Is it possible to restore missing notes (folders) from Time Machine?

Dear Evernoter's

Due to this incident: 

I would like to go back in my backups and see if I can restore old motes.  I have the timemachine backup for the longest time.

Is it possible to restore individual folders from TimeMachine? 

If not, it it possible to restore Evernote to another location on my computer and then open it to find the missing notes.

I am really in trouble right now. Big trouble as a matter of fact. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, peterskouhus said:

Your best solution is to restore the entire database folder; individual note notebooks/folders are difficult to identify

You want to be offline to avoid sync activity

OK, than you for the anser. Lets say I restore a the old database from Timemachine and get Evernote running again, and find my old notes...

what then happen when I start syncing, with the old notes be added again and the notes created since the backup downloaded to Evernote?

Also, can you tell me what files I need to get.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, peterskouhus said:

Also, can you tell me what files I need to get.

1. Go offline to stop sync activity
  2. To identify your database folder, use Option-Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder5a83b08023bdf_ScreenShot2018-02-13at19_43_03.png.210712f885a371e3420cd4e486487a31.png

This will point you to a folder, for example
/Users/david/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com/1156250

3. Copy this folder to another location so you can restore it later

>>Lets say I restore the old database from Timemachine and get Evernote running again, and find my old notes

4. Save those notes using the Export-to-.enex feature
     Do a separate export for each notebook

>>when I start syncing, with the old notes be added again

5. Before going online, restore the the database you copied in 3

6. To add your recovered notes, use the Import feature with the .enex files you created in 4

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, peterskouhus said:

I would like to go back in my backups and see if I can restore old motes.  I have the timemachine backup for the longest time.

If not, it it possible to restore Evernote to another location on my computer and then open it to find the missing notes

While it is not practical to restore selected Notebooks (what you are calling "folders"), you can do the latter -- restore your entire Evernote DB and App from Time Machine, then EXPORT the Notes of interest.

See How to Restore Selected Notes from Mac Time Machine (TM) to EN Mac 

If you have ANY questions or doubts, please ask before you proceed.

Archived