addition to the search bug I reported in another thread ...

I am also getting duplicate notes ONLY in the Mac app (not on iOS), especially when the notes are first created on my iPhone (where the notes are still not duplicated). This means that the note counts are not matching, even though everything is supposedly in sync. In my opinion, this is a rather serious issue. And, it seems to be somewhat related to a bug I reported a couple days ago (チケット# 2407353) about note titles and note content being out of sync (?) sometimes -- another case of things not working the same across platforms.

This is kind of incredible that such a high profile piece of software would push this to the App store with so many bugs. We're all here because we know where to go to look for support, but for everyone of us here, there are thousands of people out there whose software has just completely broken and they have no clue what's going on or what to do next. Unfortunately, I'm having to revert because 7.0.1 is unusable on High Sierra. I'd love to use it. The new UI looks great. But I need a functional tool more than a new layout. Looking forward to a stable, reliable version in the coming weeks. 

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Was there a specific issue you're having trouble with.  I found the v7 releases mostly transparent for my use

I did identify some bugs, but I'm not clear on your "unusable" isssue

Definitely. I posted about it in this thread, including screenshots 2 days ago. It's the same issue several other people are dealing with. Shortcuts aren't working properly. Saved searches aren't working properly. Searches are showing as "X notes available" without displaying any of the notes. There is inconsistent behaviour in several places. It just feels rushed and not thoroughly tested. 

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Adam S. Nolan said:

Searches are showing as "X notes available" without displaying any of the notes.

The invisible note list isn't just a v7 issue.  Be careful which version you downgrade to.

I agree it's annoying, and makes the app unusable

>>Shortcuts aren't working properly.

Shortcus are working for me

Long time Evernote user here. On macOS Sierra, MBP 13 late 2016.

One bug that's been there for many versions for me, is still there: every time I change font in preferences, Evernote crashes.

As for the new GUI, I hate that I can't hide "Recent notes". As mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't need them - ever! Will try to use the workaround with a compact sidebar as described above, but it's just a workaround, not a solution. It takes more time to make a "long click" on an icon to display a list etc, than having a clean list there all the time. Fortunately I'm used to use the keyboard shortcuts for my shortcuts.

I use reminders a lot in Evernote, as I use Evernote also for all of my todos. I can't see the point in dimming and decreasing size of the dates/times in the reminder list this much (screendump enclosed).

Normally I try to see the point in GUI changes with new versions, but this time I fail. 

Skärmavbild_2018-02-28_kl__08_44_23.png

Hi... After upgrading to version 7.x.x on my home iMac and iOS devices, all of the images that I had pasted into notes no longer show inline. They now show up as icons to view or download the image (or images completely gone as in the case of iOS app). See attached. On my work iMac, which I've kept on the previous version 6.x.x, the images still show up inline as they should.

BTW -- The images show up as they should on the Evernote Web version and previous version 6.x.x of work iMac. This issue seems to be related to the latest updates for Mac desktop and iOS versions only.

I'm also on the latest macOS High Sierra version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Evernote Image Placeholders.jpeg

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Are you also seeing the same image problem on your iOS device; or is the problem only on the one Mac?

On iOS, the images just appear as blank spaces.

BTW -- I'm not sure if the issue is consistent across all of my embedded images, but the only images that no longer appear inline on a page are TIFF files from screen grabs.

PDF's, JPG's, PNG's, etc... seem to appear inline correctly. TIFF images were appearing correctly in pre-7.x.x Evernote

Aaron

I have never needed to use the sidebar before, but now the New Note button is in the sidebar.  I had to hunt around for a good 45 seconds before I found it.

I can handle it being in a new place, but what I miss is the option to create a new note in a recent notebook. The old button had a drop-down to add a note to any of my most recently used notebooks, and I was using that feature almost every time I made a note (I switch between two primary notebooks a lot).  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Finn Ove said:

Some of my notes show up in spotlight search, but not all. Mostly noticed on iOS, but now also on Mac. Dont know when this happened.

You might try rebuilding5a984d1339f07_ScreenShot2018-03-01at10_55_56.png.0d889194e57289c9c22121c552152770.png the search index
Option Key Help > Troubleshooting > Recreate

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-28 at 6:03 AM, AaronWW said:

the only images that no longer appear inline on a page are TIFF files from screen grabs.

I was able to confirm your results - a .tiff image is no longer displayed inline
There is no inline option when right-clicking

On 2/16/2018 at 9:37 PM, Jason Creadore said:

Update:

Thanks for your input on 7.0.1. We have identified a more comprehensive fix for a bug affecting some High Sierra users and are releasing it in 7.0.2, which can be found here. Thanks for the community feedback!

7.0.2 Release Notes:

- a more comprehensive fix for a top crashing issue
- a performance improvement for syncing so Spaces can be shared within one hour of adding a new Evernote Business user to your business

Well, it might be a "more" comprehensive fix, but it didn't solve the problem at my end.

7.0.2 crashing 100% of the time on exit, iMac 5k 2014, 32GB RAM, macOS 10.13.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:41 PM, DTLow said:

I have a paid account.  There is  no charge for the software but I need the increased upload limits and enhanced features. There's documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Which-Evernote-product-is-right-for-me-

Evernote continues to process, store, and sync my data.  The editor is adequate for basic notes (but isn't word processing quality)

I have a paid account too, until it expires, and have basically since they opened their doors. I'm completely aware of the pricing plans, I'm not sure how that figures into my comment. I'm paying for software that, as far I can tell from the user end, isn't improving and is in the most recent releases, deteriorating (as I can now not close the window without it crashing).

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-23 at 4:58 PM, stephen_bradley said:

because right now I can't understand why I'm paying more, but getting a product that isn't improving.

On 2018-03-01 at 6:15 PM, stephen_bradley said:

I'm completely aware of the pricing plans, ... I'm paying for software that, as far I can tell from the user end, isn't improving

>>I'm not sure how that figures into my comment

I explained

• my understanding of why I'm paying
  • and that there is no charge for the software.  There's also no charge for  the updates,

The reminder showing in latest version will result in missing reminders. 

I Just updated the evernote to the latest version - Version 7.0.2 , and found the reminder display is very awful. 

The new version display the reminders in different note books where the note belong to. This will result in reminder has no use at all. Because if you don't open the note book which has a important reminder, you could not see it and will miss that reminder for sure. 

Please add a new button to show all remind at a glance, or simply put back the way to display reminder as previous version. In that way, all reminders no matter belong to which note book are displayed in one list on the top.

Hope you fix this problem as soon as possible.

Thanks !

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, jimtest said:

The new version display the reminders in different note books where the note belong to.
...Please add a new button to show all remind at a glance...

You have the option of selecting All Notes, or a specific notebook5a9a8ddbb4b57_ScreenShot2018-03-03at03_54_37.png.a1b39efe6aca92f9cb76e7738291886b.png

• Level 5*

Bug Report: Notification when moving notes between notebooks5a9a8f937b08a_ScreenShot2018-03-03at03_54_11.png.84665f55d1f733256c43f06a5718e3cc.png

I'm seeing this warning whenever I move notes
Even if neither notebook is shared

This was discussed here 

Bug: Flashing notes list when note saves or syncs (Version 7.0.2 (456267 App Store))

I have Evernote set up to view in Snippet view mode. 

The notes list flashes and flickers every time the note I'm working on in the note pane view saves or Evernote syncs.

This happens regardless of whether I'm working in the main Evernote window or the note is open in separate window. 

Evernote flashing note list bug.mov

Is anyone here still getting a crash when closing or minimizing Evernote for Mac? If so, please DM me. I have a test build I'd like to have someone try and help us out with.

Much appreciated. 

On 19/02/2018 at 1:26 AM, DTLow said:

Feature Change; the Recent Notes List (sidebar) has been moved to the Shortcuts List.  
There is no longer a separate list, or enable/disable option.

Personally, I like a clutter free sidebar.  I only display the lists when I need them.

There was a discussion here

Version 7.0.2 (456267 App Store)
Editor: 1.38.3824 (68bd1c0)

Dear Evernote team,

I love the product, I think the work you're doing is amazing, and super useful. One of the features in the current release (see above) made my life a little tricky.

With this new release Recent Notes were made a part of the Favourites section on the Sidebar. 

I have a lot of personal content in Evernote, I also use Evernote at work all the time. When I use Evernote on the big monitors in the office, I don't want to be showing to half my office the titles of my personal notes that now pop up in Recent notes section. In previous versions I always disabled Related Notes, or Recent Notes features because I don't want them popping up at inappropriate times on my screen. Now I no longer have that option. Please add it back. Privacy is an important concern, and I want to have full control of what notes / note titles appear on my screen. In the interim I'm no longer going to use the Shortcuts section which is quite inconvenient, because it is very useful. I just want to be able to fully curate what goes in there.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you.

Also posted here: 
23 minutes ago, adorno's gray said:

Wow. This new release sounds like an absolutely unmitigated disaster. For the first time since I began using Evernote—which was many years ago—I'll hold off until a stable release. And I expect many others are as well.

It's really unfortunate that general availability updates from Evernote can't be trusted. It's the only app where I have to turn off automatic updates because they constantly break. It's been over 2 weeks since 7.0 launched and not a single update on the "blank note list" glitch. You would think having the note list go blank whenever the user empties the trash or clicks on an empty notebook would warrant a fix, but here we are over 2 weeks later. 

Hi Evernote Team,

Evernote_RELEASE_7.0.2_456266

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.3. still getting this bug where the images aren't displaying in my notes:

0C6C1151-F9F5-4CEA-8CDD-54587AFDE0A8.png.e63d3ea666876e72089991ded16cdf90.png

Looking forward to this fix - thanks!

This hotfix doesn't work on Sierra 10.12.4, I updated and my current notes were still missing (appeared as blank) on my laptop !
I had to found an older installer (v6) and by chance managed to force delete all traces of the previous update and rebuild my entire database to make it work, fix your things if you expect us to pay for it !

I won't update again anytime soon !!

I really don't know if it's been mentioned before. I think this version makes that notes that were capture, or has been with this version too, with the web clipper and they have a table inside, or the whole note it's inside of a table, to be compressed to the left for some reason. 

I don't know why, but it isn't the first note I've come across like this, some of them recently captured. 

5aa7928a192ad_ScreenShot2018-03-13at10_43_26.thumb.png.100a50a2d22676bc2a15865e92009017.png

WAHOO!!!   In version 7.0.3, the recent notes list can once again be hidden.   They have restored this feature and instantly that silly list went away! :)

THANK YOU Evernote for listening and making this happen!  It was very frustrating.

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-15 at 12:18 PM, Greg Jewett said:

WAHOO!!!   In version 7.0.3, the recent notes list can once again be hidden.

I'm running version 7.0.3 and I see no option to hide the recent notes list5aaaca332d1af_ScreenShot2018-03-15at12_29_22.png.8cd20e0eb986dfcc3622a5202c602761.png
The list is still appearing at the bottom of the Shortcuts List

The Shortcuts List can be hidden.  
I chose to use a minimal sidebar (icons) and only display the lists when I need them.

The notification when moving a note into a shared folder is even more obnoxious than the basic notification of just moving a note. I do this several times a day, and i've been doing it for many years. I think i know what i'm doing and i do not need to be told over and over and over again. On the first notification there should be a check box which says "do not notify me again". That's what a well done program would do. I'm a premium user since 2009.

Bulletting Bug

The penchnt for Evernote to insert itself into my work process has become annoying and irritating. I've been using Evernote for among many other things, a collection of quotations. I have more than 3,000 quotation and they have been in Evernote for many years now.

I long ago settled on a standard format which i use for searching, Following eachquotation, on a new line i enter the name of the author of the quotation preceeded by 2 hyphens and a space. It looks like this:

-- Herni Nouwen

Under 7.0X this is now impossible. If you make a hyphen then a space at the beginning of a line, Evernote turns it into a Bulleted line. If you manually unclick the biullet button, it reverts to the name, but WITHOUT the hyphen. In other words, you can not start a line with a hyphen and a space. I use 2 hyphens and a space, but MacOS turns 2 hyphens into a long dash. I figured a way around this years ago, by typing one hyphen and a space and the name, and then going back and adding the second hyphen at the beginning. This is no longer possible. When i want bullet points, i can click the button and turn on bullets, but Evernote no longer allows me to use a dash without turning it into a bullet.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jfkaess said:

If you make a hyphen then a space at the beginning of a line, Evernote turns it into a Bulleted line.

I turned off the feature in Evernote > Preferences > Formatting5aae7054361cb_ScreenShot2018-03-18at06_55_27.png.95e099e82b29aa8a40682ef22c19be0c.png
Exit and restart Evernote after adjusting this

Classic Link.

Classic link (CL) has now disappeared from the menu (+option) with the only and maybe the final way to access it is via right click +option on the message itself. I have watched CL slowly disappear over the years. I need to be honest: EN without a classic link is almost useless to me. What I really want is CL to become available as a permanent selection in preferences and to be added to iOS. I rely on CL extensively in project and task  management.  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jarisillanpaa said:

I need to be honest: EN without a classic link is almost useless to me. What I really want is CL to become available as a permanent selection in preferences and to be added to iOS. I rely on CL extensively in project and task  management

@Evernote:

I completely agree.  Having/Using the Classic Link is critical to workflows I use many times a day.

I use the Classic Link in the following ways:

1. In other EN Notes, to link related content.
  2. In documents of other Apps, like my Outlook Contacts and Calendar
  3. In Internet Location Files (.inetloc) stored in project folders -- a quick double-click opens the EN Note for that project.
    1. I have an AppleScript that uses the currently selected EN Note to create the .inetloc file
      (if anyone is interested in this script, I'd be glad to share)
  4. In many AppleScripts.
  5. etc.

And it is very important to open the EN Note in the native EN Mac app as I often need to edit the Note.  I do NOT want to be distracted by first opening a web browser.

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-27 at 10:30 AM, jarisillanpaa said:

I have watched CL slowly disappear over the years.

I continue to have access to the Classic Note Link.
I use it daily, obtained by:

1. As you mentioned, Mac Note List right click
  2. Mac, drag a note into another note
  3. Mac Note Menu, or IOS share menu; the link has two urls
    • Classic link when pasted within Evernote
    • Browser link when pasted outside Evernote
  4. Mac scripts (AppleScript).        set theLink to note link of selectedNote

With this release we lost the ability to force the Classic Link in the Mac Note Menu.  I reported this as a bug and am waiting to see if it gets resolved.

On 03/03/2018 at 5:24 PM, grahamefendle said:

Bug: Flashing notes list when note saves or syncs (Version 7.0.2 (456267 App Store))

I have Evernote set up to view in Snippet view mode. 

The notes list flashes and flickers every time the note I'm working on in the note pane view saves or Evernote syncs.

This happens regardless of whether I'm working in the main Evernote window or the note is open in separate window. 

Evernote flashing note list bug.mov

Still an issue in Version 7.0.3 (456407 App Store).

• Level 5*
On 2/16/2018 at 8:37 PM, Jason Creadore said:

Update 2:

Thanks for your input on 7.0.2. We have identified the root cause of a crash on exit affecting some High Sierra users. The fix will also be included in the future 7.1.0 Beta 2 release. Thanks! 

7.0.3 Release Notes:

- Comprehensive fix addressing the root cause for a crash on quit affecting some macOS 10.13 users

When you have a new release, could you please start a new topic, as has always been done in the past?  It is very confusing, and we do NOT get notifications when you just update the OP.

IAC, looks like some major bugs still in, or maybe created by, your new Ver 7.0.3 release:

• Level 5*

I prefer to have topics devoted to each release. It also helps when new folks jump into the forums, because the threads can be closed easily when we move onto a new release, and people are less likely to confuse existing and past issues. 

By the way, it really helps to tell us what was fixed (as you did this time). Then, we can check if it really was, and we also know the problem has been noted and dealt with already, so we can pass on the information (as jm did above) to others. Thanks for doing that!

On 3/15/2018 at 3:18 PM, Greg Jewett said:

WAHOO!!!   In version 7.0.3, the recent notes list can once again be hidden.   They have restored this feature and instantly that silly list went away! :)

THANK YOU Evernote for listening and making this happen!  It was very frustrating.

I thought so too - when I opened my updated app, there weren't any more "Recent Notes" in the sidebar! I was super excited!! But then I viewed a few notes and the section came back. I HATE this, UGH. It makes it so much harder to find what I'm looking for when I'm trying to work. What is even the point of forcing it on us?

Archived