Left Panel auto collapse and will not behave

hakont

Idea

Using Evernote 6.9.6.6729 with Windows 10

Some time ago, the Left Panel stopped behaving.

When I click the little triangle in front of Notebooks and then in front of a stack, I can see the notebook that I want to "work in".

I click on the notebook name, and see all of my notes, listed.

When I start working in a note, the Left Panel collapse.

Frustrating :-( Does other users experience similar?

20 replies to this idea

On 15.3.2018 at 10:09 PM, CalS said:

Got me, just another user here.  You might want to file a bug report.

I just tried this and everything in the left panel stayed the same.  Don't know what to tell you other than the above.

I wonder why you are not experiencing this. Are you using Windows 10? Are you running as a Windows User, not Administrator?
If I "tree down" the Tags or Shared, they tend to stay down, even after Evernote for Windows do it's Sync.
But the Notebooks does not. I thank the other users who confirm that this issue is not only mine, and I've submitted support ticket #2468147 as a bug report.

It is frustraiting that it takes this long time and no one at Evernote seems to take charge.
Are the developers not looging to the forums to find issues with their software?

I have a similar problem (left panel won't stay open) but for me F10 doesn't do anything!  The F11 works normally, but F10 is completely dead.

I work on a laptop, and when booting with out the docking station, my left panel is always collapsed no matter what I do.  When booting connected to docking station, my left panel is open and stays open.

I don't enjoy rebooting just to get the Evernote left panel and F10 to work properly.  Is there any way to fix my F10 with out a reboot? 

• Level 5*
On 4/30/2018 at 3:10 AM, hakont said:
On 4/12/2018 at 5:08 PM, dconnet said:

That information is all kept in the files supporting an exb (such as the .context file). Repeatedly losing this information suggests something on your system is corrupting/deleting those files (anti-virus maybe?). In-house, we have not been able to recreate any conditions where this information has been lost...

What?

Oh.. you did reply in the wong thread, yes?

I'm guessing that it's a reply to the correct thread. Translation: the settings for the left panel are kept in one of the files associated with your notes database (<username>.exb), possible <username.exb.context. If that file got corrupted or deleted, then that could explain the left panel behavior you're seeing.

I've also been having this problem... for what seems like a long time.

I was on 6.11.??? and I just upgraded to 6.12.2.7134 (307134) Prerelease (beta) and it also seems to have fixed the problem for me. (finally! It was driving me mad.)

On 12.4.2018 at 3:15 PM, XanderDC said:

I just rolled back my version to 6.5 and it seems to back to normal now.

After updating to 6.12.1.7092 this bug seems to have been solved.

On my Windows-install, the "Left panel" no longer colapses back, after I drill down to sub-notes.

Thanx for fixing this, Evernote Developers!

And thanx you for verifying the bug when I posted a support ticket. That kept users from formating, re-installing Windows, etc.

On 12.4.2018 at 11:08 PM, dconnet said:

That information is all kept in the files supporting an exb (such as the .context file). Repeatedly losing this information suggests something on your system is corrupting/deleting those files (anti-virus maybe?). In-house, we have not been able to recreate any conditions where this information has been lost...

What?

Oh.. you did reply in the wong thread, yes?

Same exact issue here. The folders on the left side kept collapsing up to the high level folders, and the start up tips kept reappearing up top after some time. I had been hoping that the issue would end up getting resolved with one of the many update releases since the issue began.

I just rolled back my version to 6.5 and it seems to back to normal now.

Windows 7/User rights/Evernote Pro

On 4.4.2018 at 2:52 PM, CalS said:

Windows 10 Pro, running as user.  My standard setup is with the left panel closed, but I don’t have the issue you describe whenever the panel is open.  I really don’t have any idea why we are having different experiences.   Have you tried the new release 6.11?

image.png.feca996f6f83223b897818e04eb8ae7b.png

Yes, I use the latest v6.11.7027

Knowing that other users is experiensing the "Left panel closing"-ussie, I did post a support ticket.
The reply contains this:

We’ve had a few other reports of this behavior, and our development team has been urgently investigating. However, there is not currently an estimated time of resolution to offer.

If you would like, you can roll back to the version 6.7.5 to prevent the notebook and tag lists to collapse.

Almost two month later...

Thanx to @mbal1856 and @jjocsak for your help. Hopefully other who seek answer to this bug will find info, here (y).

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, hakont said:

It is frustraiting that it takes this long time and no one at Evernote seems to take charge.

It's possible that they can't reproduce the problem, or at least reliably. That can make it difficult to fix. I've never seen it myself, either.

Are the developers not looging to the forums to find issues with their software?

Why, yes, they do. And they post sometimes as well.

There are other Evernote employees who probably monitor the forums more closely than the developers do, and report issues into their bug tracking database. After all, you  probably want developers to be spending more of their time writing code than scanning user forums, don't you think?

• Level 5*

Are you using Windows 10? Are you running as a Windows User, not Administrator?

Windows 10 Pro, running as user.  My standard setup is with the left panel closed, but I don’t have the issue you describe whenever the panel is open.  I really don’t have any idea why we are having different experiences.   Have you tried the new release 6.11?

19 hours ago, hakont said:

Thank you!
Now I know that this issue might only occure to me. That was helpfull!

Just found this thread and I am having the same problem, its not just you.  Happened within the last couple weeks for me.  I use evernote all day at work and like to keep the stack on my work notebook expanded to be able to navigate through the different folders.  Now when I expand the tree, after a couple minutes it completely collapses.  Also at the same time this started happening, everytime I open Evernote, the Let's get started panel is always there.

I just updated to V6.10.3 and also tried deleting it and reinstalling in.  I'm running Windows 10

On 15.3.2018 at 10:09 PM, CalS said:

I just tried this and everything in the left panel stayed the same.  Don't know what to tell you other than the above.

Thank you!
Now I know that this issue might only occure to me. That was helpfull!

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, hakont said:

Is it posible for Evernote developers to reproduce this? Is it a known bug? Are you currently working on fixing this problem?

Got me, just another user here.  You might want to file a bug report.

9 hours ago, hakont said:

But I do have "Left Panel (F10)" open, and I use the small arrows to drill down to the Notebook I am currently working in.

The notebook is selected and I see all the notes in the Notebook listed in the "Note List (F11)".

I click on the Note I want to work on and start writing. When Evernote (now updated to v6.10.3.6921) do a sync (I think), the "Left Panel" is colapsing and is no longer showing me the tree-structure and no longer show my selected Notebook.

On 2.3.2018 at 7:03 PM, CalS said:

Do you have Scroll left panel item into view when the item is selected checked under Tools - Options - Navigation?  In my setup I don't have the left panel open but it seems this option might cause the left panel to change when you change notes.

No, I do not have Scroll left... selected.

But I do have "Left Panel (F10)" open, and I use the small arrows to drill down to the Notebook I am currently working in.

The notebook is selected and I see all the notes in the Notebook listed in the "Note List (F11)".

I click on the Note I want to work on and start writing. When Evernote (now updated to v6.10.3.6921) do a sync (I think), the "Left Panel" is colapsing and is no longer showing me the tree-structure and no longer show my selected Notebook.

This problem startad some time ago, this year, and was not there before.

Is it posible for Evernote developers to reproduce this? Is it a known bug? Are you currently working on fixing this problem?

options.PNG

• Level 5*

No, it is not the Note Panel, but the Left Panel (F10)

I tend to "tree" down and stand on the folder I'm working in.

Or for Evernote: The Notebook I'm working in.

There I see all the notes in that Notebook, but after a few seconds, the Left Panel (F10) is automatically colapsed back.

I'v updated to v6.10.1.6801 (306801) and it did not change or solve this problem.

Do you have Scroll left panel item into view when the item is selected checked under Tools - Options - Navigation?  In my setup I don't have the left panel open but it seems this option might cause the left panel to change when you change notes.

No, it is not the Note Panel, but the Left Panel (F10)

I tend to "tree" down and stand on the folder I'm working in.

Or for Evernote: The Notebook I'm working in.

There I see all the notes in that Notebook, but after a few seconds, the Left Panel (F10) is automatically colapsed back.

I'v updated to v6.10.1.6801 (306801) and it did not change or solve this problem.

Archived